Political Discussion Forums

Trudeau's Committment to Syrian Refugees - 25,000 by Year End

My point is that we all knew it was an overly ambitious goal that only the strongest Trudeau supports sided with - publicly anyway. I would suggest that the change of heart was more likely CSIS, RCMP and refugee Lawyers etc talking sense into Trudeau rather than listening to us.

However we came to this place doesn't much matter, the hope is that the screening process is better and more complete.

As for Hillier, I don't know what he thinks. I do know that people with his influence can say different things in different settings. Maybe he believes that the process was sufficient, maybe he is responsible enough to not embarrass the Prime Minister in public - we'll never know.

Hillier said in September, we could bring 50,000 refugees in by the end of the year.

So, I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that Hillier is Trudeau's b*tch or are you saying that everyone knew this wasn't doable but him? And me apparently.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only concerning? A lot of you folks appear to be downright terrorized.

I didn't think I'd have to spell it out...but OK; A person of power who makes decisions because he/she is too stubborn and inflexible to see the big picture is not a person that I trust. Trudeau did what was right, and I am glad of that.

It's not a broken promise. That's the allegation being levelled against Trudeau at this point.

Technically, maybe that's true but...

1. I don't care.

2. Probably most of the people here don't care.

3. The refugees who are going to spend a few extra months in camps don't care.

Aside from the Liberals and their supporters, it seems like pretty much a non-issue.

Hillier said in September, we could bring 50,000 refugees in by the end of the year.

So, I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that Hillier is Trudeau's b*tch or are you saying that everyone knew this wasn't doable but him? And me apparently.

Ok, so he's right, and you're right - Trudeau is wrong. Personally, I think (if that's what he believes ) he's wrong. Sure, you could get 25,000 refugees here by the weekend if you wanted to, does it make sense? IMO, No! WTF do you want me say.

BTW, September was a long time ago.

Technically, maybe that's true but...

1. I don't care.

2. Probably most of the people here don't care.

3. The refugees who are going to spend a few extra months in camps don't care.

Aside from the Liberals and their supporters, it seems like pretty much a non-issue.

Conservatives are already overjoyed with a broken promise.

I think you folks assume that this government is run in the same manner as the Harper government. Wrong. While JT is ultimately responsible for any decisions of this government, I have no doubt that it was his Cabinet who have been making the decisions in the last few weeks.

You may have noticed that JT has been kind of busy lately and that the Cabinet has been meeting on this issue without him. It may be difficult to accept, but maybe he is allowing his Cabinet to make their own decisions - like most (before Harper) Cabinets have been doing in Canada for years. This is a democratic government - not a dictatorship.

Like I said, he is ultimately responsible for all decisions but he has stated that he will pick his people and allow them to make those decisions which belong in their portfolios. This is very different from the last 9 years.

I think you folks assume that this government is run in the same manner as the Harper government. Wrong. While JT is ultimately responsible for any decisions of this government, I have no doubt that it was his Cabinet who have been making the decisions in the last few weeks.

You may have noticed that JT has been kind of busy lately and that the Cabinet has been meeting on this issue without him. It may be difficult to accept, but maybe he is allowing his Cabinet to make their own decisions - like most (before Harper) Cabinets have been doing in Canada for years. This is a democratic government - not a dictatorship.

Like I said, he is ultimately responsible for all decisions but he has stated that he will pick his people and allow them to make those decisions which belong in their portfolios. This is very different from the last 9 years.

You're saying democracy is back?

I think JT should be credited for a bonus promise. He never promised to restore democracy.

Edited by ReeferMadness

I fully believe that his people did set him straight.

It's telling however, that when he was committed to his timeline, you guys were calling it "the right thing to do" and calling him a strong leader for it. Now that he has changed course...we live in a democracy (unlike the Harper years).

Look, he was wrong before and now he came to the right decision. Why the need to defend him? Your attempt to lionize him for this is kinda desperate.

Conservatives are already overjoyed with a broken promise.

Well, you have to remember they're still butt-sore because their great hope for changing the world of politics, the guy who was going to bring integrity and transparency to Ottawa turned out to be everything they claimed to be against. Then, to top it off, their broken heroes were soundly defeated by the son of Pierre Trudeau, whom they've been mocking as a lightweight for the past 3 years.

So, let them have their fun. It's not a great time to be a Conservative.

Only concerning? A lot of you folks appear to be downright terrorized.

I haven't noticed anyone terrorized or even afraid. I've only noticed people who prefer to be careful given there is no reason whatsoever to rush into this.

Look, he was wrong before and now he came to the right decision. Why the need to defend him? Your attempt to lionize him for this is kinda desperate.

I have no intent of lionizing or praising anyone. The JT style is very different from Harper's. If you notice, JT was not involved in the Cabinet meetings at which this issue was discussed and decided. Notice that he was not around at the press conference or at any interviews. That is his style.

It may come back and bite him in his assets if/when some minister makes a mistake and JT has to take the heat. That is the chance you take with that management style.

I am stating what I see. This appears if it is going to be governing by government - something different from the recent past.

I have no intent of lionizing or praising anyone. The JT style is very different from Harper's. If you notice, JT was not involved in the Cabinet meetings at which this issue was discussed and decided. Notice that he was not around at the press conference or at any interviews. That is his style.

It may come back and bite him in his assets if/when some minister makes a mistake and JT has to take the heat. That is the chance you take with that management style.

I am stating what I see. This appears if it is going to be governing by government - something different from the recent past.

That might be by design, optically, he doesn't look to be backtracking and he doesn't have to field questions about it. Not that the press would pitch anything but softball questions.

Trudeau's delay of Syrian refugees was not a flip-flop or broken promise but a right move to make. He will still admit the 25000 refugees but 15000 a month or two later and that is no big deal. What would have been a wrong move was to compromise the security of the country or the nation or well being of refugees (no housing or readiness) based on stubbornness and a campaign promise,

On another note yes we will welcome these desperate refugees in a timely fashion but I had said it before in order to maintain peace and prosperity in this country we need lower immigration quotas (about 150,000 per year down from 250,000) and improved selection criteria (those ho are more adoptable to the culture here) like may be more from Europe and US and less middle east and Africa). Yeah I am not as leftist as some of you guys may think.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

Well, you have to remember they're still butt-sore because their great hope for changing the world of politics, the guy who was going to bring integrity and transparency to Ottawa turned out to be everything they claimed to be against. Then, to top it off, their broken heroes were soundly defeated by the son of Pierre Trudeau, whom they've been mocking as a lightweight for the past 3 years.

So, let them have their fun. It's not a great time to be a Conservative.

Are you 12?

Just so we understand the facts here, the liberals were wrong, the election promise wasn't realistic, even after Paris they refused to back track, and after weeks of questions and complaints and taken abuse from (insert insult here) like you it turns out the liberals finally agree with us, not you. So, it seems, to use your pathetic insult, that you are the one that is butt hurt.

Again, are you 12?

Are you 12?

Just so we understand the facts here, the liberals were wrong, the election promise wasn't realistic, even after Paris they refused to back track, and after weeks of questions and complaints and taken abuse from (insert insult here) like you it turns out the liberals finally agree with us, not you. So, it seems, to use your pathetic insult, that you are the one that is butt hurt.

Again, are you 12?

Thanks for proving my point.

I've never voted Liberal in my life and I couldn't care less whether this counts as a broken promise or not. I'm just glad that your feckless hero has been shown to be the bum he is and is now shown the door. So, whine away.

I didn't think I'd have to spell it out...but OK; A person of power who makes decisions because he/she is too stubborn and inflexible to see the big picture is not a person that I trust. Trudeau did what was right, and I am glad of that.

Did you trust George W Bush?

I haven't noticed anyone terrorized or even afraid. I've only noticed people who prefer to be careful given there is no reason whatsoever to rush into this.

The tone of the stridency is at least an octave higher than my tinnitus....anyone else hear that?

Edited by eyeball