Political Discussion Forums
DogOnPorch

Your Favorite Aircraft

Love aircraft..the vintage ones from 50 years ago are facinating. It might be a boy thing..they are the coolest toys in the world. Super modern aircraft move to fast - they are a chore to fly - G forces tramatize the body....to fly without pain and discomfort is where it is at! Aviation peeked as far as fun 50 years ago..where is the fun when you suddenly change direction and you need a pair of pants to squeeze the blood back up into your head?

B-47 fully loaded JATO takeoff.

Edited by DogOnPorch

On that vein, how about the Stranraer

One of the Queen Charlotte Airlines machines was acquired by several airline pilots, PWA guys I believe. They had it moored on the Fraser on the south side of YVR. I saw it flying down the river once in the late sixties. Apparently something upstream broke loose and damaged its tail section. It sat on the north side of the airport for several years until it was acquired by the RAF and now sits in the RAF museum at Hendon, just north of London. Well worth the trip if you are in the neighbourhood.

There is a true story that a long retired Wardair flight engineer almost got himself chucked out of the museum when he jumped over a barricade, pointed to a patch on it and said "see that, I put that there" or words to that effect.

Edited by Wilber