Political Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boges

Bell blaming CRTC Super Bowl decision for Layoffs.

Boges    105

Bell just announced a round of layoffs and is blaming the media landscape and the fact that the CRTC is allowing cable customers to watch US Networks with US ads instead of the Canadian ads being put in over top. They pay a lot to show the Super Bowl in Canada and now the CRTC has stripped their ability to profit off of it. 

This is Chum in the water for member BC2004, but it's still a very debatable topic.

And the NFL is chiming in, they don't like the CRTC decision and wants Trump to step in. Clearly the price Bell/CTV is willing to pay for the Canadian rights to the Super Bowl. If they know that the US Network, that's showing the same program is showing ads that will be Watercooler talk the next day (even if they're not marketed to them in any way) they won't pay even remotely the same price to the Shield as they had previously. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/crtc-nfl-superbowl-ban-1.3953865

"We have raised this with all levels of government here in the U.S. and Canada. This is on the Trump administration's radar," Jocelyn Moore, the NFL's senior vice-president of public policy and government affairs, told CBC Radio's The House.

"We are very, very hopeful that this will be resolved before the Super Bowl."

Business relationship cast into doubt

Moore said she understands how popular the American commercials are, but argues the heart of the dispute is over a public tribunal interfering in a contract between two businesses.

"Look, if any American company, whether they're in Canada already or seeking to do business with Canada, when they look at this example of two entities, one U.S and one Canadian, entering into a contract and then that contract in the middle is kind of retroactively undermined, I think they have to question the lack of business certainty in Canada," said Moore.

Bell and the NFL have already gone to the courts to ask that the CRTC decision be put aside, arguing that the regulator has no jurisdiction to prohibit Canadian ads under its simultaneous substitution (sim sub) regulations, and that the ban contravenes the Copyright Act.

?Impact    54

I can get over the air CBS, NBC, and PBS. I will have to try and see if I can get Fox, although that is not an option for most Canadians depending on where they live. Things have certainly changed from the days where cable meant community access television and was essentially about sharing a common antenna placed on a mountain, etc.

Now the business model is substantially different. I think timing is a big issue here, when did Bell negotiate the contract for the Superbowl and is the CRTC decision changing that. I have no love for Bell, but if they negotiated a contact based on the premise of simultaneous substitution then that should be honored. If they were aware however at the time of negotiating the contract that this change was coming, or at least possible, then too bad you rolled the dice and lost.

Boges    105

Even so, it's a substantial loss of potential revenue. 

Its not like they can justify less ad revenue because the price of Super Bowl rights is left. 

However that lower rights fees may get the NFL involved. They don't want less money either. 

In seeming conflict with its mandate to protect "Canadian culture", the CRTC has actually been complicit with the proliferation of U.S. broadcast and cable media content in Canada.   "Free" carriage of U.S. network broadcasts from multiple cities in different time zones on cable systems in Canada is inexplicable given that Canadian media compamies have paid for the rights to prime time and other U.S. programming.

The Super Bowl ads kerfuffle resulted from years of complaining by Canadians who were missing out on U.S. ad content, which ironically was determined to be culturally significant....for the United States.

If CanCon has no viable funding model without U.S. programming, suspending simsub as a policy seems counterproductive and sets a death spiral precedent.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Boges    105

The Super Bowl is the only time simsub becomes an issue. Then again it's also the only time people actually seek out the ads as much as they do the broadcast. 

12 hours ago, Boges said:

The Super Bowl is the only time simsub becomes an issue. Then again it's also the only time people actually seek out the ads as much as they do the broadcast. 

I agree with that for this narrow issue and intense Canadian demand for the U.S. programming/ads (Super Bowl).  However, the actual mechanics of simsub present other issues for timing and missing program content.  As I understand it, the CRTC requires that Canadian broadcasters request each incidence of simsub, making the practical default circumstance of U.S. commercials not being blocked/substituted, regardless of Canadian audience preferences.

I hope the Canadian audience thoroughly enjoyed U.S. Super Bowl commercials they fought so hard to see.

I found the game to be far more interesting....congrats to Tom Brady and the Patriot organization for a stunning comeback in overtime.

Omni    391
19 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I hope the Canadian audience thoroughly enjoyed U.S. Super Bowl commercials they fought so hard to see.

I found the game to be far more interesting....congrats to Tom Brady and the Patriot organization for a stunning comeback in overtime.

Canadians are equally enjoying the Trump/DoJ episodes as well as the lovely job SNL has been doing of poking such fun at the clumsiness of the current WH admin.

Thanks USA USA

Looks like Canadians are so giddy about finally being able to see U.S. advertising during the Super Bowl, there is a state broadcaster follow-up story about the actual ads.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/super-bowl-51-2017-super-bowl-commercials-1.3968174

Seems fitting....Canadian government regulator mandates ad access, so government broadcaster has story about same.   After all, this is the first year that the CRTC has stepped on simsub for the American programming (NFL Super Bowl).

Which kinda has me wondering...are production values for Canadian commercials as bad as the CanCon programming ?

Omni    391
13 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Looks like Canadians are so giddy about finally being able to see U.S. advertising during the Super Bowl, there is a state broadcaster follow-up story about the actual ads.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/super-bowl-51-2017-super-bowl-commercials-1.3968174

Seems fitting....Canadian government regulator mandates ad access, so government broadcaster has story about same.   After all, this is the first year that the CRTC has stepped on simsub for the American programming (NFL Super Bowl).

Which kinda has me wondering...are production values for Canadian commercials as bad as the CanCon programming ?

How long have you been such an ardent fan of CBC?

?Impact    54
On 2017-02-06 at 3:00 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Looks like Canadians are so giddy about finally being able to see U.S. advertising during the Super Bowl

A lot of us Canadians have been getting free over the air Superbowl since it began, advertising and all. Many border stations have (had) a larger market in Canada then they do in their host cities.

Sign in to follow this