Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Charles Anthony

Insults and proper names

au contraire, lil' buddy... as I said in your most recent pissant whinefest, your objections to the fine declaratives such as, "ShadyPractices and/or ShadyDubiousSources" are misplaced - these are certainly not names; rather, they are simply, as I stated, useful explanatory descriptive aids.

I doubt you are being fully candid. Sounds like a small bit of sarcasm.

Edited by jbg

Wow this turned into a train wreck in a hurry. Almost mirros the 'forum facilitators' thread.

Can I get my /facepalm icon now?

Is he the guy who calls me "Bubbles" all the time? :lol:

Actually, I heard that from Kimmy once, and sort of took it as my own. But yep, if other people are allowed to break the rules, I'm not gonna be the only sucker that follows them.

your objections to the fine declaratives

I don't have any objections to any of the names I'm called. I just suggested that if we're going to start following the rules, dealing with the biggest problems are the best place to begin.

Great idea Charles. This needs a bump as the name calling and use of improper names is out of control.

Bumping is fine. But banning might be better. A simple one time warning, and then gone.

Can I get my /facepalm icon now?
Yeah, I second that motion. I am DEFINITELY taking that one to management pronto!

$#@! you,Smallc...you're a %$/"!*

That's nothing compared to what I think about you, you *%$&($#. :P

Bumping is fine. But banning might be better. A simple one time warning, and then gone.

Thats a little severe. I'd like to see more suspensions though.

You think you should be banned for calling me "Bubbles"? That's a bit much, I think. I don't even care.

But mighty big of you to blame Kimmy. :lol:

I think it's about time someone stepped in and called for order. Not that I think calling someone 'bubbles' is cause for suspension, but the continuing insults and name calling is getting ridiculous. Warning first, then suspension, maybe 3 and you're out ?

BUMP

I think it's about time someone stepped in and called for order. Not that I think calling someone 'bubbles' is cause for suspension, but the continuing insults and name calling is getting ridiculous. Warning first, then suspension, maybe 3 and you're out ?

Yes.

yes! Clearly, in recent days we've had a couple of MLW members call the leader of the Liberal Party a "shylock" and a "scumbag".

Guest Derek L

yes! Clearly, in recent days we've had a couple of MLW members call the leader of the Liberal Party a "shylock" and a "scumbag".

Indeed.....such offenses are akin to one MLW member calling another a "silly bugger".......As I understand it, that’s also another reference to one that practices sodomy…….clearly said member would have no such inclination if the member he or she claims to be a “bugger” does indeed practice sodomy……….Hence personal attack?

good point! Is there a difference between a personal labeling, say labeling someone a 'silly buggar'... and labeling actions as a said 'silly buggar act'? As an act labeling vested in British tradition... what better venue to reference than the Cambridge dictionary:

=> play silly buggers - UK slang
=> Definition › to behave in a silly, stupid, or annoying way:

Guest Derek L

good point! Is there a difference between a personal labeling, say labeling someone a 'silly buggar'... and labeling actions as a said 'silly buggar act'? As an act labeling vested in British tradition... what better venue to reference than the Cambridge dictionary:

=> play silly buggers - UK slang

=> Definition › to behave in a silly, stupid, or annoying way:

And in British tradition, a bugger is what?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bugger

1bug·ger noun \ˈbə-gər, ˈb-gər\
Definition of BUGGER
a : a worthless person : rascal
b : fellow, chap
: a small or annoying thing <put down my keys and now I can't find the buggers>

as a going forward insightful review to aid in interpreting personal insults... versus labeling acts/actions, when is a noun... a verb? I guess... never, right?

as an aside, perhaps I've unintentionally struck a nerve over your use of the scumbag label for the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada. I suggest we move on from this thread - yes?

Guest Derek L

as a going forward insightful review to aid in interpreting personal insults... versus labeling acts/actions, when is a noun... a verb? I guess... never, right?

as an aside, perhaps I've unintentionally struck a nerve over your use of the scumbag label for the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada. I suggest we move on from this thread - yes?

Pot.....Kettle? ;)

I don't think it is an issue if we throw insults at the people being discussed about in the thread.

I do have an issue with throwing insults at each other.

I don't think it is an issue if we throw insults at the people being discussed about in the thread.

I do have an issue with throwing insults at each other.

CA has an issue with insulting anyone, regardless of whether they're here or not.

And he's the one whose opinion matters.

And in British tradition, a bugger is what?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bugger

Yes, I ran afoul of those English traditional usage myself once. I called some the ex-RCMP commissioner Chretien's bumboy. To me, that meant lackey or sniveling yes-man. But in English tradition it was a sodomite sort of thing, so I got suspended.