Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

CPC 2017: Bernier vs Alexander


Who will lead the federal Conservatives in June 2017?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

After tonight's federal Conservative debate, I reckon that it's a choice between Bernier and Alexander.

IMHO, O'Leary has no chance; he wasn't even on the podium. Lisa Raitt and Kellie Leitch made sense but they're not leaders. Chong is a Liberal/leftist.

=====

Aside from my opinion, who do you predict the federal Conservative party members (100 votes per riding) will choose as their leader in May 2017?

Edited by August1991
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He should be running for the liberals.

And proud of it. It would be terrible to be liked by racists, bigots, misogynists. The lower the score the better. 

I would go with O'Leary. Too many career politician idiots on the podium. Bernier is a dolt. He can't figure out how to use his  zipper is let alone a budget. I would vote for Bonnie Raitt not Li

Even if Kevin O'Leary spoke fluent French, he would be as unsuccessful as Péladeau as a politician: both, for different reasons, are not politicians.

O'Leary, Péladeau, Trump, Trudeau Snr/Jnr and Obama all have Big Egos. Well, Warren Beatty and Gérard Dépardieu also have Big Egos. So what? A big ego is no guarantee of success in political life.

As to women, Raitt and Leitch are no Margaret Thatcher or Golda Meir.

======

I reckon that it will become a choice between Alexander and Bernier. 

Edited by August1991
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, August1991 said:

After tonight's federal Conservative debate, I reckon that it's a choice between Bernier and Alexander.

IMHO, O'Leary has no chance; he wasn't even on the podium. Lisa Raitt and Kellie Leitch made sense but they're not leaders. Chong is a Liberal/leftist.

On the CBC panel yesterday evening they said that their contacts in the party said O'Leary would be the man to beat, that their internal polling showed him far out front of everyone else. I have zero interest in Alexander, who is just another politician trying to play to ethnic voters by promising a big rise in immigration numbers.

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PIK said:

It will be between O'leary and max. And please look south before you tell the world that O'leary has no chance of winning.

I don't want yet another Quebec leader. Why is it every party leader has to be a Quebecer?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Omni said:

May have something to do with it being a bilingual country with such a large swath of the population being Quebecois.

Why should accommodating 20% of the population mean that 100% of the leadership positions have to go to them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Argus said:

We have three major parties. If Bernier won all three would be run by Quebecers.

Quebec and Ontario make up we over half the population of the country and their activities/markets are closely engaged. People like a representative who cam speak (both) their languages.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PIK said:

It will be between O'leary and max. And please look south before you tell the world that O'leary has no chance of winning.

Nah, Trump hit on elements that had always existed in America.  The silent majority that made up Reagan's coalition, those frustrated by democrats trade policies that hurt the mid west (we seen it with Ross Perot garnering over 20% of the vote as a 3rd party candidate which is highly impressive), he hit on the racist coalition and the christian conservative coalition.  He basically unified these groups and made a coalition out of it, Clinton was weak with democratic voters, particularly the white progressives, white working class, her husband made nafta that destroyed themid west and expanded trade with china, and she had a terrible record with african americans that cost her michigan, wisconsin, pennsylvania and florida.  Even the huge latino turnout in miami dade, Florida was not enough to save her there.

Trudeau is not Clinton.  Trudeau is very progressive and wildly popular among progressives.  We also have different demographics.

O'leary has his own issues, he called conservatives losers, and we haven't seen a platform. 

3 hours ago, Argus said:

On the CBC panel yesterday evening they said that their contacts in the party said O'Leary would be the man to beat, that their internal polling showed him far out front of everyone else. I have zero interest in Alexander, who is just another politician trying to play to ethnic voters by promising a big rise in immigration numbers.

 

That is due to name recognition.  But when it comes time to organize real people to go to the convention and vote for you, BIG difference, can he get people energized to do that?  What are the policies he is going to offer them be?  If they go into the convention, and it is wide open, O'leary will have a huge uphill battle to overcome the establishment.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

I don't want yet another Quebec leader. Why is it every party leader has to be a Quebecer?

I agree, I don't get how such a small region by population manages to produce all the leaders. Trudeau, layton, mulclair, dion, paul martin, chritien, why are all the leaders coming from Quebec, Harper is the only recent exception.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

Why should accommodating 20% of the population mean that 100% of the leadership positions have to go to them?

Because it is a reverse apartheid, LOL.  Where our are leaders from Bc, Ontario, the maritimes, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bernier will win the CPC leadership, because he is a white guy from Quebec.

 

With one notable exception, that is a de facto requirement for being PM for a half century..

And no, Turner, Clark and Campbell were less than notable.

 

Nobody will or can beat Trudeau after he introduces ranked ballots as law this spring.  He'll be PM as long as he wants after that.  Move over Mackenzie King, there is a new chien in town.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Deepak Obhrais' constant  bleating to read the Hansord re "A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian and I said it first" is not winning him any conservative votes imo. Supporting people who have been convicted of terrorism is not a good policy platform.  Usually. 

Edited by drummindiver
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Argus said:

I don't want yet another Quebec leader. Why is it every party leader has to be a Quebecer?

Come on, this is bigotry against Quebecers. Shouldn't the best candidate get the job? Or do you want some quota for non-quebecers?

 

Bernier wants to abolish the idiotic system of supply management, where as the others (except for O'Leary), as far as I can tell, do not. To me, that says a lot about who is the best candidate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The only thing that could possibly stop O'Leary is him being seen as not conservative enough by the party's base.

There are too many groups in the conservative party that will likely back Bernier over O'Leary. Be it for him not being conservative enough (such as past comments on NATO, carbon taxes, bestiality, etc.) or because he isn't bilingual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Argus said:

I don't want yet another Quebec leader. Why is it every party leader has to be a Quebecer?

Indeed. All of our PM's these last few decades pretty much have all been from Quebec. Ever read the book "Bilingual Today, French Tomorrow" that was written over 40 years ago explaining how the french will take over Canada. Voila. It is just about here. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Come on, this is bigotry against Quebecers. Shouldn't the best candidate get the job? Or do you want some quota for non-quebecers?

 

Bernier wants to abolish the idiotic system of supply management, where as the others (except for O'Leary), as far as I can tell, do not. To me, that says a lot about who is the best candidate.

Truth be known there are no best candidates for the job from any party in Canada. They are all just about being politically correct, and that makes them all unworthy of running a country. I don't see a Trump in any of them. The closest to Trump may be O'Leary or Leitch. The rest are all just talk and they always keep repeating the same old bull. They offer nothing new and only want to keep feeding we the people with the same old politically correct multicultural garbage. They fiddle away while Canada burns. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, taxme said:

Indeed. All of our PM's these last few decades pretty much have all been from Quebec. Ever read the book "Bilingual Today, French Tomorrow" that was written over 40 years ago explaining how the french will take over Canada. Voila. It is just about here. :D

You really think so? I live in BC and I'll be damned if I can find a French speaker anywhere around here.

Maybe you just have a little argus style paranoia goin' on.

Edited by Omni
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, taxme said:

Truth be known there are no best candidates for the job from any party in Canada. They are all just about being politically correct, and that makes them all unworthy of running a country. I don't see a Trump in any of them. The closest to Trump may be O'Leary or Leitch. The rest are all just talk and they always keep repeating the same old bull. They offer nothing new and only want to keep feeding we the people with the same old politically correct multicultural garbage. They fiddle away while Canada burns. 

Leitch is probably as close to Trumpishness as you can get, you're right. But luckily I think even the conservative party is smart enough to discard her, and her "Canadian Values" BS. Otherwise JT probably wouldn't even have to come home from the Bahamas to win next time around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Omni said:

Leitch is probably as close to Trumpishness as you can get, you're right. But luckily I think even the conservative party is smart enough to discard her, and her "Canadian Values" BS. Otherwise JT probably wouldn't even have to come home from the Bahamas to win next time around.

Let's be honest here. The conservative party is not a real conservative party. It is a liberal party dressed in conservative clothing. Why? Because they all think and act and pretty much carry on with the same programs and agendas as does the other. Whether it will be JT or some new conservative party leader they will all adhere to political correctness and multiculturalism, and will keep flooding this country with the third world, and refugees. Canada means nothing to them. All they are interested and concerned in is money, power, and trying to keep up with the Aga Khans of the world. The conservative party is smart enough to know that in order to gain power one must speak political correctness and suck up to every minority in the country. So, don't worry about the conservative party if they ever did come to power. All Canadians will be doing when they foolishly vote is to replace one JT liberal party with another JT liberal party. In Canada it will always be the same old, same old because the majority of PC Canadians like it that way.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements




×
×
  • Create New...