Political Discussion Forums

Book on Islam condoning hitting wives features letter from Ontario Lab

TORONTO -- A letter of support from Ontario's labour minister appears in the latest edition of a book on Islam which condones men physically punishing their wives.

The letter from Yasir Naqvi appears in the reviews section of Islam: Balancing Life and Beyond.

The book says it is within the tenants of Islam to "lightly" strike your spouse if she exhibits "serious moral misconduct."

Naqvi congratulates author Suhail Kapoor on the release of the new edition.

"I admire your drive to reach out to the public and promote values of tolerance, understanding and respect," Naqvi said in the letter.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/03/12/book-on-islam-condoning-hitting-wives-features-letter-from-ontario-labour-minister-yasir-naqvi

Of course I can only find it in the sun, but just imagine if this was a consevative,the CBC would have gone ballastic.

Of course I can only find it in the sun, but just imagine if this was a consevative,the CBC would have gone ballastic.

Of course if one only looks at the Sun then of course you'll only find it in the Sun.....duh!

For the record....N Post, Tor Star, CBC News, Citizen.....IOW , all of 'em...,<sigh>

Guest American Woman

TORONTO -- A letter of support from Ontario's labour minister appears in the latest edition of a book on Islam which condones men physically punishing their wives.

According to this National Post article, he didn't read the book before writing his letter of support: Ontario labour minister says he didn’t read book on Islam condoning spousal abuse before writing letter of support

Ricky: Lucy!!! (slapping noise)

Lucy: Wahhhhhhhhhh!!!

Fred: You hit her pretty hard there, Rick.

Homer and Bart: (laughing) Hit her pretty hard...

Lisa: (yelling downstairs) Will you turn that thing down??

Don't our politicians swear oaths on religious books that condone stoning wives and kids to death?

An excellent point. One that will surely be glossed over by those in the "correct" religion as a biblical metaphor not to be taken literally (except that it was for hundreds of years).

According to this National Post article, he didn't read the book before writing his letter of support:

Then the man is an idiot....

Then the man is an idiot....

Not sure the label fits.

He was likely contacted by a publisher who asked if he would write a foreword (or whatever they are called) and here is the synopsis of the book.....and he bought it.

Naive? Rookie mistake? yea probably.

Don't our politicians swear oaths on religious books that condone stoning wives and kids to death?

Yeah, but most sane people realise they are not user's manuals any more.

Still, it's only a light tap, with what I'm sure must be a very small stick. Who are we to tell other cultures what to do?

At least someone got it right:

Opposition Leader Tim Hudak says it’s disturbing that Naqvi endorsed such “garbage” and should apologize.

To be fair to the poor fellow, though, he doesn't actually say he's read it. He just looks forward to reading it.

Thank you for writing to me with regards to your book Islam : Balancing Life and Beyond. I appreciate the time you have taken to write and share this project with me.

My colleagues and I proudly embrace and support Ontario’s diversity; our province is representative of some 200 countries and over 130 languages. This leads to an exciting union of citizens that simultaneously displays an array of many different religious beliefs and backgrounds. I admire your drive to reach out to the public and promote values of tolerance, understanding and respect. I wish you the best of luck on your reprint, and look forward to reading it upon its release.

Yasir Naqvi, MPP
Ottawa Center, Ontario, Canada

With all the friction out there about islam and he does not even take the time to see what the book was about? The man is a fool, just like when he said on CFRA the galetta solar field was employing lots of people , which was 1 , the guy who cut the grass.

Edited by PIK

Boy, all you Booster Club supporters must surely be embarrassed now.

Thank you for writing to me with regards to your book Islam : Balancing Life and Beyond. I appreciate the time you have taken to write and share this project with me.

My colleagues and I proudly embrace and support Ontario’s diversity; our province is representative of some 200 countries and over 130 languages. This leads to an exciting union of citizens that simultaneously displays an array of many different religious beliefs and backgrounds. I admire your drive to reach out to the public and promote values of tolerance, understanding and respect. I wish you the best of luck on your reprint, and look forward to reading it upon its release.

Yasir Naqvi, MPP
Ottawa Center, Ontario, Canada

The letter from Yasir Naqvi appears in the reviews section of Islam: Balancing Life and Beyond.

The book says it is within the tenants of Islam to "lightly" strike your spouse if she exhibits "serious moral misconduct."

Naqvi congratulates author Suhail Kapoor on the release of the new edition.

"I admire your drive to reach out to the public and promote values of tolerance, understanding and respect," Naqvi said in the letter.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/03/12/book-on-islam-condoning-hitting-wives-features-letter-from-ontario-labour-minister-yasir-naqvi

It didn't say what you should strike her with.

Yeah and your point.

I think this pussification of society is pretty stupid people deserve to get hit sometime, if not outright killed for more heinous acts.

Why must people surrender all their capacity to the government, its a load of crap. people should be empowered, and our society emerged from a society that openly used corporeal punishment to one that does so corruptly through hidden process and frame ups and coverups.

If you don't hit someone hard enough to leave a mark, its really nothing.

People are out there spanking children the same way.

generally the factor is if you don't hit them hard enough to leave a mark its not child abuse.

Personally I think it is destructive behaviour but it is lawful behaviour.

its just the whole ownership thing, if women can spank their children I see nothing morally wrong with men or women spanking their spouse.

Seciton 43 of the criminal code.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/LOP/ResearchPublications/prb0510-e.htm

I'm sure more than more than one woman would condone slaping her husband for having an affair.

|it does not constitute cruel and unusual treatment or punishment. |

but yes it is assault.

sleeping around isn't exactly "harmless" either for your conjugal partner.

I slap hit myself all the time when I work out.

Although I probably woulnd't a good b!tch slap is well deserved on a cheating spouse whether male or female if the relationship isn't salvagable and was suppose to be, and was agreed to be monogamous.

This isn't condoning beating, on the contrary it is condoning restraint, and largely symbolic actions.

Considering some muslim countries have the death penalty for spousal cheating.. this is very moderate.

If people agree to a monogamous relationship and cheat it is a form of assault and offence.

I don't think this really differs from other religions and civil institutions.. adultery was a crime once upon a time that carried pretty hard punishments, far worse than being slapped.

English ancestory has a much more vicious history for that crime.

Edited by shortlived

It didn't say what you should strike her with.

Hmm...what tools do you feel is appropriate? Is the rule of thumb still ok with you?

generally the factor is if you don't hit them hard enough to leave a mark its not child abuse.

Personally I think it is destructive behaviour but it is lawful behaviour.

its just the whole ownership thing, if women can spank their children I see nothing morally wrong with men or women spanking their spouse.

A whole lot of stupid in this post, dime store lawyer.

Hmm...what tools do you feel is appropriate? Is the rule of thumb still ok with you?

A whole lot of stupid in this post, dime store lawyer.

Wet noodle?

Personally I don't advocate for hitting people, I think if violence is warranted you should be prepared to kill people.

Self defence is totally reasonable.

I think there is a difference between symbolic physical contact, and potraying violence or causing actual harm.

There are plenty of contact sports out there. Lots of parents spank their kids.

99.9% of the time, superficial contact is just that superficial.

Its really not worth involving the justice system.

Its only when it becomes repeated and habitual that it is an issue, but really if a wife or husband is cheating on their spouse repeatedly and they know it hurts them, what type of marriage is that.

Adultery use to be a crime in the British legal system.

None the less. This is not a personal concern for myself.

I think that saying strike and do not cause harm is much better than advocating that murdering your spouse for adultery is a much stronger position in terms of Canadian 'culture'.

Wife beater is better than a wife murderer.

I think socially there exists a margin between assault and non violent physical communication.

It is when it is habitual and non deserving that it becomes abuse.

Although, once again I don't personally have these issues so it is not a personal issue.

I'm not really for monogamy anyway. But I think people should be respectful. If you can be happy in a monogamous relationship fine, if that is what you agree to, it is betrayal not to.

Obviously it should not be an intent to cause harm but communicate displeasure. it is a symbolic act, an effigy of sorts.

Society has been turned into a bunch of non violence pussies, meanwhile they are blowing people up overseas. It is a bit of a farce.

If you arn't maiming people it is a personal issue, or civil issue, and remunerative functions should be able to mitigate harms.

But as far as making contact and not causing actual harm, its really not worth involving the justice system over, it is completely superficial.

I think there should be a crime of "harassment assault" where the assault is habitual, even if minor, however isolated incidents with reasonable cause are pure BS. \

Being mean to people isn't nice but people should be provided a defence against just having to take it as a victim.

But I am not saying cheating deserves the punishment of death, it is a civil and personal issue, and it should be left to that level of response, unless the person is endangering the public through transmitting STD's that are serious in nature, at which point it becomes criminal, and people who uphold civic duty will treat it as an indictable offence. Physical communication that is non harmful is at that level. Abuse, and harassment are not, they are criminal.

Its not a minor issue marital breakdown is a MASSIVE problem.

Edited by shortlived
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone in Canada that thinks that striking theri wives is okay has no place in Canada! Women are not chattel, women are not property to be ordered around like virtual slaves, WOMEN in Canada are EQUALS to and man, and should be treated as such. Any immigrant male who treats his wife in such a manner should be immediately deported, while their wives and children should be given permission to stay and become citizens, as they have a right to be free thinking human beings.