Political Discussion Forums
Topaz

Downsides of POT

This is a case of half-assed research. How many of these cases are really a result of marijuana use?

How does he know? And why haven't the rates gone up for residents?

First off, it isn't research and no one has claimed it is except you. It is what ER's are observing and they have a statistic to back it up. They make no claim as to what it actually means.

Tell me about the dark side of alcohol and why does it remain legal?

We all know about the dark side of alcohol and are continually trying to deal with it. In the case of alcohol, we did it backwards, legalized it first then tried to adapt the law to deal with its dark side. Might be better to do it the other way around, figure out the dark side first then legalize it in a way that deals with the problems that arise. Taking a good look at jurisdictions which have legalized before jumping off the cliff ourselves would seem prudent.
This whole thing reminds me a lot of the climate debate. Neither side wants acknowledge any information that might conflict with their pre conceived view or follow up to find out what that information really means, if anything.
Edited by Wilber

If there wasn't a chuckle to be had along the really really really really stupid road to legalization drinking would probably be an even bigger problem than it is.

A very real problem as I see it is the sheer contempt for law and authority that dragging our assess on legalization inspires.

Who knows where that slippery slope leads?

Edited by eyeball

So how much pot do you smoke or ingest?

I can't smoke or ingest - I have no choice, the state forces me to abstain.

You don't have them breathing down your back? Must be nice.

Not that much at all actually. Prorated on a daily basis it would amount a mere speck. I'm exposed to way more 2nd hand smoke/vapours myself. Probably enough to make you faint.

Yeah, I get the feeling that you've been smoking pot for a lot of years. I don't understand the guilt/denial thing though. Do what you gotta do, I guess.

Nothing is more reliable than a feeling about someone you've never met. That is the basis for a lot of good internet psychoanalysis.

I don't see how eyeball's daily intake is relevant to anything at all. But do what you gotta do, I guess.

Edited by BubberMiley

I think legalization is inevitable but not acknowledging that pot use can have a dark side is counterproductive.

It's not so much about not acknowledging it, it's being indifferent towards it because just about everything out there has potential harm to it.

I think legalization is inevitable but not acknowledging that pot use can have a dark side is counterproductive.

Not compared to the harm that's been caused by the demonization of pot. It doesn't even come close.

Nothing is more reliable than a feeling about someone you've never met. That is the basis for a lot of good internet psychoanalysis.

I don't see how eyeball's daily intake is relevant to anything at all. But do what you gotta do, I guess.

This from Dr. Big Guy:

Psychoanalysis over the Internet is discussed as a means of reflecting on the way we think about theory of technique generally, and on what we mean by “communication” between patient and analyst. The way we think about online therapy has direct implications for the way we practice “offline” therapy. This problem is discussed from the point of view of the history of the theory of psychoanalytic technique, with reference to the classic 1953 paper by Kurt Eissler (K. R. Eissler, 1953, The effect of the structure of the ego on psychoanalytic technique, Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, Vol. 1, pp. 104–143) on “parameters,” and also with reference to the redefinition of psychoanalysis itself in terms of the analysis of the transference by the late Merton Gill (e.g., M. M. Gill, 1984, Psychoanalysis and psychotherapy: A revision, International Review of Psychoanalysis, Vol. 11, pp. 161–179). Online therapy is simply a different therapy, in the same way as two therapies, both offline (or both online), may be different from each other. The fil rouge that runs through this ..... blah, blah, blah ........ :P