Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpankyMcFarland

Doctors and opioids, a troublesome connection.

59 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2017 at 7:38 PM, hernanday said:

We need to lock them up and throw away the key so they can get clean.  The problem is laziness and poor morals and a culture which has not taught these kids right from wrong so they engage in rampant drug use, lock them up, re-educate them.

Oh I see... youre just kidding. Sorry!

On 4/10/2017 at 1:40 PM, dre said:

Oh I see... youre just kidding. Sorry!

No, I am serious, lock those thugs up, life in prison for druggies.

On 2016-10-03 at 2:19 PM, Machjo said:

Perhaps it's time we required any prescription for a particularly addictive drug like an opiod to get two physicians' signatures? Just a thought.

That would cost the medical system too much.  Too many people visiting doctors already for very questionable reasons.

When I was visiting Manitoba last year, I found they had brought in a new regulation requiring anyone to get a doctor's prescription to buy 222s with caffiene & codiene.  So when you have a headache and need some 222s, you can't even walk into a drugstore and get them.  I was shocked.  This is costing Manitoba a fortune.   You must wait until the walk-in clinic opens and go sit there, maybe for a couple hours.  Glad I don't live in Manitoba.  How much does it cost the medical system in Manitoba for one doctor's visit?   Far more than the cost of a bottle of 222s.

Posted (edited)

http://archive.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/what-happened-to-the-poster-children-of-oxycontin-r65r0lo-169056206.html

http://www.cnn.com/specials/health/painkiller-opioid-addiction

Rather than saying 'I can handle it', supporters of prescription opioids need to look at the overall statistical risk of addiction in patients who have been prescribed these drugs. The risk of subsequent drug abuse is particularly high in young people.       

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

On 4/12/2017 at 3:38 AM, hernanday said:

No, I am serious, lock those thugs up, life in prison for druggies.

What about all the geezers who take massive doses of opioids for back pain?

BTW driving while stoned on opioids is commoner than we would like to think. Lots of older people are doing it. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

It's off topic a little but so is this.  A lot of doctors lack a clue, it seems.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/antibiotic-prescriptions-1.4105460

In both instances, doctors have an obligation to do what is right for the patient and the community even if it is not what the patient wants, and patients should not be going to their doctors demanding these things either. The threat from antibiotic resistance is terrifying. Bacteria have been at this game for many millions of years and adapt rapidly. Meanwhile, drug companies are spending their resources on all sorts of exotic medications when they really should be figuring out ways to stop us regressing to the Victorian era in treating infection. We need a new funding model where companies are paid to develop antibiotics that are used as sparingly as possible. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland