Is Avaaz An Unregistered Lobbiest

74 replies to this topic

#46 Bitsy

Bitsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:23 AM

If it walks like a duck...and quacks like a duck....chances are it's a duck. Co-founded by Moveon.org....that removes all doubt. Ricken Patel....interesting how someone who is 33 years old, educated at Harvard and Oxford....but never held a real job....can gain so much spotlight through our beloved CBC. Here's an excerpt from his posting on "friendster".....seems like an Ignatieff clone who's "just visiting". Barbs aside, it's clear that like Ignatieff, he's fallen in love with the US.

Link: http://profiles.friendster.com/1365712

Thanks for the link, even though it seems to be a bit dated, it gave me a connection to Ricken Patel; one good-looking, intelligent man of action who has a strong sense idealism and is willing to put his life on the line in his pursuit of social justice. All I can say, New York’s gain, Canada’s loss. If he is in love with the US, the feeling is mutual.

#47 Evening Star

Evening Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

Baloney...

I take it then, since you don't want to see any favouritism you would like to see CBC Newsworld removed from the must carry tier, not to mention every other channel in the must carry tier...

Time to end the license then for APTN...TVA etc etc....Did you know that all cable companies are required to carry TVA? Even though they may have no viewers in Red Deer?

But at least acknowledge that this is a different issue than actually trying to block/silence/censor/shut down a media outlet. The issue of funding the network with our cable fees is the specific issue addressed by the petition (regardless of what language is used or what hidden motives anyone might perceive). Why shouldn't Canadians care about their cable fees?

Since all Canadians fund the CBC, it makes sense that it should be made available to all Canadians. I don't know the details of every network that has a must-carry licence but I have to assume that the decisions are made on the basis of whether a public good is served by this. I certainly think it's fair to question that in this case. Whether TVA should have a must-carry licence is a separate issue.

"American-style hate media" may or may not be a simplistic OTT generalization but I can't see how it could be interpreted as a slur against all Americans, certainly no more so than if I were to describe the Sun as "British-style tabloid sensationalism". It's clearly a reference to a particular sort of media outlet that is found in the US. Of course, you are always free to lodge a hate speech complaint against Avaaz on those grounds and see how well you do...

#48 Argus

Argus

Has more eyes than you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,756 posts
  • Interests:Peace, Order and Good Government

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

They are not trying to silence another voice; they are asking that the other voice not be shown any special favoritism. I would expect that to sit well with most people. I like a level playing field if I am playing

So you would agree then that cable shouldn't be required to carry the CBC or CBC Newsworld?

It appears that you guys are the ones who want to silence a voice; the voice of Avaaz, the voice of the people who signed the petition. In the States, anyone can file a petition in support of or against any cause, it is no big deal but you guys have elevated this petition to a completely new level.

In the states big money has total control of almost all politicians and sets the political agenda, writes the bllls, and controls congress, the senate and the White House, as well as the individual state houses and assemblies. I don't think many Canadians would want to import that kind of a system.

It is an international organization not an American lobby group,

If it's an international organization then it's not permitted to interfere in Canadian elections. Which is exactly what the people here you're arguing with have been saying.
“Public opinion, I am sorry to say, will bear a great deal of nonsense. There is scarcely any absurdity so gross, whether in religion, politics, science or manners, which it will not bear.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

#49 M.Dancer

M.Dancer

Mocker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,000 posts
  • Interests:every single word Kimmy has ever posted

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

If it's an international organization ....

It's an International Organ in the same way that the CIA is...
RIGHT of SOME, LEFT of OTHERS
If it is a choice between them and us, I choose us

#50 Argus

Argus

Has more eyes than you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,756 posts
  • Interests:Peace, Order and Good Government

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the link, even though it seems to be a bit dated, it gave me a connection to Ricken Patel; one good-looking, intelligent man of action who has a strong sense idealism and is willing to put his life on the line in his pursuit of social justice. All I can say, New York’s gain, Canada’s loss. If he is in love with the US, the feeling is mutual.

Are you an employee of this organization? You seem to have only showed up with a big chip on your left shoulder during this discussion.
“Public opinion, I am sorry to say, will bear a great deal of nonsense. There is scarcely any absurdity so gross, whether in religion, politics, science or manners, which it will not bear.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

#51 Bitsy

Bitsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

So you would agree then that cable shouldn't be required to carry the CBC or CBC Newsworld?

I am not a Canadian and I know nothing about the channels a provider is required to carry. Reading Evening Star’s post, if CBC is funded by your taxpayer dollars, I certainly do think it should be available to all Canadians.

In the states big money has total control of almost all politicians and sets the political agenda, writes the bllls, and controls congress, the senate and the White House, as well as the individual state houses and assemblies. I don't think many Canadians would want to import that kind of a system.

Good on you; I hope that never happens in Canada. You are very astute; I wish American’s were as cognizant of what has happened to our country, as you seem to be.

If it's an international organization then it's not permitted to interfere in Canadian elections. Which is exactly what the people here you're arguing with have been saying.

I will repeat what I have said previously, quit arguing that fact on this forum and contact your local and federal officials about the illegality of this organization. I do not know your laws but each of you seem to have a knowledge of them….so demand the laws be enforced.

#52 Bitsy

Bitsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

It's an International Organ in the same way that the CIA is...

Or maybe like the UN? :lol:

#53 M.Dancer

M.Dancer

Mocker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,000 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

Or maybe like the UN? :lol:

Does the UN file taxes with the IRS?

#54 M.Dancer

M.Dancer

Mocker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,000 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

I am not a Canadian and I know nothing about the channels a provider is required to carry. Reading Evening Star’s post, if CBC is funded by your taxpayer dollars, I certainly do think it should be available to all Canadians.

CBC has a terrestial broadcast signal. which all cable companies must carry, and a cable spot, which all cable companies musr carry. They also sell ads on all their TV properties. Lop sided playing field from the get go..3 streams of revenue (taxes, ads and cable fees) |Yet this american lobby feels that Canadians shouldn't have another new3s source available to all cable paying canadians. Shameful.

Good on you; I hope that never happens in Canada. You are very astute; I wish American’s were as cognizant of what has happened to our country, as you seem to be.

Yet now we have amercian PAC foisted on us. Shame.

#55 Bitsy

Bitsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Are you an employee of this organization? You seem to have only showed up with a big chip on your left shoulder during this discussion.

Nope, just a Usian who enjoys politics and an exchange of ideas. I was told that this was a very good forum with a variety of opinions, and a good mix of American politics. You are correct though that I lean left, but there is no chip on that shoulder, and I regret that you see me in the light. I have tried to be courteous in my responses and attempted to mix a little humor in but it obviously you see it differently. I am a member of Move-On, however, for whatever that is worth.

#56 capricorn

capricorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,128 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

The poster seems intent on getting someone from the forum take some type of action against Avaaz. The lawyers at Avaaz must be in need of cases.
"We always want the best man to win an election. Unfortunately, he never runs." Will Rogers

#57 Bitsy

Bitsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

CBC has a terrestial broadcast signal. which all cable companies must carry, and a cable spot, which all cable companies musr carry. They also sell ads on all their TV properties. Lop sided playing field from the get go..3 streams of revenue (taxes, ads and cable fees) |Yet this american lobby feels that Canadians shouldn't have another new3s source available to all cable paying canadians. Shameful.

Where do the profits of this revenue stream go, into whose coffers? I know whose coffers would be filled with these profits if Sun Media attained the must-carry license they wanted, and it won’t be the people of Canada or the Canadian government.

Yet now we have amercian PAC foisted on us. Shame.

I think the shame lies on all of you who will not demand that either your laws are enforced or that they are changed so that an international group or an American PAC group are not allowed to voice an opinion in your country.

#58 Bitsy

Bitsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

The poster seems intent on getting someone from the forum take some type of action against Avaaz. The lawyers at Avaaz must be in need of cases.

Nope, just tired of reading the carping that what Avaaz did was illegal. If it's illegal do something to stop them; if it's not, give it a rest, capice?

#59 capricorn

capricorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,128 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

Nope, just tired of reading the carping that what Avaaz did was illegal.

Then why not just moveon.

If it's illegal do something to stop them; if it's not, give it a rest, capice?

Or else, what?
"We always want the best man to win an election. Unfortunately, he never runs." Will Rogers

#60 Evening Star

Evening Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

According to this article, even CBC's and CTV's all-news channels will no longer be protected by must-carry licences next year:

http://www.hilltimes...oxtv-06-28-2010

I certainly don't think it's in a public broadcaster's mandate that it should compete 'on a level field' with commercial broadcasters in a free market, btw, though I would be happy to see less commercials on CBC.

Reply to this topic