Experts Say Iran Attack Is Irrational, Yet Hawks Are Winning the Debat

57 replies to this topic

#16 dre

dre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

I'm not really sure what the answer is here. I think it's really too early for any action on Iran. If Israel feels threatened though, I don't think there will be any stopping a conflict.

Im really not even sure theres a question that needs answering? Israel, Iran and other countries in the middle east are run by militant scumbags. Weve spend the better part of the last century trying to fix the problems in that god forsake dump. We oughtta just stop doing it. If Iran and Israel want to negotiate a treaty where they both give up their nuclear problems, thats fine. If they want to have an arms race thats fine too. We should not intervene any more than we did when India and Pakistan were building nuclear weapons... and its a good thing they did because they have had the longest period of relative peace in a hundred years now that MAD doctrine is in place.

Who f__king cares? Not me.

I question things because I am human. And call no one my father who's no closer that a stranger

#17 DogOnPorch

DogOnPorch

Klown Without Pity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts
  • Interests:Propane and propane accessories.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

re: bub's post

Wild Bill: Bud opens up with a couple of experts who believe one side of the argument. He appears to take their views as gospel, as facts of the universe that can't be denied. By his lights, if you disagree you simply must be wrong!

As mentioned, an 18kt device (or so) would merely level Tel Aviv. That you think Iran is doing atomic R&D alongside ICBM development for peaceful purposes is quite amusing. If this were a game and I was playing Iran, I'd want the %@#&* Bomb. The chances of anyone other than Israel responding in kind are quite low. As my clever wife commented last night: 'The world will sit on the sidelines and see how this pans out. They can condemn the side that throws the first punch while giving a great big "Meh" to whomever gets flattened like a pancake.' Or something to that effect. She's right.

dre's post above is just what I'm talking about. Kaboom...meh.
:lol:

Edited by DogOnPorch, 23 February 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Nothing cracks a turtle like Leon Uris.

#18 dre

dre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

re: bub's post

Wild Bill: Bud opens up with a couple of experts who believe one side of the argument. He appears to take their views as gospel, as facts of the universe that can't be denied. By his lights, if you disagree you simply must be wrong!

As mentioned, an 18kt device (or so) would merely level Tel Aviv. That you think Iran is doing atomic R&D alongside ICBM development for peaceful purposes is quite amusing. If this was a game and I was playing Iran, I'd want the %@#&* Bomb. The chances of anyone other than Israel responding in kind are quite low. As my clever wife commented last night: 'The world will sit on the sidelines and see how this pans out. They can condemn the side that throws the first punch while giving a great big "Meh" to whomever gets flattened like a pancake.' Or something to that effect. She's right.

dre's post above is just what I'm talking about. Kaboom...meh.
:lol:

Yup, and history shows thats the right approach. Theres all kinds of countries working on all kinds of "kaboom". If we went to war every time a country built the means to threaten its neighbors the cold war would have been hot and a billion people would have died. Same if we had intervened in India and Pakistans Kaboom games.

At the end of the day the best way to avoid Kaboom is if both sides of various conflicts have a mutual respect for the other guys Kaboom. A nuclear Iran would quite likely lead to the most peaceful period the middle east has ever seen.

I question things because I am human. And call no one my father who's no closer that a stranger

#19 DogOnPorch

DogOnPorch

Klown Without Pity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Iran eats its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbdEf0QRsLM

I don't trust 'em enough to not eat me, too, given the chance. So your era of peace I feel would more be an era of blackmail and terrorism...perhaps nuclear terrorism. But, the world will still go "Meh" until real interests other than Jews or Iranians are at stake. Watch...

Edited by DogOnPorch, 23 February 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#20 dre

dre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Iran eats its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbdEf0QRsLM

I don't trust 'em enough to not eat me, too, given the chance. So your era of peace I feel would more be an era of blackmail and terrorism...perhaps nuclear terrorism. But, the world will still go "Meh" until real interests other than Jews or Iranians are at stake. Watch...

You dont have to sell me on that, I agree, and thats exactly what the world SHOULD do. We cant stop everyone on earth who wants to fight from fighting. The west cannot even fund their own governments never mind stop retards around the world round from killin each other.

And this potential conflict has no good guys. Both sides have been provoking each other, and ratcheting up the rhetoric. If dont really see any way we can stop them from fighting if they want to fight.

#21 DogOnPorch

DogOnPorch

Klown Without Pity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

You dont have to sell me on that, I agree, and thats exactly what the world SHOULD do. We cant stop everyone on earth who wants to fight from fighting. The west cannot even fund their own governments never mind stop retards around the world round from killin each other.

And this potential conflict has no good guys. Both sides have been provoking each other, and ratcheting up the rhetoric. If dont really see any way we can stop them from fighting if they want to fight.

Can you remind me when Israel provoked Iran? Taking out their terrorist interests in Gaza? I guess that would piss 'em off!

Edited by DogOnPorch, 23 February 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#22 dre

dre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Can you remind me when Israel provoked Iran? Taking out their terrorist intrests in Gaza? I guess that would piss 'em off!

Sure, theyre openly talking about bombing them for one thing. THey invaded and occupied lebanon which has a fairly large Shia majority. Theres a good chance they are sponsoring car bombings and attacks on Military bases inside Iran and possibly cyber warfare as well.

These two countries talk like they want a fight. Its either a huge game of chicken or they really do fancy killing each other.

#23 DogOnPorch

DogOnPorch

Klown Without Pity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Sure, theyre openly talking about bombing them for one thing. THey invaded and occupied lebanon which has a fairly large Shia majority. Theres a good chance they are sponsoring car bombings and attacks on Military bases inside Iran and possibly cyber warfare as well.

These two countries talk like they want a fight. Its either a huge game of chicken or they really do fancy killing each other.

Now why did Israel invade Lebanon for the second time again? Hmmmmmmmmm....toughie.

Re the rest: 'Your Honor, there's a "good chance" the defendant is guilty so I move we proceed straight to sentencing.'

Edited by DogOnPorch, 23 February 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#24 dre

dre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Now why did Israel invade Lebanon for the second time again? Hmmmmmmmmm....toughie.

Re the rest: 'Your Honor, there's a "good chance" the defendant is guilty so I move we proceed straight to sentencing.'

Thats exactly your position on Iran. They might be refining Uranium beyond whats necessary for civilian power, and if they are they might have a nuclear weapons program, and if they do they might get a usable bomb someday, and if they do they might use it, or the might give it to terrorists.

Saddam might have had huge active WMD programs too!

#25 GostHacked

GostHacked

Watching you watching me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,470 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

If Bud and his experts are wrong, they themselves will not suffer in the slightest! They have no skin in the game, as it were.

There is also the possibility that Bud is right. It should be easy to see that this whole war on terror would eventually bring the sites on Iran. What would you do if you saw the country on either side of you get bombed and taken over by the west? What would your course of action be? Would you try to appease knowing it's useless? Or would you try getting some kind of deterent in place?

Israel and the US have already tried to goad Iran into attacking them. Iran has not taken the bait, seems they are a little smarter than that. Iranian scientists getting killed. Iran hacked the drone the US was using over Iran. Multiple military sites within Iran that houses their national guards attacked/destroyed.

Noooooo we don't pay attention to the covert war already going on. We just want to say IRan is bad so another war can be started. Anyone tired of all this stupid war? I am ....

But another war needs to be started. Money needs to be made.
Google : Webster Griffin Tarpley, Gerald Celente, Max Keiser
ohm on soundcloud.com

#26 DogOnPorch

DogOnPorch

Klown Without Pity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Thats exactly your position on Iran. They might be refining Uranium beyond whats necessary for civilian power, and if they are they might have a nuclear weapons program, and if they do they might get a usable bomb someday, and if they do they might use it, or the might give it to terrorists.

Saddam might have had huge active WMD programs too!

Why did Israel invade Lebanon?

Saddam had a huge WMD program. Plus he was good at hiding things. It wouldn't surprise me if nerve gas precursors turned up buried in the desert years down the road.

#27 DogOnPorch

DogOnPorch

Klown Without Pity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

...they might get a usable bomb someday, and if they do they might use it, or the might give it to terrorists.

They're close, I'd say. I thought Iran was going to test one when Dinnerjacket pronounced big news in the nuclear department (never happened...the blast nor his announcement). My bet is by container-ship as close to Tel Aviv as it can get re: delivery. An ICBM capable device is still a ways off. But oddly, Iran is testing high speed re-entry shrouds...so qui sais? Maybe they're ready there, too.

#28 Moonlight Graham

Moonlight Graham

Don't Feed The Trolls

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts
  • Interests:farting into the wind

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

If this were a game and I was playing Iran, I'd want the %@#&* Bomb.

And if I were Iran all this sabre-rattling would make me want it 50x more. If there's any country in the freaking world right now that could use a bomb to secure itself from foreign attack, it's Iran.

The chances of anyone other than Israel responding in kind are quite low. As my clever wife commented last night: 'The world will sit on the sidelines and see how this pans out. They can condemn the side that throws the first punch while giving a great big "Meh" to whomever gets flattened like a pancake.' Or something to that effect. She's right.

I disagree with you & your wife. If Iran tries to close the Strait of Hormuz, or blockade Saudi oil ships, the Saudis and the US almost certainly get involved, as may other regional and NATO players. There's a lot of interests happening in the region. Look what happened in Libya, do you think the US and others will stand by if there's a war in the region of MUCH greater stakes? Israel & Iran don't live in some little bubble.

#29 DogOnPorch

DogOnPorch

Klown Without Pity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

And if I were Iran all this sabre-rattling would make me want it 50x more. If there's any country in the freaking world right now that could use a bomb to secure itself from foreign attack, it's Iran.

That won't secure nuthin', frankly. They'd better use it wisely.

I disagree with you & your wife. If Iran tries to close the Strait of Hormuz, or blockade Saudi oil ships, the Saudis and the US almost certainly get involved, as may other regional and NATO players. There's a lot of interests happening in the region. Look what happened in Libya, do you think the US and others will stand by if there's a war in the region of MUCH greater stakes? Israel & Iran don't live in some little bubble.

That would be interests outside Jews and Iranians killing each other...no?

I stand by my:

Watch...

#30 Smallc

Smallc

as in just a little

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,324 posts
  • Interests:Politics and Cars

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Who f__king cares? Not me.

I agree with you, really. You won't see me making the same arguments with regards to Iran that I did for Syria. There is absolutely zero reason for anyone to go into Iran, save an actual credible threat.

Reply to this topic