Political Discussion Forums

If Diuceppe gets more seats....

This is the hypothetical scenario:

The Conservatives wins another minority. Diuceppe gets more seats than the Liberals and NDP. If the three decide to go to the Governor General....can we end up with a government led by the Bloc? Can Diuceppe become Prime Minister or leader of the Coalition?

Edited by betsy

The Conservatives wins another minority. Diuceppe gets more seats than the Liberals and NDP. If the three decide to go to the Governor General....can we end up with a government led by the Bloc? Can Diuceppe become Prime Minister or leader of the Coalition?

It's a theoretical possibility. But I cannot imagine the Governor General allowing the Bloc to head a Government. The GG has some latitude here, and he's chief responsibility in such a situation would be to choose a responsible government. I cannot imagine a Governor General picking a separatist party to head a government.

It's possible only theoretically... Just like the bloc was the Opposition when the PCs collapsed... However, the NDP and Libs both know that would be the worst decision ever.

First of all, the scenario is impossible. The Bloc simply could not get the seats to do it. Second of all, I can't imagine any of the Federalist parties, whatever their differences before, during or after the election, actually allowing the Bloc the chance to form a government. But if by magic the Bloc ever got to the position that they could somehow claim the Government, the Governor General would not, I'm certain, every let it happen.

But it's an impossibility. As I said, the biggest problem is that they could never get enough seats to pull it off.

I am hearing that that La Presse will put out a CROP poll tomorrow and that is has some crazy numbers. Hopefully that means the bottom has fallen out of the Bloc basket and they are now in the 20s and we wont have to worry about this at all.

http://twitter.com/#!/vmarissal

"Nouveau sondage CROP demain dans La Presse. Prenez un bon espresso et accrochez-vous à votre fauteuil, ça va donner un grand coup! #elxn41"

Edited by punked

I am hearing that that La Presse will put out a CROP poll tomorrow and that is has some crazy numbers. Hopefully that means the bottom has fallen out of the Bloc basket and they are now in the 20s and we wont have to worry about this at all.

"Nouveau sondage CROP demain dans La Presse. Prenez un bon espresso et accrochez-vous à votre fauteuil, ça va donner un grand coup! #elxn41"

Like I said yesterday. If the only useful thing we get out of this election is the weakening of the Bloc, then I say all the crap will be worth it.

It's a theoretical possibility. But I cannot imagine the Governor General allowing the Bloc to head a Government. The GG has some latitude here, and he's chief responsibility in such a situation would be to choose a responsible government. I cannot imagine a Governor General picking a separatist party to head a government.

Even more than that. I do not imagine Duceppe wanting it. That would be a blow to his dream of an independant Quebec - ohow could he seriously play the "we have no place in Canada" when even he can lead the government?.

As for numbers. I think the BQ may get one or two more seats than last time, but with a lower number of votes. Result of the NDP surge. Also, it is unlikely that both the Liberals and the NDP will end up with less seats than the Bloc. The elction of 1993 saw a confortable majority for one party, another one virtually wiped out, and four parties getting seats outside Quebec. Not so this time.

Edited by CANADIEN

The NDP is about to ride the Quebec horse to power (after voting out the Cons in the throne speech of course).

You can see it from a mile away.

Props for Layton for having one of... if not the most brilliant election strategy in Canadian history.

Awesome thread,excellent thinking on your part betsy

In my opinion if I am correct Harper still has first shot after the election.

He can table a budget and the GG will still have to read it in the house.Then the vote.

If shot down then I believe that that the scenario you propose is possible.

I also believe that the GG can not be biased against a party from Quebec.If he is then all hell will break out and this country will go down the road of constitutional choas.

I think the GG would allow it,after all he is only a figure head,play it safe and will not show his opinion.

But judging from the last coalition letter the Bloq are not interested in any serious portfolios.

However 70+ seats would give them a commanding voice

WWWTT

The NDP is about to ride the Quebec horse to power (after voting out the Cons in the throne speech of course).

You can see it from a mile away.

Props for Layton for having one of... if not the most brilliant election strategy in Canadian history.

Your wishful thinking is kind of cute, in a naive fantasy sort of way.

I think the GG would allow it,after all he is only a figure head,play it safe and will not show his opinion.

Anybody who thinks that a GG is merely a figurehead after a government has lost a confidence vote just weeks into their mandate knows very damned little about our system. It's the one time when the Governor General in fact is the most powerful person in the country, and his latitude is very wide. Apart from the crisis that would ensue from a Separatist party gaining the Government would be the fact that the Bloc would be the object of confidence motions by the Federalist parties from the very moment it was called to be a government. With those two things in mind, both of which defeat the Governor General's most important purpose; to create a stable and responsible government, would mean the GG would never ask the Bloc to take the reigns.

Anybody who thinks that a GG is merely a figurehead after a government has lost a confidence vote just weeks into their mandate knows very damned little about our system. It's the one time when the Governor General in fact is the most powerful person in the country, and his latitude is very wide. Apart from the crisis that would ensue from a Separatist party gaining the Government would be the fact that the Bloc would be the object of confidence motions by the Federalist parties from the very moment it was called to be a government. With those two things in mind, both of which defeat the Governor General's most important purpose; to create a stable and responsible government, would mean the GG would never ask the Bloc to take the reigns.

I absolutely agree that the GG yields a tremendous amount of power and influence.And not only after a budget is voted down.

However the GG cannot say no to the majority of the MP's in the house.This to my knowledge has never happened and you are only using your opinion to reach the conclusion that the GG would say no to a Bloq led government with the backing of the majority of the elected lower house reps.

Keep in mind that it would be very risky for the GG to go against the democratic process and would enrage the public and could herald in new constitutional talks of a Canadian republic.

WWWTT

However the GG cannot say no to the majority of the MP's in the house.

Based on what? The reserve powers are quite vast. The GG must also safeguard the interests of the country. There would be no backlash resulting from denying a separatist led government....and a parliamentary president would probably react exactly the same way.

Edited by Smallc

Based on what? The reserve powers are quite vast.

You may be right

But theory and practise are two different things

Mainly for the preservation for our system

If the GG rocks the boat,he's gone for good.

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

That's absolute nonsense, especially given the outlined scenario.

I wouldn't hold so much faith into the belief that the GG can do as he may please.

The GG behaves in a manner as to not upset the public to avoid a lynch mob.

If the majority of MP's,elected by the citizens of Canada was to approach him after the failure of the budget or any other confidence motion he must submit to their wishes.The alternative would be to call an election.In wich case the end result would be in new constitutional talks to abolish the monarchy in Canada wich is the least popular in Quebec.

WWWTT

I wouldn't hold so much faith into the belief that the GG can do as he may please.

The GG behaves in a manner as to not upset the public to avoid a lynch mob.

You're dreaming if you think that Canadians of separatists would accept a Bloc government.

If the GG rocks the boat,he's gone for good.

The GG in Australia turfed a sitting PM on November 10, 1975 and put the opposition leader in as caretaker PM until elections the next month.

I can imagine the scenario. May 2, 11 pm, CBC and Radio-Canada announce that the Bloc has just managed to get two more seats that the second-place Conservatives. May 2, 11:05, a journalist asks Gilles Duceppe "So, you are Canada's next Prime Minister?". May 2, 11:07, Duceppe stops laughing just long enough to answer "Are you freaking nuts? No way! I want to get Quebec OUT of Canada".

Even of there was a mathematical chance of the Bloc getting more seats than other parties, the idea that they would consider trying to form the Government of Canada is quite frankly laughable.

Didn't Australia have a referendum to abolish the monarchy and become a republic a few years ago?

I wonder how loud the GG is there now after that!

Ok now this has bein fun arguing in a hypothetical scenario,but the GG will never do anything to raise one freakin eyebrow in this country because of the fear of the backlash that would come from the public.Period.End of story.There are absolutely no arguments or examples that you can use that I cannot twist against you.

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

Didn't Australia have a referendum to abolish the monarchy and become a republic a few years ago?

Right after the aliens from Venus visited the region. In all seriousness though, there was a referendum and it failed...and again, a president would do no different in such a case.

Right after the aliens from Venus visited the region. In all seriousness though, there was a referendum and it failed...and again, a president would do no different in such a case.

I am still waiting for more examples to prop your position

WWWTT

I am still waiting for more examples to prop your position

WWWTT

How many examples do you need? The fact that Constitutional Monarchies and Parliamentary Republics work in an almost identical way is something that can easily be found. Part of the job of head of state or representative thereof is to protect the country and the constitution. They wouldn't name a separatist government. Democracy, as it is set up around the world, is about far more than voting and seats.

My understanding is that if GG authorizes Duceppe to form the government after the Tory is shot down, Harper will challenge his decision to Queen Elizabeth, who is the head of state of Canada and can overthrow the decision of GG.

GG is merely a representative of the Queen.