Political Discussion Forums
betsy

America under President Trump

If you mean they are all Americans....yes.

True but they were Americans cut from the same peculiar cloth as the ones who insist on following/leading demagogues around.

I think Trump is much smarter than people give him credit for.

Ya he is, I mean he's been playing the media so well. He's a brilliant self-promoter. But on the other hand, virtually all his policy proposals, including his foreign policy "speech", sound like he's just talking out of his arse with little to no research behind them other than following the headlines once in a while. Whatever policies he would choose if POTUS i think would either work out very well or be a complete disaster. He's not going to suddenly turn into a measured & thoughtful guy like Mitt Romney who puts tons of research and consideration into things. He's too impatient, arrogant, and self-assured for that.

True but they were Americans cut from the same peculiar cloth as the ones who insist on following/leading demagogues around.

Certainly not limited to "right wing" or "conservative" voters. If Trump becomes president, it will be the result of a process that aggregates all voters of all stripes, including a large number who choose not to vote at all. Americans want a president, not the leader of a coalition in Parliament. Then we get to do it all over again in four years.

I think Trump is much smarter than people give him credit for.

Oh nobody underestimates sociopaths. They can be clever ... in a con-man 'me-me-me' kind of way.

But being responsible for the wellbeing of others ... and the world?

No.

He's not that kind of smart.

I admit to a guilty wish to see POTUS Trump and VP Palin.

Now that's a tragicomedy for the history books!

And entertaining for sure ... for a Canadian. :-)

Edited by jacee

Betcha he has a personal story which explains everything there is to know about sociopaths.

Betcha he has a personal story which explains everything there is to know about sociopaths.

Yeah, make fun of someone who has personal experiences - real smart.

Anyway, I do know some legitimate sociopaths and I could give you some idea of what one actually is, but as far as enlightening Jacee, that's just not possible.

You see, Jacee doesn't ever engage in discussion, she hurls angry insults and accusations with the occasional wikipedia reference thrown in for reassurance. There is no poster on this board who is as angry, as confident and so wrong as Jacee is. What's the saying "you can sometimes win an argument with someone smarter, but you can never win an argument with someone stupid".

I'm sure that you want to consider everyone who says "no", draws a line or recognizes boundries as a sociopath, but that's just not how it works. If you or Jacee hate Trump - fair enough, but it's really grasping to try and use every derogatory trait and paint him as that - it simply shows your amount of ignorance.

There is not one shred of evidence that Donald Trump is a sociopath, arrogant maybe, but not a sociopath.

If you dislike Jacee playing internet psychologist, then perhaps you should refrain from equally playing one by declaring Trump NOT a sociopath.

I don't claim to be a psychologist myself but fyi, some people who are trained in the field do consider him to be display anti-social behaviour:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stop-walking-eggshells/201511/therapists-confirm-trumps-narcissistic-personality-disorder

If you dislike Jacee playing internet psychologist, then perhaps you should refrain from equally playing one by declaring Trump NOT a sociopath.

I don't claim to be a psychologist myself but fyi, some people who are trained in the field do consider him to be display anti-social behaviour:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stop-walking-eggshells/201511/therapists-confirm-trumps-narcissistic-personality-disorder

She doesn't play internet psychologist, she just hurls out insults without even knowing what they mean.

Anyway, This article is about narcissism and the people writing the small blurbs have labelled Trump a narcissist - well, of course they will. Sure Trump has some narcissistic traits - Arrogance is a narcissistic trait, but don't all rich people, celebrities, politicians, rock stars, athletes etc etc. have an amount of narcissism in their personality?

Narcissism, however is not sociopathy. An argument can be made that Hillary exhibits way way more sociopathic traits than does Trump.

Here is a quick but easy guide to sociopaths and narcissists.

1. Sociopaths (Hillary) will deliver an insincere but convincing apology if it benefits their agenda, a narcissist (Trump) will not.

2. Sociopaths (Hillary) will appear more humble and less of a braggart. Narcissists (Trump) are more oblivious to how they appear to others and will often boast about their achievements ad nauseum.

3. Sociopaths (Hillary) upon meeting you, will try to pick your brain and ask you a lot of questions. Narcissists (Trump) will focus the conversation on themselves and their interests.

4. Sociopaths (Hillary) have no real personality. They are chameleons and will change their identity (interests, likes, beliefs) in order to manipulate others. Narcissists (Trump) are more concerned with always being perceived as the BEST.

5. Sociopaths are manipulative and calculating and will exploit others to their benefit and to further their agenda. Narcissists aren’t as calculating. They are self-centered and will step on others or throw others under the bus if they feel someone is hindering their agenda.

6. Sociopaths (Hillary) ignore social norms and boundaries not only out of a sense of entitlement, but to manipulate situations to further their interests. Narcissists (Trump) also feel a sense of entitlement, but will ignore rules and social norms more from a place of self-importance.

7. Sociopaths (Hillary) are more interested in winning and in being right at all costs. Narcissists (Trump) are more interested in feeling admired and special.

8. Sociopaths are more prone to boredom and more likely to be an adrenaline junkies. Narcissists may or may not need excess stimulation.

9. Sociopaths (Hillary) will set a trap months in advance if they perceive you are obstructing their plans, and patiently wait to take you down. Narcissists (Trump) are less calculating but will lie, intimidate or destroy you if they perceive you as hindering their plans.

10. Sociopaths (Hillary) will manipulate others so they can gain financially by doing as little work as possible with the least amount of effort. Narcissists (Trump) don’t mind putting in effort and working hard if it leads to admiration and accolades.

11. Sociopaths (Hillary) are more likely to abruptly abandon you if their cover is blown and their manipulation tactics are no longer effective. Narcissists (Trump) will have a pattern of overlapping relationships that end very poorly.

You see, Trump is a narcissist in almost every sense of the word but as I said, isn't almost every celebrity to an extent. What's really disturbing is that Hillary is the one who is actually a full blown sociopath.

I think HRC is going to be president and it irks me to end that the first woman to do so is this poor excuse of a role model. She's a stone-cold lying, self-serving and flip-flopping opportunist who acted has no shame lying in your face. You will have a hard time getting me to defend her.

Previous candidates McCain or Romney would've crushed her and I think both Rubio or Cruz would have a good shot at doing so. The whole Trump issue is so bizarre I still wonder if some of it is staged because he's friends with the Clintons and he's in cohoots with them.

The Republicans FEAR him because their jobs are now on the line. Trump is the best thing that could've happened to a shyster like Clinton.

Edited by BC_chick

I think HRC is going to be president and it irks me to end that the first woman to do so is this poor excuse of a role model. She's a stone-cold lying, self-serving and flip-flopping opportunist who acted has no shame lying in your face. You will have a hard time getting me to defend her.

Previous candidates McCain or Romney would've crushed her and I think both Rubio or Cruz would have a good shot at doing so. The whole Trump issue is so bizarre I still wonder if some of it is staged because he's friends with the Clintons and he's in cohoots with them.

The Republicans FEAR him because their jobs are now on the line. Trump is the best thing that could've happened to a shyster like Clinton.

The Repubs don't like him because although he's fiscally conservative, he's actually socially liberal. This does not sit well with the social conservatives of the party. I think that it's gonna be a good thing if he can drag the republicans a little more left. I should think that given some thought, many on the left will realize this.

He definitely got my attention when he blamed the West for turning the ME into the quagmire it is.

Edited by eyeball

Remember when Harper used to say the same thing?

Trump is more experienced than Harper, business-wise. He's also got a good handle on China.

Edited by betsy

Ya he is, I mean he's been playing the media so well. He's a brilliant self-promoter. But on the other hand, virtually all his policy proposals, including his foreign policy "speech", sound like he's just talking out of his arse with little to no research behind them other than following the headlines once in a while. Whatever policies he would choose if POTUS i think would either work out very well or be a complete disaster. He's not going to suddenly turn into a measured & thoughtful guy like Mitt Romney who puts tons of research and consideration into things. He's too impatient, arrogant, and self-assured for that.

Anti-Trump want to think him as impatient and impulsive .......he may be arrogant and self-assured (that can come with success)......

.........but, he can't be where he's at in business if he's not self-disciplined.

Edited by betsy

Oh nobody underestimates sociopaths. They can be clever ... in a con-man 'me-me-me' kind of way.

But being responsible for the wellbeing of others ... and the world?

No.

He's not that kind of smart.

I admit to a guilty wish to see POTUS Trump and VP Palin.

Now that's a tragicomedy for the history books!

And entertaining for sure ... for a Canadian. :-)

How do you know "he's not that kind of smart?" Why don't you enlighten us and explain where you got that.

If you created thousands of jobs that has put food on the table for thousands more, not to mention the benefit to the economy.........of course you're responsible for the well-being of others!

Some people have this silly naive notion that investors are not in it for the money. Only the very rich who'd reached the point of satiation to riches - if that's even possible, to be satiated and not succumb to greed - would throw away money without expecting something in return! What fool will invest millions and expect nothing worthwhile?

Even when you save money in the bank, you expect interest!

Trump may've become too rich now, and too successful that he wants to face a challenge other than the usual

business management. He wants to manage the USA.

I think that he is egotistical (if that's true)....will be to the benefit of the USA. Who knows, he might even be aiming to pave the way for his kids in politics. He's most likely to try his darndest to be the best President.

As for the entertainment.....I wonder if Canadians will still be entertained if Trump indeed has a long memory, and vindictive.

He was going to be nice to Jeb Bush, he said, but not anymore after he was shown a newsclip of Jeb's interview on tv where-in he said something not nice about Trump. He's said this only recently (I think it was the Costa Mesa rally).

I suspect he was planning to give Jeb a plum position.

Let's hope nobody shows him a news clip of our own PM weighing in on US politics. We need trade. A lot of trade.

Especially when we're getting so deep in the hole with all our spending, we need revenues!

Edited by betsy

Here is a quick but easy guide to sociopaths and narcissists.

1. Sociopaths (Hillary) will deliver an insincere but convincing apology if it benefits their agenda, a narcissist (Trump) will not.

You see, Trump is a narcissist in almost every sense of the word but as I said, isn't almost every celebrity to an extent. What's really disturbing is that Hillary is the one who is actually a full blown sociopath.

I don't disagree with any of that, though neither of us is qualified to 'diagnose' and I use the terms in a colloquial/common usage way, not professional.

The common feature, not explicitly stated, is that neither has a conscience/concern about the impact of their actions on others.

Interesting that the distinction made is in the calculated intent/premeditation of the sociopath, while the narcicisst is more impulsive/reactive.

We all have some of those characteristics but in extreme manifestations, both are extremely damaging and in world leaders ... perhaps a requirement to get the job, but not desirable qualities in the job.

That's the democratic conundrum.

Edited by jacee

Anti-Trump want to think him as impatient and impulsive .......he may be arrogant and self-assured (that can come with success)......

.........but, he can't be where he's at in business if he's not self-disciplined.

Trump is one of the most overrated business people in American history. Carl Icahn, Ray Dalio, James Simons, Len Blavatnik,etc are each worth many times as Trump, but how many people have heard of them? Trump inherited his wealth, 40 million in the 70's, from his dad, one of the wealthiest men in America at the time, along with his connections and banking credit:

Bloomberg News has estimated Trump's net worth at only $2.9 billion, while Forbes put it at $4.1 billion....Business Week estimated Trump’s net worth at $100 million in 1978. If Trump had merely put that money in an index fund based on the Standard & Poor's 500 index — the kind many Americans use to save for retirement — he would be worth $6 billion today. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/02/29/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-donald-trumps-business-empire/

So, Trump's business ventures have actually lost him money compared to if he just invested in typical retirement funds and sat around doing nothing.

It's funny the amount of scrutiny people pay to Trump's experience level and potential policies, when both Obama and Trudeau were voted in with little to no actual experience...in anything at all.

Trump is one of the most overrated business people in American history. Carl Icahn, Ray Dalio, James Simons, Len Blavatnik,etc are each worth many times as Trump, but how many people have heard of them? Trump inherited his wealth, 40 million in the 70's, from his dad, one of the wealthiest men in America at the time, along with his connections and banking credit:

So, Trump's business ventures have actually lost him money compared to if he just invested in typical retirement funds and sat around doing nothing.

Running a business should yield a much higher return than passive income like stocks and bonds. Generally 25% - 45% is considered a good return on equity given the higher risks as well as the commitment that is involved (salary compensation).

Even if we take him at his stated net worth of $10billion (which is highly disputed), his net worth grew by around 13% if he had $100 million in 1978.

He either spends way too much money, or he really is not that great at running a business.

It's funny the amount of scrutiny people pay to Trump's experience level and potential policies, when both Obama and Trudeau were voted in with little to no actual experience...in anything at all.

Neither Obama nor Trudeau were being hailed on their experience and expertise though.

Whether he's over-rated or not, is not the issue. He's still successful as a businessman, and he's created

thousands of jobs.

I'm saying......for all his alleged arrogance, conceit, and campaign bravado, he can't be in that top position (as a businessman), if he lacked self-discipline.

Edited by betsy