Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Topaz

Windows XP

After listening to a computer program, I thought I mention that after April 8, 2014, Microsoft is withdrawing support from this and if you open your computer, you probably be hacked and invaded by a virus, if you are running XP. Not sure anyone here is but just note a caution.

I took the opportunity to upgrade to windows 8. It only crashes about once a week on average so I'm satisfied.

Installation was about as onerous as it was to install Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows 98, Windows XP...

Microsoft should die soon. But I'll be kind, and hope that it goes quickly for them...

No worries...third party support for virus protection will continue for older 32-bit platforms for several more years. Bank ATMs still use WinXP, and Microsoft has a contract to continue support. Windows XP is far from dead.

Microsoft should die soon. But I'll be kind, and hope that it goes quickly for them...

Be careful what you wish for. The competition is a closed OS that only runs on the vendors own h/w or a mishmash of open source projects which work OK as long as you have the correct combination OS version and UI toolkit. Edited by TimG

Be careful what you wish for. The competition is a closed OS that only runs on the vendors own h/w or a mishmash of open source projects which work OK as long as you have the correct combination OS version and UI toolkit.

The devices are getting more locked down and restricting what the user can do with the device.

XP will still work just fine, and the security risks are minimal with some basic protection. This is planned obsolescence forcing the consumer whore to spend money on things they do not need.

People who use their computers to do work still use Windows by a wide margin over its so-called competition. There is a massive library of software for Windows computers that simply doesn't exist for other operating systems. If Windows machines suddenly ceased to exist, many businesses would have to run Windows emulation on some other operating system.

I personally found upgrading to Windows 8 to be a painless experience. And once you have it set up to boot directly to desktop, it's a seamless transition from Windows 7. I have yet to have a single system freeze-up under Windows 8, and I expect many years of use out of this computer.

I put this machine together in 2008, upgraded the processor in 2010, the video card in 2011, and added a solid state drive as the main drive in 2013. All of this stuff is so fast and powerful that it blazes through almost every task. The only thing I ever do that slows it down is converting video files to different formats, and I doubt new computers fair much better at that task. And I seldom do that anyway. The solid state drive is an amazing upgrade, by the way... highly recommended.

I think most computer users are in a similar situation. The desire for more processing power or more disc space or better graphics no longer drives computer sales. Unless you use your computer for specialized tasks (hardcore gaming, sound/image/video processing, certain scientific and technical applications...) the computer you bought 5 years ago has all the power and graphics and disc space you need. So what drives mainstream computer sales now? Unless your hardware fails and you need to replace it, what makes you buy a new computer?

-k

I installed 8 on a computer that came with Vista 64. I haven't done any upgrades. At first I thought it was crap because the machine ran slow and took forever to boot up. I was thinking I might need something newer but after getting it tuned up at the shop, it has been running great. Other than converting the odd video file, i don't demand a lot from it so unless it dies on me, I don't see replacing it any time soon