Photo

The concept of "calling"

7 replies to this topic

Poll: The concept of "calling" (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe you have a calling?

1. Yes and it is a task set by God (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Yes but it has nothing to do with God (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. No but God hasn't revealed it yet (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. No but I haven't discovered it yet (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I don't believe in calling (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

6. don't know / don't care (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 cybercoma

cybercoma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,532 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

It seems to me that the notion of calling, which was originally a religious concept, no longer bears the religious connotation it once had. I'm wondering if people believe in the notion of calling and whether that belief is secular or religious.

#2 cybercoma

cybercoma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,532 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

The poll is anonymous, btw.

#3 Bonam

Bonam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

I picked the nothing to do with god option. I think what people define as calling probably varies quite a bit. Personally, I just see it as a deep/persistent desire to do/achieve something specific in one's life.

#4 Manny

Manny

wont post here anymore

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  • Interests:This forums sucks, because of Greg and his miserable goon.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:51 AM

God does not micro-manage the universe. God is more like a gambler. Actions in the universe are based on probabilities, which lead to likely/ unlikely outcomes but there is no certainty. Randomness and chaos exists on a small scale, but on a grand scale there is a structure, there is direction and momentum toward some unknown end. So that we humans as individuals have the freedom to choose.

#5 Black Dog

Black Dog

Extremely critical of Hamas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,412 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about how nobody uses the phone anymore, it's all just texting and e-mail.
America...."the world’s largest, best-armed shopping mall."-Ivor Tossell

#6 Moonlight Graham

Moonlight Graham

Don't Feed The Trolls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • Interests:farting into the wind

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Also depends your concept of "God". To me, God is some great natural force. I liken it to "mother nature". If nature creates a person who can naturally throw a baseball 100mph, and they love playing it, that could be considered a "calling".

To me just about everyone has one or many great passions that drive their whole being and give their life true meaning and goals. Some people have this but are for some reason ie: working at a job they consider boring when they have other passions they just don't take the risk to pursue. But i suppose a "calling" or passion certainly doesn't have to be a paid job. Can be being a parent also.

If you listen to Tony Robbins he says that one of the main sources of depression is people not pursuing their passions that give them great inner meaning and satisfaction.

"Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice, without constraint." - Alexander Hamilton

9/11 sucked, so then what about this?:  "Did you know that today 27,000 children will die of preventable diseases such as diarrhea, measles, and malnutrition? That's the same as if an airplane full of children crashed every 16 minutes, killing everyone onboard." - The Salvation Army

#7 fellowtraveller

fellowtraveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

Tony Robbins definitely has a calling: fleecing the lost and gullible by telling them what to do,say and think.
It is almost like a religion.
The major difference is the taxable status of his assets vs His assets.

Man created God, therefore any conceivable construct - including a calling- is entirely possible once you take that leap of faith.
The government should do something.

#8 fellowtraveller

fellowtraveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

I do have to admit that a belief in 'calling' has a major personal advantage.
If it turns out you were wrong and you hate what you do, or suck at what you do after committing everything to it, you can always blame God for blowing your assignment.
The government should do something.

Reply to this topic