Political Discussion Forums
Topaz

Windows...the end

What an idiotic story. Windows 8 is a response to the fact that people are moving away from traditional computing and using mobile devices more.

If you look at Windows 8 and Window's Phones they look almost identical.

I haven't had the chance to use a Windows phone much but from what I can tell it's way more user friendly than even the Mac OSX or iOS.

The problem with Windows 8 is that it's so different from previous Windows options people who are comfortable with Windows and not so tech savy might not adopt the change.

I'm definitely interested in Windows 8. Even though I'm very anti Apple I concede their user friendly OS is very good. Windows appears to be doing what Apple does, but much better.

The subject of the story in question is a moron.

Edited by Boges

Windows 8 will certainly not be the last. It'll be a flop in fact, when it comes to the desktop and laptop market, because in trying to make it an OS that extends to mobile and touchscreen devices, they failed to make it optimized and efficient for desktops and laptops. Having used the trial version of Windows 8 on an actual computer, it's pretty much indisputably less well designed for that than Windows 7: Things that should be accessible in a single click, or two clicks, are instead buried under multiple layers that take more time to get to. Screen real estate is used less efficiently for an actual work environment. Win 8 won't be the last, it will be quickly followed by the next version like Vista was, because MS will have to rush to make a new Windows version for computers/laptops that doesn't suck, in fact they've already started work on Windows 9 by all accounts.

Edited by Bonam

Agreed...Microsoft is continuing the pattern of alternating successes and flops with each Windows release.

Win95..........Good improvement over 3.x

Win98..........OK but had issues

Win98SE......Fixed Win98 issues

WinME..........Forgeddaboutit!

WinXP...........Great with NT kernel

Vista.............Many driver issues

Win7.............Excellent

Windows NT, 2000, and Server editions were good enough for intended business users and companies with IT deployment support.

I will try Win8 / RT, but no need to upgrade until MSFT works out the kinks as usual, which means Windows 9 !!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I'm having a hard time imagining why I'd by another PC since buying a so-called phablet, a Samsung Galaxy Note. I'm getting the hang of the Android operating system way faster than I imagined I would, compared to my memory of struggling with the first operating systems I used. The S-pen is pretty cool and I'm really looking forward to getting a TV with a browser and using all these devices together.

In light of cloud-computing I recall the old notion that there will only be a need for a handful of computers in the whole world. This will be a great boon for landfills and a world rapidly being denuded of resources. As for any worry's I might have had about security and prying eye's riffling through my digital records on a computer that wasn't sitting in my house...what have I really got to hide? It's no secret how I feel about Vic Toews for example, he knows he's free to eat my shorts anytime he likes.

As for seeing Windows off, I'm not going to lose any sleep.

What an idiotic story. Windows 8 is a response to the fact that people are moving away from traditional computing and using mobile devices more.

If you look at Windows 8 and Window's Phones they look almost identical.

I haven't had the chance to use a Windows phone much but from what I can tell it's way more user friendly than even the Mac OSX or iOS.

The problem with Windows 8 is that it's so different from previous Windows options people who are comfortable with Windows and not so tech savy might not adopt the change.

I'm definitely interested in Windows 8. Even though I'm very anti Apple I concede their user friendly OS is very good. Windows appears to be doing what Apple does, but much better.

The subject of the story in question is a moron.

From what I can tell is that Windows 8's layout and GUI is based on what they managed to do with the Windows OS on mobile devices. The mobile OS came before Win8. This won't be adopted by major businesses for some time either as many are currently just starting the upgrade to Win7.

From what I can tell is that Windows 8's layout and GUI is based on what they managed to do with the Windows OS on mobile devices. The mobile OS came before Win8. This won't be adopted by major businesses for some time either as many are currently just starting the upgrade to Win7.

Most definitely. I think Microsoft is hoping user integration from Windows 8 and Microsoft Phone will help sales for Windows phones.

I imagine many businesses are still using 2000 or ME.

Edited by Boges

Agreed...Microsoft is continuing the pattern of alternating successes and flops with each Windows release.

Win95..........Good improvement over 3.x

Win98..........OK but had issues

Win98SE......Fixed Win98 issues

WinME..........Forgeddaboutit!

WinXP...........Great with NT kernel

Vista.............Many driver issues

Win7.............Excellent

Windows NT, 2000, and Server editions were good enough for intended business users and companies with IT deployment support.

I will try Win8 / RT, but no need to upgrade until MSFT works out the kinks as usual, which means Windows 9 !!

I think Win 2k pro was one of the best ones they ever released. I loved that OS. I stayed with XP until Win 7 was released.

I'm having a hard time imagining why I'd by another PC since buying a so-called phablet, a Samsung Galaxy Note. I'm getting the hang of the Android operating system way faster than I imagined I would, compared to my memory of struggling with the first operating systems I used. The S-pen is pretty cool and I'm really looking forward to getting a TV with a browser and using all these devices together.

the samsung Note is my next purchase I like my galaxy sII but something a little larger would be appreciated by my big fingers...

the samsung Note is my next purchase I like my galaxy sII but something a little larger would be appreciated by my big fingers...

I just got the Note II. It's awesome.

I have found that a tablet of any kind cannot replace hard core productivity with a keyboard & mouse, but they are fine for media and web surfing. The new Microsoft Surface may bridge that gap, but I need to run legacy applications that have no Android or Mac OS based equivalents, such as camera controllers, ASCOM platform drivers, and image processing.

One great thing about PCs (and Macs) is that one can simply keep an obsolete box with OS around to run old applications as needed, as they have no significant resale value. I picked up a Mac 512K in its big padded case for only $35 on eBay !

I have found that a tablet of any kind cannot replace hard core productivity with a keyboard & mouse, but they are fine for media and web surfing.

Yeah a lot of people caught up in the hype will never understand that. For productivity in the work place, or productivity at home, the desktop will always have its place. Besides the overwhelming user interface advantage of the keyboard and mouse, the reality is a large stationary computer will always have much more processing power than a light mobile device, and that power is important for a lot of productivity applications, whether they have to do with design work, simulation work, video editing, mathematical calculations, etc.

I'm having a hard time imagining why I'd by another PC since buying a so-called phablet, a Samsung Galaxy Note. I

Don't do much typing do you?

Tablets are fine for surfing, not so fine for working and entering words and data.

Don't do much typing do you?

Tablets are fine for surfing, not so fine for working and entering words and data.

You're right. Typing is always easier and more productive on a keyboard. And having a desktop UI is a lot easier way of organizing files. I looked at the layout of Windows 8 and I think it would take awhile to to get used to as it appears to be a mobile OS on a desktop. I may try it and see how it works but it's certainly not what I'm used to. As for the typing on a mobile device there's this Android App called Swiftkey 3 that tries to predict what you're saying, much better than auto correct. It gives you 3 words it thinks your trying to type so you often don't have to finish the word. If you're typing a common phrase you often don't even have to type a letter as it can predict your phrase. It also can access your Gmail or Facebook to learn your writing style. Pretty interesting stuff. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey&hl=en

Anyone tried any voice to text applications?

The stock Samsung Android Keyboard always gives you the option of using voice to text. It's gotten really good but you can't really verbally give commands for capitals or punctuation (or at least I haven't figured out how to). It's alright for doing searches (sorta like with Siri) or simple text messages.

Still on XP with three 'puters. I'm well satisfied,but use Firefox not IE.

I'm using DOS 4.0 but hope to upgrade to DOS 6.0 as soon as I know Microsoft has all the bugs worked out.

I'm using DOS 4.0 but hope to upgrade to DOS 6.0 as soon as I know Microsoft has all the bugs worked out.

Be sure to get yourself a copy of Norton Commander. It's nearly indispensable.

It is when you're using a Mac.

Well the sentiment of wanting to upgrade the OS wouldn't matter to an Apple fan. rolleyes.gif

Apple fans are also happy spending 3 times more for a comparable computer.

That being said, from what I've seen from Windows 8 is that it's looking to trump Apple's user friendliness. It looks extraordinarily simple to use.

Same with a Windows 8 phone. If people would start making apps for Windows Phone I can see people who like the ease of use of iOS devices switching teams.

It is when you're using a Mac.

Ever since Apple switched to Intel processors, the ability to handle Windows is right there. Might need a dual boot application in order to load one OS or the other.