Political Discussion Forums

Is the CFL really going to Strike?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/cflpa-recommends-going-ahead-with-strike-vote/article18636798/

The Canadian Football League’s Players Association is recommending its members proceed with a strike vote, according to a Sportsnet report.

The collective bargaining agreement between the CFL and its players expires May 30, on the eve of training camp. And while both sides are scheduled to meet later this week, Sportsnet reports that the union is preparing for a potential labour stoppage, believing that after four months of negotiating, the two sides are at an impasse.

The CFL is an inferior product to the NFL. Players that can't hack it in the NFL come up here to see if they can excel in a different type of league.

People out west seem to love it but none of the Eastern teams all lose money.

TSN has greatly increased their exclusive TV deal with the league from $15 million to $40 million. Yet the CFL only proposes an increase into each team's salary cap of less than a million. So the math doesn't add up. But it's not like the CFL is a top league. The players don't have the leverage that players in the NHL or NBA do.

If the players are willing to give up games and money they'll be the losers even though, you could argue the owners are being quite greedy. But owning a CFL team isn't terribly lucrative. Only a few of the teams make any money at all, so perhaps the owners think this TV deal is finally a way for them to finally make some money out of their investment.

Still, the increase is paltry considering the windfall received in the TV deal.

I would have to see the owners giving the players a bit more, but how much. We'll see. But if there's a strike I fear for the league in the East. Whoever decided to put at team in Ottawa must be like FML!

Edited by Boges

The reason players have leverage in the US is because of TV. The more TV revenue the more the owners have to lose from a stoppage.

I actually prefer the Canadian game even if it doesn't have the best players.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/cflpa-recommends-going-ahead-with-strike-vote/article18636798/

The CFL is an inferior product to the NFL. Players that can't hack it in the NFL come up here to see if they can excel in a different type of league.

People out west seem to love it but none of the Eastern teams all lose money.

TSN has greatly increased their exclusive TV deal with the league from $15 million to $40 million. Yet the CFL only proposes an increase into each team's salary cap of less than a million. So the math doesn't add up. But it's not like the CFL is a top league. The players don't have the leverage that players in the NHL or NBA do.

If the players are willing to give up games and money they'll be the losers even though, you could argue the owners are being quite greedy. But owning a CFL team isn't terribly lucrative. Only a few of the teams make any money at all, so perhaps the owners think this TV deal is finally a way for them to finally make some money out of their investment.

Still, the increase is paltry considering the windfall received in the TV deal.

I would have to see the owners giving the players a bit more, but how much. We'll see. But if there's a strike I fear for the league in the East. Whoever decided to put at team in Ottawa must be like FML!

The difference between the CFL and the NFL is not as far as the salaries go.2 different games with different skill sets. And of course the NFL will get the better players which IMO alot would not cut it up here,again because of the rules. And the CFL is a bums in the seat league, not like the 100's of millions the NFL get from tv. The CFL is just starting to really shine and the players deserve a raise, but how much. The game it self is superior to the american game. And if it was not for canada , there is a good chance there would be no NFL , if you know the history.

Opinions that the CFL is a superior game is highly debate-able. Of course that'll get us no where because it's all about personal tastes. I personally find 3 down football abysmally boring.

As for the idea that the CFL is a bums in the seats league, maybe in the West. The teams in the East can't draw more than 30,000 fans. Apparently Montreal hasn't sold out a game since they upped the seats in the stadium to 25,000. The Argos are lucky to draw 30,000. Toronto is also about to have to find a new home. It's said that renovations to nearby BMO field to increase the 20,000 seat stadium to 30,000 would cost more than the Argos are worth. Hamilton has a rabid fan base with a new stadium but still, they won't draw more than 25,000 people. As for Ottawa, well there's a track record there isn't there?

In the west, completely different story. You get 50,000 easy and the CFL teams are the only game in town.

Now this increased TV deal has put more money in the owners pockets similar to how the NFL works, but if I was an owner of an East team who's hemorrhaged money since the start, I might be reluctant to just hand over most of this new money to the players.

Edited by Boges

Opinions that the CFL is a superior game is highly debate-able. Of course that'll get us no where because it's all about personal tastes. I personally find 3 down football abysmally boring.

As for the idea that the CFL is a bums in the seats league, maybe in the West. The teams in the East can't draw more than 30,000 fans. Apparently Montreal hasn't sold out a game since they upped the seats in the stadium to 25,000. The Argos are lucky to draw 30,000. Toronto is also about to have to find a new home. It's said that renovations to nearby BMO field to increase the 20,000 seat stadium to 30,000 would cost more than the Argos are worth. Hamilton has a rabid fan base with a new stadium but still, they won't draw more than 25,000 people. As for Ottawa, well there's a track record there isn't there?

In the west, completely different story. You get 50,000 easy and the CFL teams are the only game in town.

Now this increased TV deal has put more money in the owners pockets similar to how the NFL works, but if I was an owner of an East team who's hemorrhaged money since the start, I might be reluctant to just hand over most of this new money to the players.

3.5yrds and a pile of dust is not fun to watch, compared to the fast pace 3 down football. Toronto is a problem because they think they are some world class city and anything canadian is not good enough for them. If they don't embrace the CFL they will have no football or even a team that brings home the bacon. So if TO wants to embrace losers then go ahead. Stadiums are being built for 25g's that is all they need. Remember we don't have a population of 300 million. Hamilton will be fine and so will ottawa. There is no track record in ottawa because this is the 1 st time they have had real owners with real money in decades. 16000 season tickets sold this yr and the home opener is almost if not sold out. I watch both leagues and enjoy both, buit the NFL is a slow game and really the rule changes over the yrs brings in closer to the CFL and they have now gone with gunslingers QB's instead of the relying on the RB. And the gay catch rules ruins the game and they are even looking at taking more kicking out of their games. And with johnson in montreal I think the seat will be filled. Both leagues are great leagues and fooball is the fastest growing sport in canada right now especially in quebec.

No argument for the first part of this post but this part....?

FYI-Single game attendance-Season 44,910 playoffs is 35,418

Sell outs? Pre season 1, regular season 9....ya ready for this...Playoffs 1

Surprised?

http://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/attendance/2013/

...The game it self is superior to the american game. And if it was not for canada , there is a good chance there would be no NFL , if you know the history.

If the CFL product was superior then it would not have difficulties in Canadian markets, television contracts, merchandizing, etc. The NFL actually helped the CFL with interest free loans (1997) or it may have gone under after failed expansion into the larger U.S. market.

Hard to take the CFL seriously with "imported" player restrictions:

Each team may dress a 42-man active roster consisting of:

• 3 QBs (no designation)

• 19 imports

• 20 non-imports

The 19 imports break down as follows:

• 16 imports

• 3 Designated Imports

The three designated imports are players who can play on special teams OR replace an import starter (they cannot start).

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters must be non-imports. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of non-import players):

• 1 QB

• 16 starting imports

• 7 starting non-imports

A player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate of 7 years prior to turning 15 or if he’s a Canadian Citizen, was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of 5 years prior to turning 18.

If the CFL product was superior then it would not have difficulties in Canadian markets, television contracts, merchandizing, etc. The NFL actually helped the CFL with interest free loans (1997) or it may have gone under after failed expansion into the larger U.S. market.

That was along time ago the NFL helped them out and I do not think the owners and GM's see it as a D league, more and more CFL'ers are tarting to be noticed down south. The people sucked in by the glitz and glamour and hype of the NFL might think that.If you actually look at the tv ratings in canada you will be surprised at what you will learn.Ican tell you have not paid attention to the CFL in yrs by your posts.I bet you are probably one of the people that think a amereican college team could beat a CFL team. lol

Hard to take the CFL seriously with "imported" player restrictions:

Each team may dress a 42-man active roster consisting of:

• 3 QBs (no designation)

• 19 imports

• 20 non-imports

The 19 imports break down as follows:

• 16 imports

• 3 Designated Imports

The three designated imports are players who can play on special teams OR replace an import starter (they cannot start).

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters must be non-imports. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of non-import players):

• 1 QB

• 16 starting imports

• 7 starting non-imports

A player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate of 7 years prior to turning 15 or if he’s a Canadian Citizen, was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of 5 years prior to turning 18.

Because you don't understand the league,that is why. The NFL is just one big billion dollar meat market business that does not give a hoot to anything but it's self. The CFL is more of a big family that has done alot for the unity of this country, and gives players a chance to develop. And with the history and traditions the CFL has in it's 100+yrs americans should be interested with the american content in the history of the league. IMO I don't think the SB has as big of migration of fans going to that game as the GC, I could be wrong but I don't think so. Check out the videos ''Engraved on a nation'',everyone who is a football fan should watch, american or canadian

If the CFL is such a different product then why compare it to the NFL at all ? The NFL's Super Bowl and some conference championships draw more audience share in Canada than anything from the CFL. The Grey Cup is a minor event for Americans who watch on ESPN as filler programming one notch above strong man contests and bowling.

Enjoy the CFL as you please, but don't try the same old ploy by trying to define it in American terms. If it's part of the Candian identity and unity, then that shouldn't be necessary.

It's certainly a superior game to the U.S. copy. I don't see why they decided four downs would be better. I've tried to follow NFL football, but it's terribly boring by comparison, even though the athleticism is often better. It's interesting how difficult a time U.S. quarterbacks have adapting to the Canadian game. Most never succeed at all.

Many of the top CFL players (including quarterbacks) were American...so much for that lame theory. Getting back on topic, I suspect that many people here (including me) earn more that the average CFL player salary of about $80K. No wonder they want to strike.

Anonymous people on the Internet always make at least in the six figures. That's why they're anonymous and spend all their time on the Internet.

But my point regarding QBs is that it takes them a great deal of time to adapt to the Canadian game. Success in the NFL doesn't guarantee success in the CFL. It's a steep learning curve and there are only a handful of experienced, effective CFL quarterbacks today. That limited pool is demonstrated by guys like Kevin Glenn who, despite years of mediocre play, continue to pop up on CFL rosters.

Edited by BubberMiley

I guess this thread won't be about the impending strike and the state of the CFL.

4 downs is better because it allows for more of a strategic approach. American/Canadian Football is a game of Chess. Since each play is a set piece, each play is a different game, in essence.

What the CFL does is make it harder to play defence by expanding the field, adding a player, making the defensive line up a yard off the ball and 20 yard endzones. So you get wide open action.

Giving the offence 4 plays to get the 10 required yards allows for a lot more variety of what can be called. But the game is evolving into more of a passing league. The long ball is more entertaining after all.

The NFL is recently seeing an uptick in athletic QBs. It's almost a pre-requisite to be an option QB in the CFL but the NFL has been dabbling with it a bit. See Tebow, Kapernick, RG3, Russel Wilson, Manziel etc etc.

But we see with RG3 that a QB that often decides to run with the ball is playing with fire in a league where defences are so good. Ultimately it's a game that favours the pocket passer.

Edited by Boges

I guess this thread won't be about the impending strike and the state of the CFL.

4 downs is better because it allows for more of a strategic approach. American/Canadian Football is a game of Chess. Since each play is a set piece, each play is a different game, in essence.

What I like about four downs and longer play clocks is you get more chances to see guys standing around. can't get enough of that.

"Opinions that the CFL is a superior game is highly debate-able. Of course that'll get us no where because it's all about personal tastes. I personally find 3 down football abysmally boring. "

The NFL puts me to sleep.

Teams grind it out with four downs to get their 10 yards.

Worse, the pace of the games are glacial with long long commercial breaks throughout, =and it gets worse at the end of the half and the game.

The CFL has far more action and are ultimately just more entertaining, partly because there is much more risk taking, and of course the players are less skilled so there are more mistakes.

IMHO, the CFL's marketing appeal and player contract leverage will always be negatively impacted by more widely available product "south of the border" from the NFL and NCAA college football. There are far fewer CFL teams, games, cities, media outlets, and skilled position CanCon approved players compared to "imports". The CFL is Canada's professional football heritage, but it will never compare to the pro sports business that is the NFL.

IMHO, the CFL's marketing appeal and player contract leverage will always be negatively impacted by more widely available product "south of the border" from the NFL and NCAA college football. There are far fewer CFL teams, games, cities, media outlets, and skilled position CanCon approved players compared to "imports". The CFL is Canada's professional football heritage, but it will never compare to the pro sports business that is the NFL.

I don't think most Canadians do compare it to the NFL, it is a different gsme. We certainly can't seem to compete when it comes to the number of fellons produced.