Political Discussion Forums

When an official sounding recording from Elections Canada tells you a polling station is closed due to high voter turnout, what reason would people have to question it?

Anyone with half a brain would question it, most people would know that E.C. doesn't do that, and that polling stations do not close because of voter turnout. I can understand new immigrants maybe not questioning it, but surely one would question it by calling E.C. themselves, the R.O., or a campaign office.

Still, no evidence that the conservative party was behind it either, still speculation and innuendo. As the Liberal leaker has been found, so eventually will these perpetrators. We might be surprised.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elections Canada make it very clear what you need to vote and where you are supposed to vote. If I got a call contradicting that information, I'd at least double check with the website or go to the polling station myself to make sure.

Elections Canada's information isn't always right. I've heard of a number of cases where people showed up to the place where Election's Canada had told them to vote and it was incorrect.

One thing I'm a little surprised about regarding this whole thing. If there was so much confusion, and so many people were disenfranchised in this event, why is it only coming to light now? If I missed my opportunity to vote because of some discrepancy over where my polling station was, I'd raise bloody hell. And I know I'm not the only one. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just can't get that part of the story to add up in my head. One would think there would have beeen more heard about the discrepancies before now.

This was first mentioned months ago wasn't it?

You have the right to vote even if you only have a 1/4 of a brain though.

Sorta like when people show up at polling stations with no valid form of ID or proof of residence.

Here's a magazine that has my name on it. That proves I live in this riding God Damnit!

Elections Canada's information isn't always right. I've heard of a number of cases where people showed up to the place where Election's Canada had told them to vote and it was incorrect.

Very true...

For the last Federal election and the Ontario provincial election I never received my enumeration card and had to reregister both times...

No one could give me a straight answer as to why this happened.I jokingly asked if this was Honduras or something...

For the record,I don't think anything untoward was going on because I live in a fairly safe Conservative riding...

Anyone with half a brain would question it, most people would know that E.C. doesn't do that, and that polling stations do not close because of voter turnout. I can understand new immigrants maybe not questioning it, but surely one would question it by calling E.C. themselves, the R.O., or a campaign office.

Still, no evidence that the conservative party was behind it either, still speculation and innuendo. As the Liberal leaker has been found, so eventually will these perpetrators. We might be surprised.

Half wittedness,or not,it simply does'nt matter...

The calls,wherever they originated from,were/are against the law!!!

Well seeing there is already tons of confusion around where people vote on election day I think people could easily be confused if "Elections Canada" phones and says their polling station has changed.

I agree that would cause confusion, especially for those who had not voted in advance polls. But what about those who didn't even intend to vote in the first place? Receiving one of those calls would probably not have bothered them one way or another. As I recall, 40% of eligible voters didn't show up. I could see a problem Elections Canada would have investigating a riding in terms of estimating whether a different outcome would result in a by-election.

I agree that would cause confusion, especially for those who had not voted in advance polls. But what about those who didn't even intend to vote in the first place? Receiving one of those calls would probably not have bothered them one way or another. As I recall, 40% of eligible voters didn't show up. I could see a problem Elections Canada would have investigating a riding in terms of estimating whether a different outcome would result in a by-election.

Well we also don't know how many people may have went out to vote, showed up at the wrong place and then didn't bother to vote at all. I know people who worked at polling stations on election days and they said it was unbelievable the people who showed up at the wrong place and then say they aren't going to bother voting.

The pone calls from people pretending to be an Elections Canada official might be the only calls that were actually illegal, but harassing voters while pretending to be a volunteer of another campaign is still voter suppression.

The latter would fraudulent,right?

Well we also don't know how many people may have went out to vote, showed up at the wrong place and then didn't bother to vote at all. I know people who worked at polling stations on election days and they said it was unbelievable the people who showed up at the wrong place and then say they aren't going to bother voting.

I am sure they have requirements

One thing I'm a little surprised about regarding this whole thing. If there was so much confusion, and so many people were disenfranchised in this event, why is it only coming to light now?

I posted this link earlier in this thread Spider. Note that it's dated May 2, 2011. You may find your answer.

http://www.hilltimes.com/news/2011/05/02/many-candidates-complain-of-dirty-tricks-election-related-vandalism-in-nasty-campaign/25910

Sorta like when people show up at polling stations with no valid form of ID or proof of residence.

Here's a magazine that has my name on it. That proves I live in this riding God Damnit!

Yup, but in that case, the 1/4er brainer can be helped by election officials.

When hes told to go to the wrong place he wont get help, and might just get frustrated or give up. But the whole point is this isnt supposed to happen in free and fair elections... and we go all over the world preaching about democracy, and the importance of getting the result right. When theres shenanigans it damages the integrity of the process.

We wont know what would have happened in some of those close ridings until we have a free and fair election and we count the votes. Once we do that that result will be respected, and nobody will be able to question the legitimacy of the results. Right now the integrity of the result in some ridings appears to be questionable and that most definately cant stand. Calling the voters potentially elected stupid is not terribly useful at this point IMHO.

As well according to Dean Del Mastro in the last few days of the election, Elections Canada changed the location of polling stations. The Conservatives say they phoned their members to tell them.

That isnt their job.. thats elections canadas job

Its not their job to tell anyone the poll station was moved

and if any of them said they were from elections canada (which some did according to recent revelations they broke the law)

They claim they never did that though. All they're saying is that polling stations moved and they called supporters to make sure they were aware.

They claim they never did that though. All they're saying is that polling stations moved and they called supporters to make sure they were aware.

the call centre agents say otherwise

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1137273--conservative-scripts-misdirected-voters-in-2011-election-say-call-centre-staff?bn=1