Political Discussion Forums

What are you reading right now?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"A Thinking Person's Guide to Islam. The Essance of Islam in 12 Verses from the Qur'an" by H.R.H. Prince Ghazi Bin Muhammad.  Turath publishing, 2016.  I like it. Very enlightening. 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

What's it about?

Set a couple of hundred years in the future it's confined to the Solar System. (Where I'm up to, anyway.  Near the end of the first book)

Earth, Mars and the Asteroid Belt are separate political entities and they don't get along that well.  The protagonists are a jaded Belter cop and a more idealistic cargo ship captain who are thrust together by circumstances in opposition to the bad guys, who seem to be working to weaponize a virus of alien origin. 

It's not not up there with the best SF I've read but it is easy to read and very enjoyable.

15 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Set a couple of hundred years in the future it's confined to the Solar System. (Where I'm up to, anyway.  Near the end of the first book)

Earth, Mars and the Asteroid Belt are separate political entities and they don't get along that well.  The protagonists are a jaded Belter cop and a more idealistic cargo ship captain who are thrust together by circumstances in opposition to the bad guys, who seem to be working to weaponize a virus of alien origin. 

It's not not up there with the best SF I've read but it is easy to read and very enjoyable.

I'll have to check it out! Hopefully they have it for Kindle. (Which I have found saves shelf space.)

19 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Yes, I've read quite a few of them.

I'm waiting for the one where they introduce Dirk's older brother - Arm. 

**ba dumm tsssss**

The sad this is, it took me a few seconds to get that. I seriously had to think it through.

did you read the one where the U.S. "bought" Canada, somehow? That was actually a good one, despite being implausible. 

I was re-reading a couple lately. Think I originally read them in late middle school/early high school days.

47 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

The sad this is, it took me a few seconds to get that. I seriously had to think it through.

did you read the one where the U.S. "bought" Canada, somehow? That was actually a good one, despite being implausible. 

I was re-reading a couple lately. Think I originally read them in late middle school/early high school days.

Yes, I have an odd sense of humour. :unsure:

I think the book you're thinking of is Night Probe.  Ya, it was a gooder.

Sahara was good too.  And then the movie.

Edited by Goddess

I haven't read Sahara, yet. I have read a bunch of the "original" ones (the ones up to Trojan-whatever, where Cussler is writing by himself and the main character is still Dirk Pitt). If I remember correctly:

Inca gold, Treasure, Deep Six, Cyclops, Raise the Titanic, Night Probe, Atlantis Found, Valhalla Rising, Flood Tide. Might have read Iceberg....or not. It was in high school I read most of them (I'm 40, now). I bought used copies of Treasure and Cyclops to re-read since it's been so long. But there are so many books I have only read partway through. Sahara was indeed a good movie. 

I started a good one to read while I'm reading Shogun: The Lost World of Byzantium. Always loved the Byzantines for some weird reason. (I never finished Lord Norwich's series on the same, alas.)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...