Political Discussion Forums

Ahmadinejad to quit politics

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/17/world/meast/iran-ahmadinejad/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Good news. HOpefully the departure of this conservative hardliner, and all his firey rhetoric will make it less likely that OUR conservative hardliners will waste a shitload of my money paying for another useless war in the dirt-farm.

Buh-bye shitbag :D

Edited by dre
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news. HOpefully the departure of this conservative hardliner, and all his firey rhetoric will make it less likely that OUR conservative hardliners will waste a shitload of my money paying for another useless war in the dirt-farm.

I greatly admire his contribution to political discourse, thinking and philosophy. I will miss him greatly.

Edited by jbg

How many wars did he start? How many people died asa result of them?

How many wars fought by proxy?

How many foreign economies manipulated, how many leaders overthrown?

How many banks did he bail out

The President is, as I understand, a figurehead for the unelected religious council that really runs the country.

That seems to be quite true.

The President is, as I understand, a figurehead for the unelected religious council that really runs the country.

Absolutely. Hes relatively impotent and Iv pointed that out to OUR conservative hardliners quite a few times. But he makes incendiary statements, and while they are basically just fluff intended for a domestic audience they have been usefull to idiots pining for a war with Iran.

Absolutely. Hes relatively impotent and Iv pointed that out to OUR conservative hardliners quite a few times. But he makes incendiary statements, and while they are basically just fluff intended for a domestic audience they have been usefull to idiots pining for a war with Iran.

The fact that such remarks, however pointless, would be of interest for domestic purposes is of concern.

You're kidding yourself if you think Ahmadinejad leaving will make the slightest bit of difference. In fact his political adversaries are even more radical than him. The mullah's run the country, not him. Let's say they install someone with less "fiery rhetoric" - will that be any better if the policies remain the same or harden up more? When will the West learn to ignore these idiots and play directly at the Iranian people, who have no used for the mullahs? Of course that would not suit Israel's interests, which is more than glad to have nuts like Ahmadinejad to use as a justification for it's own depredations.

The Predident in Iran isn't an impotent post. He's still the defacto Head of State. The difference between Iran's president and say, America's is that the Supreme Leader holds ultimate control over the foreign policy and the Army. But, the President of Iran is actually head of the Supreme National Security Council which handles military strategy. So making Dinnerjacket look like an innocent lamb with dumb ol' Neocons not understanding the situation is rather disingenuous.

Edited by DogOnPorch

The Predident in Iran isn't an impotent post. He's still the defacto Head of State. The difference between Iran's president and say, America's is that the Supreme Leader holds ultimate control over the foreign policy and the Army. But, the President of Iran is actually head of the Supreme National Security Council which handles military strategy. So making Dinnerjacket look like an innocent lamb with dumb ol' Neocons not understanding the situation is rather disingenuous.

Have it your way. The supreme leaders decide who to even run for election. Ahmadinejad was in conflict with them because he was more moderate than they are - it's unlikely that someone even more moderate than he is will replace him. He's just become a stalking horse.

So making Dinnerjacket look like an innocent lamb with dumb ol' Neocons not understanding the situation is rather disingenuous.
I suspect no one has ever trusted him to make real decisions, and that the civilian President has always been a figurehead post. From Medhi Bazargan and Abulhasan Bani-Sadr on. Edited by jbg

I suspect no one has ever trusted him to make real decisions, and that the civilian President has always been a figurehead post. From Medhi Bazargan on.

As a Supreme Leader...I'd want the ol' Army, too.

Have it your way. The supreme leaders decide who to even run for election. Ahmadinejad was in conflict with them because he was more moderate than they are - it's unlikely that someone even more moderate than he is will replace him. He's just become a stalking horse.

Making me out to be some sort of fan of Iran is also disingenuous.

The fact that such remarks, however pointless, would be of interest for domestic purposes is of concern.

I seriously doubt his remarks pique much interest amongst normal thinking people in Iran.

I'm pretty sure however that like here there are calculating assholes in Iran who similarly try to draw the attention of their idiots to his remarks. Normal people over there however are probably as disgusted by the airtime this nut-bar gets as normal people everywhere.

I seriously doubt his remarks pique much interest amongst normal thinking people in Iran.

I'm pretty sure however that like here there are calculating assholes in Iran who similarly try to draw the attention of their idiots to his remarks. Normal people over there however are probably as disgusted by the airtime this nut-bar gets as normal people everywhere.

Normal? Iran?

As a Supreme Leader...I'd want the ol' Army, too.
I think that with countries like Iran, the formal leadership map is unimportant. The mullahs, from my understanding, control everything.

You really like to read things into posts, huh? I didn't mention neo-cons, but you implied I did. Now I'm making you a fan of Iran. How so?

I never said something more moderate will come along. Let's just call it square. A misunderstanding...I'm sure.

I think his remarks have a domestic impact. He's not just doing it for international consumption. It's the George Bush game of creating an enemy where there isn't one. Works wonders, especially if the other side plays along. Iranians have no interest in war and would love to come out from under the mullahs. But if they perceive a threat to Iran, they will unite, even under the mullahs. It's why our bellicosity is self-defeating.

I think that with countries like Iran, the formal leadership map is unimportant. The mullahs, from my understanding, control everything.

Iran still needs normal infrastructure. That includes a 'minister of potholes'.