Political Discussion Forums

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson's comments.

WWWTT

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think A&E acted different than any other network would have. I don't think they had a choice and I don't think any other networks will be rushing to pick them up,

I think other TV stations wouldnt have been so quick to jump.

As for moving to a new network, I doubt the Robertsons have enough money to get out of the current contract

You're probably right, most networks likely prefer to vest their interest in in more moral offerings, like Snooki and Jaywow or Rodeo Girls.

rodeo-girls-ae.pngToo true but there is a difference. I don't a

Too true but there is a difference. I don't watch the duck boys or any other "reality" shows so to me they are just dead air time.

I think other TV stations wouldnt have been so quick to jump.

As for moving to a new network, I doubt the Robertsons have enough money to get out of the current contract

Without reviewing the contract, I would guess that it's already been broken with A&E's dismissal of Phil. The rest of the Robertson family have already issued a statement suggesting that they will not be doing the show without Phil.

Without reviewing the contract, I would guess that it's already been broken with A&E's dismissal of Phil. The rest of the Robertson family have already issued a statement suggesting that they will not be doing the show without Phil.

What's up for debate is not that they can't quit, it's if they can move their act to a competitor.

The only way I see a move to another network being impossible is if there's some sort of non-compete clause in their contract.

Edited by Boges

What do you base that opinion on?

It's called Duck "Dynasty" for a reason.

Breaking contracts is always a prohibitively expensive proposition.

Think of the enormous contracts these guys have, now add the profits A&E make , now add those together and multiply by the number of seasons they are likely attached for.

They dont have that much money .

Breaking contracts is always a prohibitively expensive proposition.

Think of the enormous contracts these guys have, now add the profits A&E make , now add those together and multiply by the number of seasons they are likely attached for.

They dont have that much money .

But if you get fired "for cause" doesn't that break the contract already. If they don't show up for work, what does A&E do?

This is all speculative at this point, we'll see what happens.

Anyway. . .

The fascinating aspect of this story is how it illustrates the cultural divide in the US at this point.

Edited by Boges

Suspended for what? Having an opinion that differs from the network? Not sure that will stand up in court.

People get fired for opinions all the time.

In Canada, a Sportsnet commentator got fired, many believe, because he stated he was pro "traditional" marriage.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2011/05/12/fired_sportsnet_host_damian_goddard_stands_by_tweets.html

Edited by Boges

People get fired for opinions all the time.

In Canada, a Sportsnet commentator got fired, many believe, because he stated he was pro "traditional" marriage.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2011/05/12/fired_sportsnet_host_damian_goddard_stands_by_tweets.html

If a contract can be altered based on feelings, then I'm sure the Robertson's have very strong feelings around this matter as well and will be moving on.

But if you get fired "for cause" doesn't that break the contract already. If they don't show up for work, what does A&E do?

First, Phil is suspended, not fired

If they do not show up then they can expect to lose a shitload of money, in salary for starters, then in damages for not showing up for work.

First, Phil is suspended, not fired

If they do not show up then they can expect to lose a shitload of money, in salary for starters, then in damages for not showing up for work.

These guys are independently wealthy. They aren't Honey Boo's Boo's mom or Snookie who have their well-beaning attached to being on a reality show.

Willie's net work is $20 million

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/ceos/willie-robertson-duck-commander-net-worth/

I'm thinking they didn't sign their life away to appear on this TV show. And trust me, if A&E went after them, I'm sure their fans would completely have their back.

Edited by Boges

If a contract can be altered based on feelings, then I'm sure the Robertson's have very strong feelings around this matter as well and will be moving on.

Feelings? WTF are you tlaking about?

They can move on, without the shirt on their back after the suit of course but hey , they can.

Maybe Duck Commander will still be profitable, likely so, but DD makes more money so they best be saving up

Edited by Guyser2

These guys are independently wealthy. They aren't Honey Boo's Boo's mom or Snookie who have their well-beaning attached to being on a reality show.

Willie's net work is $20 million

Ok

Would it be wrong to think A&E's profit on this show is at least that much? I would think so.

Now take that $20M + and multiply it by a few years. Think Willy wants to give up his entire net worth because his dad said homophobic things? ....er No!

I'm thinking they didn't sign their life away to appear on this TV show. And trust me, if A&E went after them, I'm sure their fans would completely have their back.

No one ever does, but there are clauses that fcan cripple them

Their fans do have their back, but is it enough?

Now lets add all the Duck Dynasty garb and chotchkes that are sold. Thats all A&E products/profits.

Now go back and add that to the damages above....thats a metric shite load of money that in all honesty I dont think they have.

Feelings? WTF are you tlaking about?

They can move on, without the shirt on their back after the suit of course but hey , they can.

Maybe Duck Commander will still be profitable, likely so, but DD makes more money so they best be saving up

It's interesting, I've been searching Google and I can't find any articles commenting on either of our positions that A&E has the Robertson's dead to rights if they don't continue with the show or that the Robertson's can go elsewhere if they want.

No one commenting that A&E can sue if the Robertson's don't continue with the show and no one commenting if the Robertson's can move on.

I think most in the media are more interested in the moral and cultural implications of this story than the legal ones. I think we'll find out either way very soon as the new season starts up again in January.

It's definitely an interesting story though.

Edited by Boges

Now lets add all the Duck Dynasty garb and chotchkes that are sold. Thats all A&E products/profits.

Now go back and add that to the damages above....thats a metric shite load of money that in all honesty I dont think they have.

I've read overall the families net worth is $80 million. Now how much of that is directly attributed to the show? who knows?

I was in the grocery store recently and saw and Uncle Si book at the Magazine Stand. So I think they have their hands in a lot of stuff, should the show go away, I think they'd be just fine.

It's interesting, I've been searching Google and I can't find any articles commenting on either of our positions that A&E has the Robertson's dead to rights if they don't continue with the show or that the Robertson's can go elsewhere if they want.

Standard contracts stipulate all these things. There are morals clause, non compete clauses, cancel clauses in conjucntion with non compete, and quite clauses to go elsewhere, and all of them incur a penalty.

If you want to play naive (and youre not) why doesnt Joe Pro sports player just up and change teams? Why doesnt Mickey D's just throw out Coke and bring in Pepsi?

Why? Because of $$$$$$

Either way, it's definitely an interesting story.

It is but for differing reasons.

All said, wtf was A&E thinking about? The guy was known to them and millions of others as a Minister, a red neck southern Minister. Of course he is anti-gay lifestyle. Of course he thinks it a sin.

He is on tape (that A&E knows exists) saying much the same and worse and now they decide to punish him?

Oi vey !