Then protest this:
From (THE BRITISH NORTH AMERICA ACT, 1867)
93. In and for each Province the Legislature may exclusively make Laws in relation to Education, subject and according to the following Provisions:--
(1) Nothing in any such Law shall prejudicially affect any Right or Privilege with respect to Denominational Schools which any Class of Persons have by Law in the Province at the Union:
(2) All the Powers, Privileges and Duties at the Union by Law conferred and imposed in Upper Canada on the Separate Schools and School Trustees of the Queen's Roman Catholic Subjects shall be and the same are hereby extended to the Dissentient Schools of the Queen's Protestant and Roman Catholic Subjects in Quebec:
(3) Where in any Province a System of Separate or Dissentient Schools exists by Law at the Union or is thereafter established by the Legislature of the Province, an Appeal shall lie to the Governor General in Council from any Act or Decision of any Provincial Authority affecting any Right or Privilege of the Protestant or Roman Catholic Minority of the Queen's Subjects in relation to Education:
(4) In case any such Provincial Law as from Time to Time seems to the Governor General in Council requisite for the Execution of the Provisions of this Section is not made, or in case any Decision of the Governor General in Council on any Appeal under this Section is not duly executed by the proper Provincial Authority in that Behalf, then and in every such Case, and as far as the Circumstances of each Case require, the Parliament of Canada may make remedial Laws for the due Execution of the Provisions of this Section and of any Decision of the Governor General in Council under this Section.(50)
93A. Paragraphs (1) to (4) of section 93 do not apply to Quebec. (50.1)
Regardless of these laws, many provinces in Canada have overturned the old Protestant and Catholic education systems in favour of public education, because many courts have applied the principle of separation of church and state....well, at least that was before Harper came along! Now we can expect Catholic schools, Evangelical Protestant schools, Muslim schools, Sikh education schools, Jewish schools etc. etc.. because the Tories are trying to buy immigrant and minority voters the same way conservatives do in the U.S. -- by using religion. They already tried this and failed in Ontario, but no doubt they'll try it again.
Now that we are seeing the same creeping influence of religion in politics that the U.S. has experienced over the last 30 years: The Armageddon Factor by Marci MacDonald
, sounds like a book on the Christian Right in Canada has come out just in time! There's no point in just letting the same process that turned U.S. conservative politics into an article of faith overtake us without objection!