Political Discussion Forums
bush_cheney2004

Why is Canada's Suicide Rate Higher

Now if we can get back on topic, why has Canadian suicide by means other than firearms increased since the 1990's?

citation request

The graphs in the original link show Canadian suicide rate dropped below the American suicide rate....

But both rates are very similar. 0.0005% difference in 2007.

The reason for the difference? Well, statistically there is no difference.

There's a difference between people killing themselves due to mental illness and the terminally ill choosing how and when they will die.

Guest American Woman

Nah, its because we are less afraid of god.

We're happier because we're less afraid of god therefore we kill ourselves....

The religiosity arguments hold weight as well. Research in the past that compares suicide in Canada to the US found that "Canadians see suicide as being related more to mental illness and as a cry for help, and they more strongly endorse the right to die. Americans see suicide as being related more to religion and moral evil. In particular, Canadian youth see suicide as a more normal way to cope with problems" (Leenaars & Lester, 1995).

Because Americans more strongly believe a magic man in the sky who can make them live forever in paradise as long as they telepathically accept him as their master, will be angry at them if they commit suicide, and will refuse to let them into heaven.

Except according to the Bible, suicide doesn't keep a person from entering heaven.

The graphs in the original link show Canadian suicide rate dropped below the American suicide rate....

But both rates are very similar. 0.0005% difference in 2007.

The reason for the difference? Well, statistically there is no difference.

again, an extremely short-term period to presume to do legitimate statistical trend analysis. Apparently, the OP has advised his "claim" is no longer associated to the initially offered 2000-2007 data - hence, my request to attempt to ascertain exactly what post-1990 data is presumed to support the OP claim that, "Canadian suicide by means other than firearms has increased since the 1990's". Still waiting...

Well...yea...but that wouldn't explain poisoning. Fat people could surely down some drain cleaner with equal aplomb, no?

Sure but Fat people get better after the draino flush. Gets rid of all that junk in their body and voila, they feel better.

All kidding aside, i am not surprised we lead in this, after all, there are places that the sun only sees for a few hours and even less than that un many other places.

Couple that with what some of these places are like on a good day, the isolation etc , and I can believe it.

Ever been to Edmonton in the winter? ;)

Edited by guyser

I thought the left, people generally for more gun control, were also generally for things like assisted suicide, but now some are claiming that gun control prevents suicides because even in lieu of firearms more people will try to hang themselves but fail?

because any idiot can see that medically assisted suicide as an end-of-life, death with dignity strategy is not the same thing as suicide brought on by depression or mental illness.

Aside from the fact that our suicide rate hasn't changed, how can a progressive or liberal be for abortion or be pro choice while at the same time be against suicide?

Most people that kill themselves are probably not making an informed and rational choice.

I don't want anyone to kill themselves but it is the ultimate personal choice, to try and prop up gun control because it leads to more people choosing more difficult methods of suicide that cause more suffering but might lead to more failed attempts seems really obscene to me.

Maybe you should consider every person who does hang themselves successfully, who would have otherwise shot themselves, in those minutes they spent strangling and then the brain death to follow, how much suffering was that? Is that worth the few failed attempts due gun control..who knows, again, this is an obscene argument, and a desperate attempt to justify gun control.

Not nearly as obscene as implying gun control is bad because guns make people less effective at killing themselves.

Except according to the Bible, suicide doesn't keep a person from entering heaven.

Thats technically true. The bible basically considers suicide to be the same as murder. That wont disqualify you from going to the imaginary eternal paradise, but it IS a serious sin against god, and theres absolutely no question religiosity plays a huge factor in suicide rates.

Guest American Woman

Thats technically true. The bible basically considers suicide to be the same as murder. That wont disqualify you from going to the imaginary eternal paradise, but it IS a serious sin against god, and theres absolutely no question religiosity plays a huge factor in suicide rates.

Does it, now? If one is miserable on earth to the extent of wanting to die so badly that they will take their own life, do you honestly think believing that suicide is a sin, while believing that death will bring one to heaven/paradise, is the reason people choose not to commit suicide??

Edited by American Woman

Does it, now? If one is miserable on earth to the extent of wanting to die so badly that they will take their own life, do you honestly think believing that suicide is a sin, while knowing that death will bring one to heaven/paradise, is the reason people choose not to commit suicide??

Thats part of it yes. Generally religious people think that commiting serious sins is something you shouldnt do. Im sure theres other factors as well.

Guest American Woman

Thats part of it yes. Generally religious people think that commiting serious sins is something you shouldnt do.

So I take it you believe that religious people, aside from killing themselves, are also less likely to commit murder/violent crimes? - that religious people do, in fact, commit less murders/violent crimes than non-religious people? - You would agree that "theres absolutely no question religiosity plays a huge factor in [murder/violent crime] rates"? Religious people are generally more moral than non-religious people because they "generally think that committing serious sins is something you shouldn't do?"

Being religious equates to less suicides?

By this reasoning, religious people should also have less out-of-marriage pregnancies, commit less crime, etc.

So? It doesn't matter what the Bible says. What matters is what people believe their religion says about suicide.

So I take it you believe that religious people, aside from killing themselves, are also less likely to commit murder/violent crimes? - that religious people do, in fact, commit less murders/violent crimes than non-religious people? - You would agree that "theres absolutely no question religiosity plays a huge factor in [murder/violent crime] rates"? Religious people are generally more moral than non-religious people because they "generally think that committing serious sins is something you shouldn't do?"

I havent seen any data on that so I wont comment. The data just tells us that the link is there it doesnt explain exactly why. So youre asking me to speculate. I think religious adversion to suicide is a factor as I said, but Im sure theres all kinds of other factors. Maybe churches and pastors provide a good support group to depressed religious people. A lot of religious people describe religion as "comforting" so maybe thats a factor as well.

Sure but Fat people get better after the draino flush. Gets rid of all that junk in their body and voila, they feel better.

All kidding aside, i am not surprised we lead in this, after all, there are places that the sun only sees for a few hours and even less than that un many other places.

Couple that with what some of these places are like on a good day, the isolation etc , and I can believe it.

Ever been to Edmonton in the winter? ;)

There's no correlation with SAD. I don't have the studies before me, but the gist is that Scandinavian nations do not have higher suicide rates. If there was some sort of relationship between SAD and suicide, there would be a correlation.

Guest American Woman

So? It doesn't matter what the Bible says. What matters is what people believe their religion says about suicide.

And they believe what the Bible says. Why would they believe that they won't get to heaven if they commit suicide when the Bible says otherwise? Why would they be less inclined to commit suicide because of their religious beliefs than they would be to kill someone else or commit a violent crime? Or do you believe they would be less inclined to kill someone else/commit a violent crime? Do you think non-religious people are more likely to commit murder/violent crimes?

Guest American Woman

I havent seen any data on that so I wont comment. The data just tells us that the link is there it doesnt explain exactly why. So youre asking me to speculate.

You've already speculated. You've speculated that religious people are less likely to commit suicide because of their fear of God.

I think religious adversion to suicide is a factor as I said, but Im sure theres all kinds of other factors.

So do you think it's an aversion to killing other people/committing violent crimes?

Maybe churches and pastors provide a good support group to depressed religious people. A lot of religious people describe religion as "comforting" so maybe thats a factor as well.

So you think religious people are less likely to commit suicide because they are less likely to be depressed to that degree?

Does it, now? If one is miserable on earth to the extent of wanting to die so badly that they will take their own life, do you honestly think believing that suicide is a sin, while believing that death will bring one to heaven/paradise, is the reason people choose not to commit suicide??

Yes. Especially in the United States where there is a history of Puritanism. We all deserve punishment due to our inheritence of original sin. Our life of toiling away on this earth and the suffering we endure is God's divine will and our punishment for sinning against Him. Suicide would not get you into Heaven. Rather, God has already determined who is saved and killing oneself would not be a particularly noteworthy example of demonstrating that you are one of them. You can kill yourself into Heaven by Puritan beliefs because your salvation has already been determined. Moreover, it goes against the belief of those who don't believe in predestination. There's no way of spinning suicide as an element of doing "good works" to earn your way through the Gates. So, I don't think it makes a heck of a lot of sense, from a religious standpoint, that one would believe they could kill themself into Heaven and I'm an atheist.

The USA is a more religious country and has virtually the identical suicide rate that Canada does.

How is anyone making the inference that their suicide rate is lower due to religion, when it is virtually the same?

What you are all saying just doesn't make any sense.

You've already speculated. You've speculated that religious people are less likely to commit suicide because of their fear of God.

So do you think it's an aversion to killing other people/committing violent crimes?

So you think religious people are less likely to commit suicide because they are less likely to be depressed to that degree?

I dont believe I even mentioned that. What I would say since you mentioned it is that religious people place higher value on some lives in some situations. Abortion, suicide, and assisted suicide for example.

Or maybe just more likely to have support when they do get depressed. Im not necessarily saying I think that though, and like I said theres probably a host of factors. Im just speculating that might be one of them.

But you tell me! Im about as spiritual as busted screwdriver... Does your faith play a role in your mental health, and give you strength when you are depressed?

Edited by dre

Being religious equates to less suicides?

By this reasoning, religious people should also have less out-of-marriage pregnancies, commit less crime, etc.

Not necessarily. There have been studies that show a statistically significant correlation between religiosity and suicide rates, while other show there's no correlation between different things. It could also be that people who are religious have a greater sense of belonging to a larger community, which inhibits suicide, but not necessarily those other things.

Okay, so here's my theory. Canadians are well known as less aggressive, more quiet, maybe even apathetic, right? Americans, on the other hand are more aggressive(at least in comparison to Canadians), more passionate like that, right? And the American behavior tends to work out the stress a little better in my opinion. Work out the stress, better emotional and mental health, less suicides.

Don't let anyone tell you that pot is helping Canadians.

Guest American Woman

Yes. Especially in the United States where there is a history of Puritanism. .... So, I don't think it makes a heck of a lot of sense, from a religious standpoint, that one would believe they could kill themself into Heaven and I'm an atheist.

Anyone who seeks repentance and accepts God/Jesus as their savior is worthy of heaven. That's the belief.

But from your stance, even though you haven't answered my questions, I have to conclude that you believe that religious people are less likely to kill others/commit violent crimes and that non-religious people are more likely to kill others and commit violent crimes.

Edited by American Woman

The USA is a more religious country and has virtually the identical suicide rate that Canada does.

How is anyone making the inference that their suicide rate is lower due to religion, when it is virtually the same?

What you are all saying just doesn't make any sense.

A lack of religion is not the cause of suicide. It's simply a correlation that explains some portion of the variability.