Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Boges

Are we going to admit Universities are producing thin-skinned people?

Recommended Posts

We've gone form a society where political correctness came from a genuine desire not to insult others, to a society that is increasingly making up ways to be insulted, so they can complain about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Bonham mentioned shutting down the debate.  It sounded like he was trying to describe something unreasonable.

I wanted to know what the debate is, and how they shut it down.

If there is a conspiracy afoot, and people here know their methods then we are obliged to reveal them.  Like Islamists I assume.

There is no debate, because it is always shut down before it can even happen. But what would the debate be about? All the aspects of social justice crap that we see at universities. Safe spaces. Microaggressions. Trigger warnings. Bathrooms and pronouns. Affirmative action. Rape culture. Patriarchy. Institutionalized racism. White privilege. Voice your disagreement with the prescribed view on issues like this and you will be seen as the enemy and met with insults, ostracism, hatred, and in many cases official disciplinary action. For example, look at the torrent of insults cybercoma is unleashing on TimG in this thread for questioning the need for dozens of made up pronouns... and here it's just cybercoma, but on campuses it is the entire weight of the establishment that targets anyone who strays from the path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bonam said:

 

 For example, look at the torrent of insults cybercoma is unleashing on TimG in this thread for questioning the need for dozens of made up pronouns... and here it's just cybercoma, but on campuses it is the entire weight of the establishment that targets anyone who strays from the path.

Here's what that innocent snowflake TimG said which set off cybercoma:

Quote

The issue is arrogant a**holes who think they can make up new words and force other people to use them. It takes a special kind of narcissist to believe they are entitled to special pronouns.

But yeah, sure, it was all cybercoma trying to shut down the debate using insults.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because yeah, language is this completely static concept with no room for evolving and reflecting the times.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

Because yeah, language is this completely static concept with no room for evolving and reflecting the times.  

I don't think language evolves through mandatory edicts from Universities forcing people to use certain pronouns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boges said:

I don't think language evolves through mandatory edicts from Universities forcing people to use certain pronouns. 

Language as it pertains to respect and equality evolves through social revolutions and this is just one form of it.  

Feudal system titles, using n-word or 'boy', all these things went into the dustbin of time the same way duality of gender will one day end up in the same dust bin while some of you fight on the wrong side of history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

Language as it pertains to respect and equality evolves through social revolutions and this is just one form of it.  

Feudal system titles, using n-word or 'boy', all these things went into the dustbin of time the same way duality of gender will one day end up in the same dust bin while some of you fight on the wrong side of history.

Those words certainly didn't become unacceptable in polite company because some University administrator sent out a memo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Boges said:

Those words certainly didn't become unacceptable in polite company because some University administrator sent out a memo. 

Yes, because every social revolution happens in the exact same manner as all the others.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

Edited by BC_chick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

Feudal system titles, using n-word or 'boy', all these things went into the dustbin of time the same way duality of gender will one day end up in the same dust bin while some of you fight on the wrong side of history.

 

No, the "n-word" (i.e. "nigger", "nigga", "niggaz", etc.) and "boy" only went into the dustbin for certain social contexts, not general usage.   The words are still quite popular and in regular usage for personal communications,  terms of endearment, self segregation, literature, song lyrics, etc., by the very people they are intended to disparage.

History doesn't have any sides.

 

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, BC_chick said:

Language as it pertains to respect and equality evolves through social revolutions and this is just one form of it.  

This is not a social revolution. It is temper tantrum by infantile narcissists who think they are "special" and deserve special pronouns to match their egos. If this was simply about changing the language to reflex the complexities of biology we would be talking about exactly one additional pronoun - or the elimination of 'she/her' pronoun like they eliminated the feminine form of job titles like 'actress'.

Edited by TimG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No it's about a professor who has stated he refuses to use any pronouns other than  gendered ones assigned by birth. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What is'the debate' ?

Are we going to admit that universities infantalise students and turn them into weepy, whiny, entitled people who need safe zones to keep away from opinions which they disagree with. I don't see how the conversation has veered from that of the title of this thread.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

No it's about a professor who has stated he refuses to use any pronouns other than  gendered ones assigned by birth. 

That is not what he said. Try looking at his words:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.3786140/i-m-not-a-bigot-meet-the-u-of-t-prof-who-refuses-to-use-genderless-pronouns-1.3786144

He said he will use the pronouns that he think makes sense. I presume that means he would make some judgement based on the look of the person which may have nothing to do with what gender they were assigned at birth.

I thought this was an interesting comment:

Quote

 think that the continual careless pushing of people by left wing radicals is dangerously waking up the right wing. So you can consider this a prophecy from me if you want. Inside the collective is a beast and the beast uses its fists. If you wake up the beast then violence emerges. I'm afraid that this continual pushing by radical left wingers is going to wake up the beast.

The interview was at at a time when Trump looked like he was headed for defeat.

There are a lot of reasons for why Trump won and you can't isolate a single cause. But one contributing factor was a general disgust with the way left wing zealots constantly stake out irrational and nonsensical positions and scream like little children until they get their way.

Edited by TimG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

No it's about a professor who has stated he refuses to use any pronouns other than  gendered ones assigned by birth.

No, it's about the way the entire university has gone into convulsions of political correctness because a professor decided not to go along with whatever pronoun du jour the entitled social justice warriors come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TimG said:

There are a lot of reasons for why Trump won and you can't isolate a single cause. But one contributing factor was a general disgust with the way left wing zealots constantly stake out irrational and nonsensical positions and scream like little children until they get their way.

And that Clinton was a friend of such things, while Trump was a foe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TimG said:

That is not what he said. Try looking at his words:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.3786140/i-m-not-a-bigot-meet-the-u-of-t-prof-who-refuses-to-use-genderless-pronouns-1.3786144

He said he will use the pronouns that he think makes sense. I presume that means he would make some judgement based on the look of the person which may have nothing to do with what gender they were assigned at birth.

 

Not about gender assigned at birth, but he continues to call professor Peets, 'he'.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

People got really upset when Ms. Was first introduced I remember.

It at least served a point. It had a logic to it. MR was not definitive as to marital status, so MS wouldn't be either. It was also easy to remember and required no guesswork about what gender an individual had assigned to themselves at that particular time. It also involved 50% of the population, not 0.0004%, or thereabouts.

And I doubt the audiences were warned prior to discussions or debates that there were soothing therapists there to help them out afterward if they were too traumatized by the bad words spoken.

Edited by Argus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Argus said:

It at least served a point. It had a logic to it. MR was not definitive as to marital status, so MS wouldn't be either. It was also easy to remember and required no guesswork about what gender an individual had assigned to themselves at that particular time. It also involved 50% of the population, not 0.0004%, or thereabouts.

There was also a lot of 'logic' about keeping gays in the closet and blacks segregated.  

Hindsight of course is 20/20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BC_chick said:

There was also a lot of 'logic' about keeping gays in the closet and blacks segregated.  

No, there wasn't. And comparing this nonsense to that is... nonsense. It's like comparing my struggle to get the dumb Christmas lights I want to return back into the box to the struggle to build the CN tower.

Edited by Argus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call yourself whatever you like...  and ask to be called whatever you like...  but to mandate it by law or policy or human rights tribunals is a bit much...  

You can ask and I will happily call you he-she  or whatever the pronoun is of your choosing.  (To be honest, I have no idea what these "alternate" pronouns even are...  they just don't occur in the real world...  and I'm not some hick living in the boonies...)     

How do people like this get jobs once they're done university???  This is a made-up problem.  If you're going to university in Canada, you are already better off than 99.9% of the human population on the planet!

Edited by The_Squid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Argus said:

No, there wasn't. And comparing this nonsense to that is... nonsense. It's like comparing my struggle to get the dumb Christmas lights I want to return back into the box to the struggle to build the CN tower.

You trivializing the matter only demonstrates MH's point.  They trivialized Ms. and now it's 'logical'.  They trivialized civil rights and gay rights but now they're 'logical' too.

With enough time when trans rights become 'logical', there will also be a lot of people wondering why anyone would put up a fuss about addressing others using the pronouns they so wish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

You trivializing the matter only demonstrates MH's point.  They trivialized Ms. and now it's 'logical'.  They trivialized civil rights and gay rights but now they're 'logical' too.

With enough time when trans rights become 'logical', there will also be a lot of people wondering why anyone would put up a fuss about addressing others using the pronouns they so wish.

Show us a law that requires women to be addressed as Ms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...