Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bush_cheney2004

2012 Transit of Venus

Nice video of the Venus transit last week, and of course a very holy day for pagans around the world. We couldn't get a permit to sacrifice any goats, so we used some old stuffed animals instead.

Nice video of the Venus transit last week...
Such videos are typical. Eclipse, transit. Nowadays, predictable.

I prefer videos of people watching the (unexpected, predicted) event.

----

This matters in democracy, and markets. It is not what I think but rather what I think that my neighbour will think. As John Maynard Keynes famously wondered about a beauty contest:

“It is not a case of choosing those that, to the best of one’s judgment, are really the prettiest, nor even those that average opinion genuinely thinks the prettiest. We have reached the third degree where we devote our intelligences to anticipating what average opinion expects the average opinion to be. And there are some, I believe, who practice the fourth, fifth and higher degrees.”
Edited by August1991

...I prefer videos of people watching the (unexpected, predicted) event.

Meh...videos of people are so typical and expected....YouTube predictable.

This matters in democracy, and markets. It is not what I think but rather what I think that my neighbour will think. As John Maynard Keynes famously wondered about a beauty contest:

Transits of Venus are rare enough to be more important what my neighbour thinks, and I sure as hell didn't spend $5,000 for a Lunt double stack to watch or listen to my neighbour.

Transit events matter because they answered and continue to answer fundamental questions, including questions about other solar systems.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/venus/question4.html

There will still be plenty of time to watch 'Jackass' videos on YouTube in between transits and eclipses.

Yeah I was pretty cool! My friend and I observed it with some metallized solar film he put over his binoculars. Saw a few sunspots too.

Yeah I was pretty cool! My friend and I observed it with some metallized solar film he put over his binoculars. Saw a few sunspots too.

Would that work on a video camera? Putting the film over the lense of the camera? I tried to get a couple shots myself, but I knew I would not be successful.

Would that work on a video camera? Putting the film over the lense of the camera? I tried to get a couple shots myself, but I knew I would not be successful.

I think it might work, but you'd need a special filter with a video camera.

I think it might work, but you'd need a special filter with a video camera.

Any solar filter rated for visual use can be used for still photos or video. The most popular filter is a thin, but expensive vapor deposition film from Germany (BAADER AstroSolar™ Safety Film), which has different ND ratings. Glass filters are also available, as are cheaper mylar filter sheets. We used modified FlipVideo cameras and Canon DSLRs with telescopes for last week's Venus transit (with various blocking and color filters). Viewing the sun through a camera lens, telescope, or binoculars without a good solar filter can result in instant eye damage.

Transits of Venus are rare enough to be more important what my neighbour thinks...

On the contrary. For such rare (financial) events, I pay great attention to what my neighbours think.

Edited by August1991

On the contrary. For such rare (financial) events, I pay great attention to what my neighbours think.

Good for you...what my neighbour does is far more important than what he/she thinks or says.

Good for you...what my neighbour does is far more important than what he/she thinks or says.
I agree that actions speak louder than words.

But in markets, as life, thoughts matters too.

As Keynes noted (and as Lucas further understood) in markets, what people think matters. For example, Robert Lucas argued that people would not always think the same way.

Edited by August1991

Transits of Venus are rare enough to be more important what my neighbour thinks, and I sure as hell didn't spend $5,000 for a Lunt double stack to watch or listen to my neighbour.

Transit events matter because they answered and continue to answer fundamental questions, including questions about other solar systems.

It was important enough to be the reason for Cook's first voyage. Although they didn't see it because of weather, that transit really started something.

It was important enough to be the reason for Cook's first voyage. Although they didn't see it because of weather, that transit really started something.

Agreed, as the level of international cooperation and timing was critical to the mining of data from such transits, to learn such things as the distance to and size of the sun. I gave some solar film glasses to passersby to have a peek at the transit, then told them they would likely be dead before the next one comes along. One of them thanked me, saying it was the first time she added and crossed out an item on her "bucket list" in the same day.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Meh...videos of people are so typical and expected....YouTube predictable.

There will still be plenty of time to watch 'Jackass' videos on YouTube in between transits and eclipses.

:)

Some responses are more or less perfect, I think.

No question. We all have awesome friends and acquaintances who, if they were on these forums anonymously and we didn't know it was them, we'd think are massive tools.

You never know until you actually meet someone. But we can read between the lines here, and use a bit of imagination, and say "That communist motherf***** is probably a great guy."

And I'm definitely not saying, "We all must love one another!" :) I like a good scrap.

But I don't take it seriously.

Edited by bleeding heart