Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
jdobbin

Alberta Election

Recommended Posts

Your right with that. There are actually few rural ridings once you consider the smaller cities.

My prediction

PC 55

LIB 20

WRA 5

NDP 3

I like your numbers it would mean Ed would be booted at the very first leadership review, and Ted would have a shot again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I like your numbers it would mean Ed would be booted at the very first leadership review, and Ted would have a shot again.

Vote for anybody you want, just vote. My hope is that the PC Party gets a rude wakening, I am betting on vote splitting surprises all over the place. That is a high hope, but what is life without hope?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I am a young voter, who believes strongly in voting, but here's my beef for today.

I do not know where my polling station is and elections.ab.ca does not work. It freezes before it tells you where your voting station is, and when you call the 877-422-8683 contact us number, it is busy, busy, busy.

How do they expect to increase the dwindling voter turnout when people who want to vote can't even find out where their polling station is. It surprises me that they can't even put up a website that is able to handle traffic on election day.

If anyone knows of another place I can get this information... Please let me know.

:wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If anyone knows of another place I can get this information... Please let me know.

:wacko:

Call any of the candidates in your riding.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok, I am a young voter, who believes strongly in voting, but here's my beef for today.

How do they expect to increase the dwindling voter turnout when people who want to vote can't even find out where their polling station is.

:wacko:

Some folks need to be taken by the hand and spoon fed. :rolleyes:

Gee whiz, busy on election day. Imagine that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I like your numbers it would mean Ed would be booted at the very first leadership review, and Ted would have a shot again.

I'd welcome 'Ted' having a shot again, particularly if he repeats the grievous error of welcoming the fundies aboard his campaign.

He got slapped down once, an encore would be welcome.

Ted Morton was rejected not just by Tories, but by all Albertans since thousands of non-Tories joined the Party to make sure Morton had no chance of winning.

A modern democracy has no place for idiocrats like Morton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd welcome 'Ted' having a shot again, particularly if he repeats the grievous error of welcoming the fundies aboard his campaign.

He got slapped down once, an encore would be welcome.

Ted Morton was rejected not just by Tories, but by all Albertans since thousands of non-Tories joined the Party to make sure Morton had no chance of winning.

A modern democracy has no place for idiocrats like Morton.

If Stelmach goes down it's going to be corporate Jimmy from Calgary that is your next leader. More then likely will be asking someone who just fought through an election to give up their seat for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In looking at the answers to my question earlier I understand the concept of smaller cities and such but shouldn't the electoral boundaries reflect where the population is? I mean if Edmonton and Calgary carry 2/3 of Alberta's population shouldn't they carry 2/3 of the seats? It seams like pretty simple math to me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In looking at the answers to my question earlier I understand the concept of smaller cities and such but shouldn't the electoral boundaries reflect where the population is? I mean if Edmonton and Calgary carry 2/3 of Alberta's population shouldn't they carry 2/3 of the seats? It seams like pretty simple math to me?

Firstly they aren't 2/3rds of the population. That's just a convenient rounding off. They are not 66% of the population but 62% of the population. They have 51 of 83 seats. The remaining 32 seats are among the other 38%. Most of those are not 'rural' but cities. Have you been to Red Deer? Lethbridge, etc.?

As stated, the provincial ridings are more evenly distributed by population than the federal ridings. There are only a few rural ridings in Alberta with significanly less population than urban ridings. In contrast there are federal ridings in Canada that are ony 20% the size of others. MLAs and MPs represent their constituants and it's recognized that representing a riding spanning hundreds of kilometers is much more difficult than one compact as in a city. The MLA for Wood Buffalo or Peace River can't be everywhere at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If Stelmach goes down it's going to be corporate Jimmy from Calgary that is your next leader. More then likely will be asking someone who just fought through an election to give up their seat for him.

Stelmach won't go down. He's going to win a decisve majority.

And it would be Jimmy? How do you knpw that? It was suppose to be Jimmy last time...just like it was going to be Ignatieff for the Federal Liberals. Giulliani for the Republicans. Hillary for the Democrats.

Such assumptions are folly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Firstly they aren't 2/3rds of the population. That's just a convenient rounding off. They are not 66% of the population but 62% of the population. They have 51 of 83 seats. The remaining 32 seats are among the other 38%. Most of those are not 'rural' but cities. Have you been to Red Deer? Lethbridge, etc.?

As stated, the provincial ridings are more evenly distributed by population than the federal ridings. There are only a few rural ridings in Alberta with significanly less population than urban ridings. In contrast there are federal ridings in Canada that are ony 20% the size of others. MLAs and MPs represent their constituants and it's recognized that representing a riding spanning hundreds of kilometers is much more difficult than one compact as in a city. The MLA for Wood Buffalo or Peace River can't be everywhere at once.

Ok well I'm not saying the federal formula is any better, there is only two truly urban ridings in Edmonton federally, that being Strathcona and Edmonton-centre the rest get attached to some part of rural Alberta. For example Rona Ambrose riding is 170st west, Spruce Grove, Stony Plain and others. I think the federal formula sucks even harder. Only other question is why is it the Alberta legislature works the least amount of days of any leg don't they? I mean actually sitting in the leg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, predictions only count if they're posted before 8pm (close of polls).

54 PC

18 Lib

7 NDP

4 WRAP

52% turnout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok, I am a young voter, who believes strongly in voting, but here's my beef for today.

I do not know where my polling station is and elections.ab.ca does not work. It freezes before it tells you where your voting station is, and when you call the 877-422-8683 contact us number, it is busy, busy, busy.

How do they expect to increase the dwindling voter turnout when people who want to vote can't even find out where their polling station is. It surprises me that they can't even put up a website that is able to handle traffic on election day.

If anyone knows of another place I can get this information... Please let me know.

:wacko:

Call Brian Mason. He'll steal a bus and drive you to the polling station himself. If you voted for him,, that would be a 100% increase. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my prediction

PC 52

LIB 21

WRA 5

NDP 5

Perhaps this is the start of the Wildrose Alliance taking away big chunks of the rural vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, is there going to be any breakthrough change tonight? Will Stelmach get less than Medvedev in Russia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a chance of a breakthrough. When your choices are Left, More Left and Really Left for the main three parties, Alberta will always go to the right. The WRAP will make inroads, but not any of consequence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what happened to the "Edmonton will go PC and Calgary will go Liberal"?

That's all the pundits have been talking about for the last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So what happened to the "Edmonton will go PC and Calgary will go Liberal"?

That's all the pundits have been talking about for the last week.

Looks like that came somewhat true... the Liberals did pick up two so far in Calgary, but lost several in Edmonton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taft was just declared with 46% in his riding. Only 46%? What happened there?

That might have been premature. He doesn't have that one in the bag yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm almost in shock at the Liberals collapse. I fought they would gain some seats but not come out with less. They really have to get rid of Taft and look in the mirror at whether they want to continue with some of there policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My prediction: (drum roll, please)

Conservative 63

Liberal 18

NDP 2

I was off by 10 seats or so. I'll give myself a B.

The PCs did better in the Edmonton area than I thought they would. My Calgary riding went Liberal (I didn't expect it). I voted Green and am glad at least here they topped the NDPoops.

The people have spoken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...