Political Discussion Forums

No, actually it is natural. Seepage throught the ocean floor is scientific fact. However, the abondoned well is a different issue. And that certainly can cause oil leakage on its own.

Did you miss the other post I made about the number of abandoned wells in the Gulf that could be 'naturally' leaking? The money spent by PB for this clean up alone would pay to recap and reseal all those abandoned wells in the Gulf.

I won't disagree with naturally leaking oil, but that is hardly the problem we have here.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the cap looks like it is holding. This is welcome news.

Now clean up can be more effective.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/16/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html?hpt=T1

I do think the cap should have been the first option in combination with relief wells. I guess better late than never.

I do think the cap should have been the first option in combination with relief wells. I guess better late than never.

That was actually the first option they tried (link to article). It clogged with ice and debris. They called that "containment box" if you recall. This article (link) detailed its failure and the subsequent (also failed) smaller dome, called "top hat". Edited by jbg

That was actually the first option they tried. It clogged with ice and debris. They called that "containment box" if you recall. This article (link) detailed its failure and the subsequent (also failed) smaller dome, called "top hat".

That box was not designed to stop the flow, it was to contain it so they can still extract the oil. As were the other attempts, they still wanted to extract the oil. Now that relief wells are on their way, this one is now capped and 'permanently' sealed.

The A-Whale failed the tests in the gulf. It didn't pick much oil because the oil is in long ribbons not giant patches and it could not follow the ribbons because it was so big. For that reason it was picking up much less oil and costing way more then other skimmers. Shady fails again, good thing Obama made them test the thing before jumping on board for a failed skimmer. Good thing he thinks like a democrat and not a republican right Shady? Saving the peoples money instead of spending it on dumb ideas. A-whales, and Sand bars terrible republican make work projects that fail.

The A-Whale failed the tests in the gulf. It didn't pick much oil because the oil is in long ribbons not giant patches and it could not follow the ribbons because it was so big. For that reason it was picking up much less oil and costing way more then other skimmers. Shady fails again, good thing Obama made them test the thing before jumping on board for a failed skimmer.

Yes, the test was getting it into the gulf, trying to skim oil. Why Obama waited months to do so is still a mystery. Other than he's completely incompetent as a manager.

Good thing he thinks like a democrat and not a republican right Shady? Saving the peoples money instead of spending it on dumb ideas. A-whales, and Sand bars terrible republican make work projects that fail.

He's not saving people's money. BP is paying for the clean up and all associated costs. Stop worrying about BP's bottom line and start worrying about cleaning up oil and preventing it from getting ashore.

And despite your leftwing blogs small focused pictures, the sand bars are miles and miles long. Not just the small portion you link to. They've prevented oil from getting to delicate wetlands. They've been used in the past, and will be used in the future. Again, stop worrying about BP's costs for clean up. They're to blame for the mess. It's a weird time when I'm the environmentalist, looking out for the best interests in the gulf. While punked worries about BP's stock price, and clean up costs. :rolleyes:

And stop blaming people for trying ALL things to stop the equivalent of an Exxon Valdez spill every few days. Everybody can't go to concerts and rounds of golf every weekend like President Teleprompter.

Yes, the test was getting it into the gulf, trying to skim oil. Why Obama waited months to do so is still a mystery. Other than he's completely incompetent as a manager.

He's not saving people's money. BP is paying for the clean up and all associated costs. Stop worrying about BP's bottom line and start worrying about cleaning up oil and preventing it from getting ashore.

And despite your leftwing blogs small focused pictures, the sand bars are miles and miles long. Not just the small portion you link to. They've prevented oil from getting to delicate wetlands. They've been used in the past, and will be used in the future. Again, stop worrying about BP's costs for clean up. They're to blame for the mess. It's a weird time when I'm the environmentalist, looking out for the best interests in the gulf. While punked worries about BP's stock price, and clean up costs. :rolleyes:

And stop blaming people for trying ALL things to stop the equivalent of an Exxon Valdez spill every few days. Everybody can't go to concerts and rounds of golf every weekend like President Teleprompter.

It took so long Shady BECAUSE the OWNER had to change it into a skimmer AFTER THE SPILL Shady. Remember I provided like 1000 links to that 4 pages ago.

Actually the pictures I posted are of the Sand Berm which Jindal himself is the MOST SUCCESSFUL in the project. However 12 days after he released his photos real photos of the berms which have eroded and sunk came to the surface. See Jindal is playing politics while Obama is trying to help. 360 million flushed down the tubes with a dumb republican idea and it would have been more if Obama didn't demand they test the A-Whale before listing to the right wing echo chamber.

Ohhhh BTW the genus Jindal remember when he asked for more four times as many Booms then were in HIS OIL SPILL PLAN, and TWICE as many as there in all the US. THEN BLAMED OBAMA FOR NOT HAVING THEM. That is the way republican's think. When he got them didn't even help. No brains.

Edited by punked

It would be funny if it weren't so tragic.

You still ignore the biggest fact is that the A-whale did not exist at the start of this disaster. There was no way for anyone to test something that had not even existed yet. The ship was outfitted and completed in JUNE of this year. Obama had no choice but to wait until the A-whale was completed before it was tested.

"Now watch this drive!"

It would be funny if it weren't so tragic.

Agreed. They're still having problems getting boom. You'd think at least that would have been corrected.

Anyways, here's video of Billy Nungesser, the President of Plaquemines Parish in suburban New Orleans. Apparently he's been trying to get permission and resources to build a barrier island to protect some of the wetlands. It's been several weeks, and still no answer. Also, apparently it's going to cost ten times more to clean up the oil off of the shore, than it would have to build the barrier islands they wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8JgJMCIvvg&feature=player_embedded

"Now watch this drive!"

That would have more merit if Obama hadn't golfed more in one year than Bush did in 8! :lol:

Agreed. They're still having problems getting boom. You'd think at least that would have been corrected.

Anyways, here's video of Billy Nungesser, the President of Plaquemines Parish in suburban New Orleans. Apparently he's been trying to get permission and resources to build a barrier island to protect some of the wetlands. It's been several weeks, and still no answer. Also, apparently it's going to cost ten times more to clean up the oil off of the shore, than it would have to build the barrier islands they wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8JgJMCIvvg&feature=player_embedded

That would have more merit if Obama hadn't golfed more in one year than Bush did in 8! :lol:

Maybe if Jindal didn't demand 4 times as many booms as their plan called for and twice as many booms as in the entire US it would be a different situation. To bad the REPUBLICAN GOVERNOR never read the oil spill plan which was in place eh?

Oh yeah and those Islands don't work Shady they just a make work project.

Edited by punked

You'd have some merit in your post as well if it was not for the fact the A-whale was developed a couple months AFTER the Deepwater Horizon blew up.

Remember when Shady and Republicans said they needed to hired the largest skimmer ever built even though it didn't work? Remember when they wanted to spend a billion building sand castles? Well right now the big problem is that the oil is gone. They can't find it Skimmers aren't working because the oil is gone. Looks like Obama was right again to stop the oil and focus resources there and Republicans were wrong again. They are never right on anything is what I am slowly learning.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-crude-mother-nature-breaks-slick/story?id=11254252

Edited by punked

....They can't find it Skimmers aren't working because the oil is gone. Looks like Obama was right again to stop the oil and focus resources there and Republicans were wrong again. They are never right on anything is what I am slowly learning.

I told you weeks ago that a Gulf spill with lighter crude oil was different than the moaning and groaning comparisons about Exxon Valdez. I applaud your admission that you learn slowly! ;)

I told you weeks ago that a Gulf spill with lighter crude oil was different than the moaning and groaning comparisons about Exxon Valdez. I applaud your admission that you learn slowly! ;)

Ahh well, if it's LIGHT crude, then it's alright. Gotcha. Hopefully more oil rigs go down in the gulf then.

Ahh well, if it's LIGHT crude, then it's alright. Gotcha. Hopefully more oil rigs go down in the gulf then.

It was more than just the type of crude....consideration had to be given to the ambient water temperature, air temps, water depth, surface area, circulation patterns, evaporation of volatiles, and natural abatement actions. Somebody here predicted a trillion(s) dollar plus event.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

It was more than just the type of crude....consideration had to be given to the ambient water temperature, air temps, water depth, surface area, circulation patterns, evaporation of volatiles, and natural abatement actions. Somebody here predicted a trillion(s) dollar plus event.

A/k/a two tropical storms?

To bad consideration for safety measures was not in mind, then you would not have to worry about the variables.

20 billion to people affected by the spill.

17 million lost profits for this quarter.

5-10 billion for clean up efforts

Close to 50 billion so far. Might as well be a trillion, much of the indirect costs of this disaster won't ever be counted.

You'd have some merit in your post as well if it was not for the fact the A-whale was developed a couple months AFTER the Deepwater Horizon blew up.

Actually, that's completely not true. It was refitted a couple of months AFTER the oil leak. It was developed long before that. Get your facts straight. You're wrong on so many issues it's hard to keep track.

Uh oh spaghettio!

Well, Limbaugh has a point. The Deepwater Horizon explosion was an awful tragedy for the 11 workers who died on the rig, and it's no leak; it's the biggest oil spill in U.S. history. It's also inflicting serious economic and psychological damage on coastal communities that depend on tourism, fishing and drilling. But so far — while it's important to acknowledge that the long-term potential danger is simply unknowable for an underwater event that took place just three months ago — it does not seem to be inflicting severe environmental damage. "The impacts have been much, much less than everyone feared," says geochemist Jacqueline Michel, a federal contractor who is coordinating shoreline assessments in Louisiana.

Time Magazine

Remember when GostHack laughed at my similar suggestion? That it wouldn't be so bad? And now this complete know-nothing is laughing at others for bringing up the fact that the spill involved light crude. Example...

Ahh well, if it's LIGHT crude, then it's alright. Gotcha.

Well...

The scientists I spoke with cite four basic reasons the initial eco-fears seem overblown. First, the Deepwater oil, unlike the black glop from the Valdez, is unusually light and degradable, which is why the slick in the Gulf is dissolving surprisingly rapidly now that the gusher has been capped

'>Time Magazine

Perhaps GostHack needs to shut up a little more, and do some listening for once.

Remember when GostHack laughed at my similar suggestion? That it wouldn't be so bad?

Actually, most recently you were arguing it was an apocalyptic calamity that was all Obama's fault. You only argued it wouldn't be so bad when you thought people would be blaming the "drill, baby, drill" crowd. Quit flip-flopping.

Actually, that's completely not true. It was refitted a couple of months AFTER the oil leak. It was developed long before that. Get your facts straight.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/294196

The 1,100-foot long tanker, called "A Whale," was designed to carry iron ore and crude oil. However, according to ABC News, after hearing about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, "the owner of the ship, mysterious Taiwanese billionaire Nobu Su, ordered his engineers to cut vents in the bow and redesign the tanks inside, creating the largest skimming vessel in the world."

I had quoted this some time back in this very thread. So come on Shady, you are making this too easy. It may have existed as a concept but in actuality it did not until someone took the idea and ran with it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38047155/ns/disaster_in_the_gulf/

No commitment from BP

Whether the A Whale, a Taiwanese-owned, Liberian-flagged ship, will even join the cleanup is unclear. TMT converted the oil/bulk ore carrier at a Portuguese shipyard over 10 days in early June without first obtaining a commitment from BP, which would need to sign the contract to enlist the ship in the spill response. Nor did it check with the U.S. government to ensure that the skimming operation would meet U.S. environmental and maritime standards.

And my argument was that the leak needed to be stopped before clean up efforts can be effective.

Remember when GostHack laughed at my similar suggestion? That it wouldn't be so bad? And now this complete know-nothing is laughing at others for bringing up the fact that the spill involved light crude. Example...

And yet you ranted for MONTHS about Obama not bringing on more oil skimmers and waiving the Dutch off. You don't find that hypocritical at all?

At least I will claim ignorance here and say that I did not know it was light crude. Not sure what the difference is, but it still made a huge mess. And clean up on the shores are still ongoing regardless of the oil vanishing in the gulf. It's still a disaster and on a very large scale, the fact that is light crude should now take away from the fact a well head blew and killing 11 people and sinking an oil platform.

Perhaps GostHack needs to shut up a little more, and do some listening for once.

If you are lucky, I might just do that. Do you feel lucky Shady?