Political Discussion Forums
bush_cheney2004

Cornea Transplant System Broken

...You don't have to 'denigrate' necessarily. I don't think B_C even denigrated Canada, just criticized one of our systems. I don't think you have to live in a country to criticize it either.

Agreed, and thanks for the balanced perspective. This story struck me as odd given how routine corneal transplant surgery has become in any "western developed country". The lack of donors and provincial collaboration seems to point to a fractured system that may have structural issues far beyond the usual bickering about resources and wait times.

The CBC would cease to exist in its current form without nearly $1 billion in government financing. It is also government controlled at several regulatory levels, including the CRTC. State sponsored.....State financed.....State controlled.

no - go shine someone else on... as inconsistent as it stands, you use the pointed word controlled to imply messaging. Does FCC regulatory oversight, or U.S. government agency funding suggest the U.S. government controls all/some American media... and it's messaging?

why is so important for you to speak pointedly of government control/sponsorship/financing whenever you mention the CBC? What bearing has it to this, your latest scouring attempt to dredge up another example where you think you can score mileage against Canadian health/healthcare... while conveniently ignoring the faults/failings of your claimed country's health/healthcare?

no - go shine someone else on... as inconsistent as it stands, you use the pointed word controlled to imply messaging. Does FCC regulatory oversight, or U.S. government agency funding suggest the U.S. government controls all/some American media... and it's messaging?

Yes, but not to the same degree as is the state controlled CBC in Canada. Luckily, Canadians prefer and have access to many American and some Canadian alternatives.

why is so important for you to speak pointedly of government control/sponsorship/financing whenever you mention the CBC? What bearing has it to this, your latest scouring attempt to dredge up another example where you think you can score mileage against Canadian health/healthcare... while conveniently ignoring the faults/failings of your claimed country's health/healthcare?

This is off topic, the very thing you whine about when others do it. Since corneal transplant surgery is part of the state controlled procedure and payment system in Canada, it is appropriate to point out other other aspects of government control in Canadian lives, regardless of what happens in foreign countries. Many Canadians grow weary of the "look at the U.S." excuses for hellish wait times and leaders who cross the border for faster care.

Yes, but not to the same degree as is the state controlled CBC in Canada.

oh, it's a matter of degree with you, hey? :lol: Like I said, shine on!

This is off topic, the very thing you whine about when others do it. Since corneal transplant surgery is part of the state controlled procedure and payment system in Canada, it is appropriate to point out other other aspects of government control in Canadian lives, regardless of what happens in foreign countries. Many Canadians grow weary of the "look at the U.S." excuses for hellish wait times and leaders who cross the border for faster care.

no - it's definitely not off topic... I'm responding to your words. But this is even richer fodder - you rationalize your continued use of your CBC government controlled labeling because... wait for it... wait for it... "your're speaking to a facet of government controlled healthcare"!!! :lol:

oh, it's a matter of degree with you, hey? :lol: Like I said, shine on!

Thank you for acknowledging the obvious....1 billion ways.

no - it's definitely not off topic... I'm responding to your words. But this is even richer fodder - you rationalize your continued use of your CBC government controlled labeling because... wait for it... wait for it... "your're speaking to a facet of government controlled healthcare"!!! :lol:

Corneal transplant surgery is a scheduled procedure subject to the single payer commie restraints on private insurance and providers. As is my custom, I would like to point out that donated tissues are tested in accordance with the EBAA....EYE BANK ASSOCIATION of AMERICA.

http://www.cnib.ca/en/your-eyes/ask-expert/corneal-transplant/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by bush_cheney2004

As is my custom, I would like to point out that donated tissues are tested in accordance with the EBAA....EYE BANK ASSOCIATION of AMERICA.

I see all the recent discussion has had a meaningful and profound impact on you! You went all-CAPS and bold-highlighted... couldn't you have increased the font-size, and added some colour as well? :lol:

I see all the recent discussion has had a meaningful and profound impact on you! You went all-CAPS and bold-highlighted... couldn't you have increased the font-size, and added some colour as well? :lol:

I could have, but sometimes less is more...like corneal transplants in Canada.

As is my custom, I would like to point out that donated tissues are tested in accordance with the EBAA....EYE BANK ASSOCIATION of AMERICA.

I could have, but sometimes less is more...like corneal transplants in Canada.

or... like the U.S. health disadvantage, or... like the U.S. obesity epidemic. I guess you don't remember those MLW threads, hey?

but really, you dive right back in, a head-first troll! Why are you so lacking in confidence as to perpetually tout your claimed country over the most insignificant circumstance? In this case, apparently, the CNIB follows a testing protocol standard as established by an American institution... which means it's time for you to raise the USA rally flag - USA!, USA!, USA!.

... which means it's time for you to raise the USA rally flag - USA!, USA!, USA!.

Not just me, but also in Ontario and Quebec, where a shortage of donors has eyes gazing at American donors:

More corneas

Not enough people donate their eyes in the province. In the month of June, the eye bank

experienced their worst drought in nearly a decade and had to cancel 15 surgeries.

More donations areneeded.

...Toronto is the poorest donator in the province, with 70 per cent of donations coming from hospitals outside the city.

“Based on the

population of this province we should be in a position to keep the best

ones here and continually feed the other tissue to other countries,”

says Sharpen. “There’s no reason for this. None at all.”

...In times of desperation, when there are shortages of corneas, the province could

ship them in from the United States. (There is also interprovincial

sharing. But Dr. William Dixon, medical director of the eye bank, says

shortages are often countrywide). The U.S. eye banking system has been

so successful there’s a regular surplus of tissue. While tissue can’t be

bought because it’s a gift, those bringing in the donations will pay

for processing fees. Quebec has reduced the province’s wait list by

doing this since 2009. Today, Quebec is importing about 40 per cent

less, according to HEMA (the province’s transplant organization)

spokesman Louis-Philippe Gagné. It does, however, cost more money.

Processing fees for a cornea from the U.S. are about $2,700.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/07/20/how_to_fix_the_cornea_transplant_system.html

but really, you dive right back in, a head-first troll! Why are you so lacking in confidence as to perpetually tout your claimed country over the most insignificant circumstance? In this case, apparently, the CNIB follows a testing protocol standard as established by an American institution... which means it's time for you to raise the USA rally flag - USA!, USA!, USA!.

Not just me, but also in Ontario and Quebec, where a shortage of donors has eyes gazing at American donors:

whaa! No all-CAPS this time? But really, are you attempting to compensate for some personal lacking? Perhaps you should go out and buy a flashy sports car, hey? Why the burning, pressing, and repeating need to consistently tout your claimed country?

whaa! No all-CAPS this time? But really, are you attempting to compensate for some personal lacking? Perhaps you should go out and buy a flashy sports car, hey? Why the burning, pressing, and repeating need to consistently tout your claimed country?

As another member has noted, this relentless exercise engages and mocks the inconsistencies and neuroses displayed herein with respect to the United States' foreign and domestic policies by some Canadians, their collective but ill defined identity, and love-hate relationship with the global hegemon.

Provinces importing American eyeballs presents yet another interesting symbolism....developing.

Why the burning, pressing, and repeating need to consistently tout your claimed country?

As another member has noted, this relentless exercise engages and mocks the inconsistencies and neuroses displayed herein with respect to the United States' foreign and domestic policies by some Canadians, their collective but ill defined identity, and love-hate relationship with the global hegemon.

Provinces importing American eyeballs presents yet another interesting symbolism....developing.

as another member has noted??? You mean you can't speak for yourself? But let's work with what you're claiming another member has noted:

relentless! Yes, clearly, it's been your mission, your 'shtick'... for years and years, on end. And you're an engaging mocker - a relentless mocker... claiming to engage your perceived Canadian inconsistencies/neuroses with respect to U.S. foreign/domestic policy. You're an engaging relentless mocker intent on addressing your perceived Canadian collective but ill defined identity. You're an engaging relentless mocker intent on showcasing your perceived Canadian love-hate relationship with a global hegemon.

and in this particular thread that you've initiated, you're initially exercising your relentless engaged mocking by highlighting the Canadian National Institute for the Blind relies upon a testing protocol standard established by a U.S. institution... and you're extending upon your initial relentless engaged mocking by highlighting certain Canadian provinces are importing U.S. donor corneas. Does that about cover it? You're doing all this relentless engaged mocking of your perceptions through, in this particular case, a U.S. established testing protocol standard and U.S. donor corneas? Does that about cover it?

and this has what to do with your perceived Canadian inconsistencies/neurosis with respect to U.S. foreign/domestic policy? And this has what to do with your perceived Canadian collective but ill defined identity? And this has what to do with your perceived Canadian love-hate relationship with a global hegemon?

as another member has noted??? You mean you can't speak for yourself? But let's work with what you're claiming another member has noted:

No.....clearly I can speak for myself (see 30,000+ posts). The other esteemed member(s) may not necessarily agree with my relentless schtick but they understand not only the time honoured tactic(s), but larger strategic game play / purpose.

and in this particular thread that you've initiated, you're initially exercising your relentless engaged mocking by highlighting the Canadian National Institute for the Blind relies upon a testing protocol standard established by a U.S. institution... and you're extending upon your initial relentless engaged mocking by highlighting certain Canadian provinces are importing U.S. donor corneas. Does that about cover it?

No....as the CBC piece, presumed to be written by Canadians for Canadians, directly reports this fact, something that you also took exception to above. I merely drafted this story as another well packaged example of CHA/Provincial health care gap(s) that contains contrast with the evil U.S. for profit health care "system" at several levels. One may recall my similar thread involving two B.C. kids with untreated spine deformities, also reported by the CBC.

These kind of stories are slam dunk examples that are an exact match for my breech loading gun aimed at inconsistencies, neuroses, and identity conflicts exhibited here and elsewhere in the context of "U.S. failings".

8inblr.jpg

so… you’re a mocking tactician! To you, your self-acknowledged relentless mocking shtick is strategic game play… you have a relentless mocking purpose!

you feel you've found yet another, as you say, slam dunk example!; another example for your described aimed breech loading gun. Another example where you’re intent on extending upon your extreme sensitivities and avenging what you infer as egregious liberties being taken in the context of MLW Canadian members identifying “U.S. failings”. Liberties that, to you, reflect upon the, as you claim, inconsistencies, neuroses and identity conflicts of these same MLW Canadian members. Captain America, it’s good to know you’re on the case!!! :lol: Speaking for yourself... 30,000+ posts, you say! Are you making any headway Captain?

5c0izl.jpg

... Captain America, it’s good to know you’re on the case!!! :lol: Speaking for yourself... 30,000+ posts, you say! Are you making any headway Captain?

Yes.....as in other examples, I have confirmed that corneal transplant surgery happens faster in the U.S. .....and Spain ! There is an old Don Martin eye bank cartoon from years ago, but I can't find it right now.

so… you’re a mocking tactician! To you, your self-acknowledged relentless mocking shtick is strategic game play… you have a relentless mocking purpose!

you feel you've found yet another, as you say, slam dunk example!; another example for your described aimed breech loading gun. Another example where you’re intent on extending upon your extreme sensitivities and avenging what you infer as egregious liberties being taken in the context of MLW Canadian members identifying “U.S. failings”. Liberties that, to you, reflect upon the, as you claim, inconsistencies, neuroses and identity conflicts of these same MLW Canadian members. Captain America, it’s good to know you’re on the case!!! :lol: Speaking for yourself... 30,000+ posts, you say! Are you making any headway Captain?

Yes.....as in other examples, I have confirmed that corneal transplant surgery happens faster in the U.S. .....and Spain ! There is an old Don Martin eye bank cartoon from years ago, but I can't find it right now.

bully, bully for you, hey? Of course this is just one example... healthcare related. Obviously you carry your vengeful relentless mocking pursuits across the full gamut of any/all MLW topics. But for now, with this healthcare focus, what egregious examples of MLW members taking liberties with, as you say, "U.S. Failings", are you avenging? Which past/current MLW healthcare related threads are driving your vengeful relentless mocking pursuit? Which MLW threads are you avenging, Captain?

bully, bully for you, hey? Of course this is just one example... healthcare related. Obviously you carry your vengeful relentless mocking pursuits across the full gamut of any/all MLW topics.

Yes, but only when the spirit moves me. Health care is a real hot button around here, and seemingly forms part of the basis for a "not-American" identity (eyeballs and tissue standards notwithstanding). This report on the continuing dismal performance for corneal transplant surgery across provinces is an eye opener.

But for now, with this healthcare focus, what egregious examples of MLW members taking liberties with, as you say, "U.S. Failings", are you avenging? Which past/current MLW healthcare related threads are driving your vengeful relentless mocking pursuit? Which MLW threads are you avenging, Captain?

Whichever ones I please to post or respond to....same as you. Most Americans are purposely oblivious and indifferent to what happens in Canada, but having found this fascinating window into all that is Canuck worthy, somebody has to represent the "dark" but collective reality that are American policies and actions that seemingly confound some Canadians as expressed here. A simple "Canada is not the U.S." doesn't seem to satisfy them.

"This report on the continuing dismal performance for corneal transplant surgery across provinces is an eye opener."

Show us where this came from? We both know its bull shit

"This report on the continuing dismal performance for corneal transplant surgery across provinces is an eye opener."

Show us where this came from? We both know its bull shit

It came from the Canadian Medical Association. Is that OK with you ? I await your heartfelt apology....

Canadian corneal transplant track record "dismal"

COS 2012, July 3 - The Canadian corneal transplant track

record is dismal when compared with other parts of the world, and

experts are calling for Canada to mend its ways.

"In many ways, we are worse off than some areas in the developing

world," said Dr. Paul Dubord, clinical professor in the Department of

Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at the University of British Columbia

in Vancouver. For example, in Hyderabad, the capital of Andhra Pradesh, a

state in India with a population of 84.6 million, "people there have

better access to corneal transplantation than the citizens of Canada,"

he added.

http://www.cma.ca/learning/canadian-corneal-transplant-track-record-dismal

I await your heartfelt apology....

OK, I am sorry you cant grasp the simple fact that surgery across provinces is quite successful with a better than 85% rating.

OK, I am sorry you cant grasp the simple fact that surgery across provinces is quite successful with a better than 85% rating.

So does this mean that you think the Canadian Medical Association is "bullshit" ? The topic is corneal transplant surgery, and Canadians say that the process is very much broken. Deal with it instead of attacking me as a diversion.

So does this mean that you think the Canadian Medical Association is "bullshit" ? The topic is corneal transplant surgery, and Canadians say that the process is very much broken. Deal with it instead of attacking me as a diversion.

:lol:

bully, bully for you, hey? Of course this is just one example... healthcare related. Obviously you carry your vengeful relentless mocking pursuits across the full gamut of any/all MLW topics.

Yes, but only when the spirit moves me. Health care is a real hot button around here, and seemingly forms part of the basis for a "not-American" identity (eyeballs and tissue standards notwithstanding).

it seems the spirit moves you - often, continually, repeatedly, over and over, ad nauseum! So, in this, your latest effort, identifying a testing protocol standard and cornea imports is your way of forging a common identity!!! You’re a uniter – not a divider! :lol:

But for now, with this healthcare focus, what egregious examples of MLW members taking liberties with, as you say, "U.S. Failings", are you avenging? What past/current MLW healthcare related threads are driving your vengeful relentless mocking pursuit? Which MLW threads are you avenging, Captain?

Whichever ones I please to post or respond to....same as you.

no, no, no – I’m asking you to identify the “U.S. Failings” threads you’re responding to. Clearly, you’ve stated liberties have been taken by Canadian MLW members in the “U.S. Failings” threads you broadly mention. I’m again asking you, which MLW threads are you attempting to address… to counter… with this thread? Surely you must be able to identify the liberties taken – what threads are you speaking to? Name the threads – name them!

Most Americans are purposely oblivious and indifferent to what happens in Canada, but having found this fascinating window into all that is Canuck worthy, somebody has to represent the "dark" but collective reality that are American policies and actions that seemingly confound some Canadians as expressed here. A simple "Canada is not the U.S." doesn't seem to satisfy them.

again, you’re a uniter – not a divider! By highlighting a testing protocol standard and cornea imports… you’re representing, as you say, a “dark and collective reality” – that Canada is… is… the U.S.!!! You’re deep… no… deeper than deep! Your described 30,000+ posts are a testament to your dedication… that you’re not just another (claimed) American, purposely oblivious and indifferent to what happens in Canada!!! You care, you really, really care - 30,000+ posts worth!

So does this mean that you think the Canadian Medical Association is "bullshit" ?

Why not at all, why would one think that?

Some of Your posts on this are, and yes I am sorry for the posting of BS.

The topic is corneal transplant surgery, and Canadians say that the process is very much broken. Deal with it instead of attacking me as a diversion.

Now now,no one is attacking anyone unless one posts BS. If you think, and it appears so, that you fit the bill, I cant do anything about that.

One way is to be honest in your posts then. The system to get a corneal transport has issues, but the transplants themselves are quite successful here.