Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Big Guy

Hero or Vigilante -- Les Yasinsky

Five years ago, Les Yasinsky lost his son to a drunk driver. These days on weekends he is on the hunt for drunk drivers. He stakes out local bars and waits to see who stumbles to their cars. Then he calls 911 and reports them to police.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/les-yasinsky-drunk-drivers-1.3366488

He is proud that he has reported and helped convict 5 drunk drivers. He is also trying to organize a "Men Against Drunk Driving" with volunteers doing what he does around bars across Canada.

Is Les a hero or a vigilante?

Hall Monitor perhaps but not Vigilante.

The fear is that if the police don't respond he'll take it upon himself to confront one of these people.

MADD is a horrible organization, I hope there isn't any appetite for FADD.

He's no hero... he's not a vigilante... if these people were drunk, then they deserved to be caught.

If he calls the cops on everyone who leaves the bar and has caused hassles for people who aren't drunk, then he's a dickhead.

Five years ago, Les Yasinsky lost his son to a drunk driver. These days on weekends he is on the hunt for drunk drivers. He stakes out local bars and waits to see who stumbles to their cars. Then he calls 911 and reports them to police.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/les-yasinsky-drunk-drivers-1.3366488

He is proud that he has reported and helped convict 5 drunk drivers. He is also trying to organize a "Men Against Drunk Driving" with volunteers doing what he does around bars across Canada.

Is Les a hero or a vigilante?

He's an inevitability. A sad one but inevitable nonetheless. I still can't fathom why breathalyzer-ignition interlocks aren't mandatory in human operated vehicles.

Nor can I fathom why automating our vehicles, roads and highways isn't a national infrastructure priority. Driverless vehicles will prevent thousand of lives from being lost and hundreds of thousands from being injured every single year.

As long as he just reports and lets the police handle it, what he is doing is completely within the law. It is no different from reporting any other suspected crime.

If it reaches a point where he is causing a lot of hassles for people who aren't drunk, he will also be wasting the police's time and they will stop responding.

Driverless vehicles will prevent thousand of lives from being lost and hundreds of thousands from being injured every single year.

Yes, and a massive driver of unemployment too. I wonder how we'll deal with that one.

Yes, and a massive driver of unemployment too. I wonder how we'll deal with that one.

Guaranteed annual incomes.

You do realize robots and greater automation and less need for human beings in the workforce are inevitable right?

How will we program robots to feel let alone impose a moral imperative to produce on millions upon millions of human beings for whom there will simply be no work?

If it does and it has been programmed to treat human beings as slaves of a lesser order, you'd have to wonder who on Earth would do that or why?

I suspect a fusion of AI with corporate culture and good old fashioned religious hooey about idle hands myself.

If it does and it has been programmed to treat human beings as slaves of a lesser order, you'd have to wonder who on Earth would do that or why?

I suspect a fusion of AI with corporate culture and good old fashioned religious hooey about idle hands myself.

People will voluntarily live in the Matrix because there's no work to do. Robots are doing it all.

Was this thread about drunk driving?

Hall Monitor perhaps but not Vigilante.

The fear is that if the police don't respond he'll take it upon himself to confront one of these people.

MADD is a horrible organization, I hope there isn't any appetite for FADD.

Why is MADD a horrible organization?

1- neo-prohibitionist busy-bodies

2 - promote terrible policy like BC having ridiculous sanctions on people who drive who are BELOW the legal alcohol limit

3 - spread false information and lies like "any alcohol is too much" despite the fact that the people who have 1 beer are not the problem on the roads and ignoring scientific research on alcohol/alcoholism in society...

Those are the 3 off the top of my head...

Well, for starters, MADD was founded in 'Murica and is based in Irving, Texas.

Despite MADD chapters in each province, that's just bad "optics" north of the border, right ?

Well, for starters, MADD was founded in 'Murica and is based in Irving, Texas.

Despite MADD chapters in each province, that's just bad "optics" north of the border, right ?

I don't think so. It has never occurred to me to consider where MADD was founded. But this organization is much more than drunk drivers.

Nor can I fathom why automating our vehicles, roads and highways isn't a national infrastructure priority. Driverless vehicles will prevent thousand of lives from being lost and hundreds of thousands from being injured every single year.

They'll pry my steering wheel from my cold, dead hands...

I think the attempt to keep the MADD's of the world from going ballistic is what causes governments to take the most puritanical and incremental approaches they can towards allowing public access too alcohol. That said the approach towards pot will make alcohol look like soda pop.

Pot better be sugar free or they'll never get it off the ground.

They'll pry my steering wheel from my cold, dead hands...

I'm sure they could put a pretend wheel in and you could just drive around making a raspberry sound all day.

I'm sure they could put a pretend wheel in and you could just drive around making a raspberry sound all day.

Could I have a gear stick too? I miss those.

I think the attempt to keep the MADD's of the world from going ballistic is what causes governments to take the most puritanical and incremental approaches they can towards allowing public access too alcohol. That said the approach towards pot will make alcohol look like soda pop.

Pot better be sugar free or they'll never get it off the ground.

So I don't get what you are saying. Shouldn't the government be more independent of organizations like MADD?

1- neo-prohibitionist busy-bodies

2 - promote terrible policy like BC having ridiculous sanctions on people who drive who are BELOW the legal alcohol limit

3 - spread false information and lies like "any alcohol is too much" despite the fact that the people who have 1 beer are not the problem on the roads and ignoring scientific research on alcohol/alcoholism in society...

Those are the 3 off the top of my head...

For sure. MADD's biggest problem is they focus too much on finding new ways to punish responsible people rather than working to stop people who are actually DRUNK from driving.

For sure. MADD's biggest problem is they focus too much on finding new ways to punish responsible people rather than working to stop people who are actually DRUNK from driving.

That's correct...MADD is about punishment first. Payback is a bitch ! Very American......