Political Discussion Forums
bcsapper

2.5 billion dollars for a new bridge...

I can see the bridge from my dinning room.........The incident you cite was the result of the construction of the new bridge...

Yes, and the increased traffic capacity contributed directly to the shortcomings of a cable stayed design. They wanted a total of five lanes in each direction, instead of "twinning" (that's Canada-speak) the existing capacity of the relatively young steel arch bridge.

but still, since it opening there has been a noticeable increase on other routes……

Is that due to the tolls?

Guest Derek L

Yes, and the increased traffic capacity contributed directly to the shortcomings of a cable stayed design. They wanted a total of five lanes in each direction, instead of "twinning" (that's Canada-speak) the existing capacity of the relatively young steel arch bridge.

Oh, I know all about that damn bridge........The Lions Gate Bridge was built in the late 1930s, and as far as I know, there are no plans to replace it.........The Port Mann Bridge though was/is a crossing for the Trans Canada Hwy.........Though I hardly make my way through Surrey if I’m heading East on the #1 (I‘ll take Lougheed hwy to Mission), the Surrey side, namely the first exit (152nd street) over the bridge was absolutely ridiculous during the week Eastbound, and god awful 7 days a week when going Westbound.

Guest Derek L

Is that due to the tolls?

It plays a part.........Same with the Golden Ears Bridge......$6-7 each way for me.......The alternatives, the Pattullo bridge is just scary, and the Queensborough/ Alex Fraser is hit or miss, and nothing needs to be said about the Tunnel……….

It plays a part.........Same with the Golden Ears Bridge......$6-7 each way for me.......The alternatives, the Pattullo bridge is just scary, and the Queensborough/ Alex Fraser is hit or miss, and nothing needs to be said about the Tunnel……….

Yeah, I spent 15 years having to go through that damn tunnel, and then over the Oak Street Bridge. Thankfully, not every day, or I don't think I would have lasted that long.

For everyone who is against this proposal I'd like to know what makes you all experts on this matter. Or is it a case of believing what the media tells you and swallowing it whole?

We need to trust our governments, that is what we elect them for. They are experts. We are just armchair critics with mostly zero expertise and training on these matters.

It snows where I live too.....roads are routinely closed. No big deal.

It snows a LOT where I live. We've got a lot of bridges too, one of the newer ones is a similar design to the Port Mann (cables coming down off of a giant phallus). I've never seen a bridge closed due to snow, and I've never seen falling ice hitting cars. Competent designers take these things into account in a northern climate.

.... I've never seen a bridge closed due to snow, and I've never seen falling ice hitting cars.

Falling ice and snow is not unusual on bridges in many places. The Tacoma Narrows bridge has such closings.

Falling ice and snow is not unusual on bridges in many places. The Tacoma Narrows bridge has such closings.

The Tacoma Narrows bridge can't even take a little wind...

The met folks say that this situation was a little unusual in that temperatures were alternating above and below freezing combined with precipitation. Our normal weather pattern would be a frontal passage with temperatures going either up or down but not cycling between the two. It will be interesting to see how often this causes a problem with this particular bridge. It hasn't been a big one on the Alex Fraser or Golden Ears so far.

I'm betting that the old bridge was closed from time to time for various incidents related to weather. I googled just such a weather incident in 2011 which caused a BC Hydro tower to collapse.

Port Mann bridge, Lougheed Highway closed after hydro tower collapses – Vancouver Sun

Posted on
by

6.jpg

CBC.ca Port Mann bridge, Lougheed Highway closed after hydro tower collapses Vancouver Sun METRO VANCOUVER – Highway 1 remains closed in both directions at the Cape Horn interchange after last night’s collapse of a BC Hydro tower. The Lougheed Highway is also closed from Brunette Avenue to ..

Are you being purposely obtuse, or are you related to American Woman? What does a hydro tower collapse have to do with the design of the bridge? They closed the bridge because they didn't want people driving on that part of the highway. Has nothing to do with the design of the bridge. If there was no bridge in that place, the highway would have been just as closed. There isn't a jurisdiction that gets snow that won't have to close highways one in a while due to snow. That's different than the design of this bridge, which appears to be poor.

Are you being purposely obtuse, or are you related to American Woman?

No, and if you didn't come in on the ass-end of the discussion, you would have realized that the point was bridge closures due to weather events. Bridges often are part of a road system with two approaches for vehicle traffic. Maybe in Canada they have invented a way to only have a bridge.

No, and if you didn't come in on the ass-end of the discussion, you would have realized that the point was bridge closures due to weather events. Bridges often are part of a road system with two approaches for vehicle traffic. Maybe in Canada they have invented a way to only have a bridge.

I think I came in pretty early. Since I live in the area, I can tell you it's a new one to me. Not road closures, including bridges, but stuff falling off the cables of the bridge. We have 3 other cable stay bridges here that I can think of. It's never been an issue, or never reported in the media, at least. I've never heard of just a bridge being closed for snow.

Edited by Canuckistani

.... I've never heard of just a bridge being closed for snow.

Then clearly you have not traveled far, as it happens in other locations around the world too. Maybe BC drivers think they are special. Bridges close for lots of reasons.

You are related to American woman. This is an unusual event for us, it's not something I've heard about here. And it only happened on the new bridge, not the 3 other cable stay bridges. Thus it's a newsworthy even for us, here, the special people. It may not interest somebody who comes on a Canadian discussion for no discernible reason. Oh, well.

You are related to American woman. This is an unusual event for us, it's not something I've heard about here. And it only happened on the new bridge, not the 3 other cable stay bridges. Thus it's a newsworthy even for us, here, the special people. It may not interest somebody who comes on a Canadian discussion for no discernible reason. Oh, well.

Look, I don't know why you feel the need to personally attack another member, but if you have a beef with my opinion about bridges in cold climates then just say so. Whether you are aware of such events or not does not determine if they exist. You have a brand new $2.5 billion bridge and guess what, snow and ice didn't just decide to start haunting just one cable stayed bridge in North America.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Look, I don't know why you feel the need to personally attack another member, but if you have a beef with my opinion about bridges in cold climates then just say so. Whether you are aware of such events or not does not determine if they exist. You have a brand new $2.5 billion bridge and guess what, snow and ice didn't just decide to start haunting just one cable stayed bridge in North America.

You make your snide comments about not travelling much, but whinge when I snap I at you. And not just for this topic, I just don't get why you come here in the first place. I talk about Americans a lot - to Canadians on Canadian forums. I make snide comments about Americans a lot. To Canadians on Canadian forums. I would never go on an American forum to do so - what they want to discuss is their business.

Ice did start haunting the newest cable stayed bridge here, when it's never haunted our other cable stayed bridges, the oldest one has been here since the 30's. That's why it's as story for us. We don't really care that it's commonplace elsewhere, it's not here. Get it?

Agreed. And if you ask me 'special' is the person shrugging it off as weather when clearly it's design.

You make your snide comments about not travelling much, but whinge when I snap I at you. And not just for this topic, I just don't get why you come here in the first place.

That's fine.....I don't travel much...to Canada. There is absolutely no reason for me to do so. But I have probably crossed far more different bridges than you, and even a bridge tunnel system that is over 23 miles long. Weather matters....

I talk about Americans a lot - to Canadians on Canadian forums. I make snide comments about Americans a lot. To Canadians on Canadian forums. I would never go on an American forum to do so - what they want to discuss is their business.

I know...as I can read your snide comments on the CBC. Knock yourself out, but it is a violation to personally attack other members on this Canadian forum.

Ice did start haunting the newest cable stayed bridge here, when it's never haunted our other cable stayed bridges, the oldest one has been here since the 30's. That's why it's as story for us. We don't really care that it's commonplace elsewhere, it's not here. Get it?

No. Enjoy your new bridge and mother nature. Now it is a story for you.

Agreed. And if you ask me 'special' is the person shrugging it off as weather when clearly it's design.

Which is why I asked who approved the design. DUH !

Which is why I asked who approved the design. DUH !

Now it makes sense to cross @ Rosedale...a mere option for visitors to Lotus Land pre-bridge toll.

Guest American Woman
Are you being purposely obtuse, or are you related to American Woman? What does a hydro tower collapse have to do with the design of the bridge? They closed the bridge because they didn't want people driving on that part of the highway. Has nothing to do with the design of the bridge. If there was no bridge in that place, the highway would have been just as closed. There isn't a jurisdiction that gets snow that won't have to close highways one in a while due to snow. That's different than the design of this bridge, which appears to be poor.

????

How did I get dragged into this? blink.png