Political Discussion Forums
guyser

Toronto named best place to live.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Hamilton is a sh!t-hole.  It smells like those disgusting steel mills on the lakefront that emit garbage into the air out of their smokestacks.

hamiltonlanding.jpg

There’s a lot more to Hamilton than the steel works.  It actually has a nice geography with the escarpment, bay, many waterfalls, and Royal Botanical Gardens.  I used to judge that city based on its industrial side, but it’s got a lot going for it.  In some ways it’s a more authentic city.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Hamilton is a sh!t-hole.  It smells like those disgusting steel mills on the lakefront that emit garbage into the air out of their smokestacks.

hamiltonlanding.jpg

Hamilton actually is quite large (area-wise). Sure portions are industrial, rundown and poor. But it also has gentrified urban area, greenspace and upscale suburbs. The Escarpment makes part of Greater Hamilton, very livable. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

hamiltonlanding.jpg

Edited by taxme

On 1/30/2015 at 9:03 AM, guyser said:

Not bad at all.

Im betting they didnt include sports teams in that ranking, nor a winter index.

And congrats to Montreal placing second.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/29/toronto-ranked-best-place-to-live-in-economist-ranking-of-cities-around-the-world/

Let the haters chime in..... :P

Wonderful news!!   Hope all crowds go that way to those marvelous places to live!

On 4/10/2020 at 8:54 PM, Moonlight Graham said:

hamiltonlanding.jpg

Oh no!  Hamilton is the cherry on the cake!  After a while you get so used to the stench it starts smelling like home.

• Thanks 1

The Mountain in Hamilton is what riled me up after Alberta. This little hill, are you serious? I did appreciate warm summer evenings on the deck, though, doing my lizard impersonations. In the places that I have spent most of my time, there’s always a doubt that winter will behave itself and pack its bags. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

5 hours ago, Boges said:

The Niagara Escarpment is actually a quite impressive geologic feature. 

Yes, a lot of natural beauty, but I like the steel works, because if any Canadian city is self-sufficient it's a place like Hamilton.  They can and have produced just about everything.  It also has a lot of agriculture, including a respectable stretch of the fruit belt in Winona.  Hamilton stretches to the border of Cambridge.  I think it's the diamond in the rough that will stand the test of time because it has a truly self-sustainable economy.

9 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yes, a lot of natural beauty, but I like the steel works, because if any Canadian city is self-sufficient it's a place like Hamilton.  They can and have produced just about everything.  It also has a lot of agriculture, including a respectable stretch of the fruit belt in Winona.  Hamilton stretches to the border of Cambridge.  I think it's the diamond in the rough that will stand the test of time because it has a truly self-sustainable economy.

Shhhhh! We're trying to keep that quiet! 

In Finland we say it is the smell of money when people complain about the unpleasant smell emitted by the paper-mills.

1 hour ago, -TSS- said:

In Finland we say it is the smell of money when people complain about the unpleasant smell emitted by the paper-mills.

Yup.  In England’s north they used to say, “Where there’s muck there’s money”.   You want industry and the ability to produce important items.  Having steel on a major canal system, as well as agriculture, research hospitals, and universities, is how you buffer yourself against whatever bullshit unfolds everywhere else.  

On 4/23/2020 at 9:17 PM, Boges said:

The Niagara Escarpment is actually a quite impressive geologic feature. 

It is impressive in part because the surrounding land is so flat.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, -TSS- said:

Those aromas must be disappearing in Finland, too? 

Yes, a lot of paper-mills have been closed and the rest will follow in the not so distant future.