Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
betsy

"Homegrown" Terrorists

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Goddess said:

That makes me sad for that little girl :(

I travel a lot - internationally and domestically.  About a year ago, a female agent took me aside for a pat down (I don't know why, maybe random)  I had pat downs before, but nothing like that day.....she spent an exhorbitant amount of time feeling around and in between my breasts, even felt around my crotch area.  I was wearing leggings, not much to hide there.

I looked over as she was doing it to see a line up of men closely watching her.  I was mortified by how intimate the search was.

I swore the next time they wanted to pat me down, I was going to ask it to be done in a private room, as is my right.

I've requested that 2 times since.

My daughter got chosen for random bomb screening at 11Yo in the US.  Yesterday all I heard was people saying "this was a doctor" or "this was a 5YO child what threat are they"?  While I agree, I also agree that we've had 15 years of old folks, professionals and children go through unnecessary body checks in airports without any protest - all in the name of fairness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

My daughter got chosen for random bomb screening at 11Yo in the US.  Yesterday all I heard was people saying "this was a doctor" or "this was a 5YO child what threat are they"?  While I agree, I also agree that we've had 15 years of old folks, professionals and children go through unnecessary body checks in airports without any protest - all in the name of fairness. 

 

The issue was more than just inconvenient pat-downs.  Some of the people detained were also returned to their assumed countries of origin.     How is a five-year-old born in the States to supposed to cope with that?   Or a tenured professor who's lived and worked in the States for several years?   

Obviously, the government has backed off on that, which is good - but would it have happened without the protests?   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

So, some people were detained at an airport.  I know it's an inconvenience, but we've seen inconveniences at airports for years now due to terrorism.  Where are the protests over things like this:

 

Oh common! Some of these people that are banned are professional green card holders, who have been in the US for decades...They are suddenly told they are not allowed in a country they have lived! This is a tad more than inconvenience....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing special about resident aliens who travel to and from nations that are failed states or may associate with those linked to terrorist organizations.   Inspections of citizens and resident aliens alike are necessary to pass court challenges for the constitutionality of airport screenings.   And yes, that includes children or "professional" green card holders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home grown is a funny thing. I wonder if the muslims immigrant kids that are born here, have to deal with parents wanting them to stick to ''their '' rules and that is what causing the problem. Living in canada or america, and not being able to be canadian/american kid,but have to adhere to the old country /nutty religion rules?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PIK said:

Home grown is a funny thing. I wonder if the muslims immigrant kids that are born here, have to deal with parents wanting them to stick to ''their '' rules and that is what causing the problem. Living in canada or america, and not being able to be canadian/american kid,but have to adhere to the old country /nutty religion rules?

I've wondered the same thing - so many rules that limit how well they can integrate.

How does it affect a child to see everyone else outside enjoying the sun on their face, the wind in their hair, eating over at their friend's house for dinner, swimming lessons with their class, playing with the neighborhood children or schoolmates and you are excluded from all of it?

You either get angry at the ones who are enjoying it all, or you get angry at all the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vast majority of kids who are raised in non-mainstream religions do not grow up to be violent extremists in twisted 'support' of their religion.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kactus said:

Oh common! Some of these people that are banned are professional green card holders, who have been in the US for decades...They are suddenly told they are not allowed in a country they have lived! This is a tad more than inconvenience....

Some, yeah of course.  I don't disagree that this all happened before proper guidelines could be established, and I don't like that it happened while people were in transit.  However, it is one of those things that will require some fine tuning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Some, yeah of course.  I don't disagree that this all happened before proper guidelines could be established, and I don't like that it happened while people were in transit.  However, it is one of those things that will require some fine tuning.  

What is actually lacking is a cohesive and comprehensible planning...Discrimnating against a whole country is against the constitution's first amendment...It shows lack of clarity and competency.

Edited by kactus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Some, yeah of course.  I don't disagree that this all happened before proper guidelines could be established, and I don't like that it happened while people were in transit.  However, it is one of those things that will require some fine tuning.  

 

On 30/01/2017 at 6:56 PM, Hal 9000 said:

My daughter got chosen for random bomb screening at 11Yo in the US.  Yesterday all I heard was people saying "this was a doctor" or "this was a 5YO child what threat are they"?  While I agree, I also agree that we've had 15 years of old folks, professionals and children go through unnecessary body checks in airports without any protest - all in the name of fairness. 

Talk about lunacy...

 

Now you tell me what risk does a 5 year old boy of american cititizen pose on national security!?!?!? This s just wrong....

https://theintellectualist.co/white-house-defends-handcuffing-of-5-year-old-american-citizen-he-could-have-posed-a-security-threat/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kactus said:

 

Talk about lunacy...

 

Now you tell me what risk does a 5 year old boy of american cititizen pose on national security!?!?!? This s just wrong....

https://theintellectualist.co/white-house-defends-handcuffing-of-5-year-old-american-citizen-he-could-have-posed-a-security-threat/

None!  But, what threat is an 11YO Canadian girl?  When they make the rules, in order to look fair, they treat everybody the same.  The old lady in a wheel chair and the small Canadian girl get the same attention as the muslim praying to Allah before he boards an airplane.  Why was this boy handcuffed?  For the same reason - they have done away with common sense.  Not just last week, it has been this way for 15 years.  Why is this outrage coming out now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

None!  But, what threat is an 11YO Canadian girl?  When they make the rules, in order to look fair, they treat everybody the same.  The old lady in a wheel chair and the small Canadian girl get the same attention as the muslim praying to Allah before he boards an airplane.  Why was this boy handcuffed?  For the same reason - they have done away with common sense.  Not just last week, it has been this way for 15 years.  Why is this outrage coming out now?

They all pose no danger.

Why shouldn't this outrage come out now? I am not sure I understand your question correctly.  Why shouldn't be an outrage when the current executive order which is selective applies to all the citizens of certain countries discriminately? 

You ask me why is the boy handcuffed? Good question! I don't know the answer. Ask those who set these rules...

Edited by kactus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2017 at 4:14 PM, dialamah said:

The vast majority of kids who are raised in non-mainstream religions do not grow up to be violent extremists in twisted 'support' of their religion.   

 

Depends on the doctrine of their religion.    It's all about what's in the doctrine.

Some nutcases might....all religions have their share of nutcases.

Edited by betsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, betsy said:

Depends on the doctrine of their religion.    It's all about what's in the doctrine.

As if it were in their DNA you mean?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2017 at 3:41 PM, kactus said:

Now you tell me what risk does a 5 year old boy of american cititizen pose on national security!?!?!? This s just wrong....

https://theintellectualist.co/white-house-defends-handcuffing-of-5-year-old-american-citizen-he-could-have-posed-a-security-threat/

 

The problem is, ISIS has released footage of kids as young as 4 being trained to be assassins. These little kids are actually  shooting and beheading real people.  I'm not going to post it here, it's really graphic. 

If they think they have a reason for extra caution for the parents, then they have legitimate reason for extra caution with the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bryan said:

 

The problem is, ISIS has released footage of kids as young as 4 being trained to be assassins. These little kids are actually  shooting and beheading real people.  I'm not going to post it here, it's really graphic. 

If they think they have a reason for extra caution for the parents, then they have legitimate reason for extra caution with the kids.

Whilst I have no sympathy for ISIS and the likes, there are several issues regarding this case:

1- The 5 year old boy is an american citizen of Iranian origin.

2- No iranian national has committed any terrorist activity in amercian soil let alone beheading...

3- Whilst this comparison to ISIS is a little far fetched surely the screening process with sophisticated technology can tell the immigration officer the difference between a terrorist and an ordinary citizen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kactus said:

....2- No iranian national has committed any terrorist activity in amercian soil let alone beheading...
 

 

Iranian nationals have sponsored and directed terrorist activity on "american soil" and other U.S. sovereign locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Iranian nationals have sponsored and directed terrorist activity on "american soil" and other U.S. sovereign locations.

You can turn and twist it all you want. No Iranian national has committed terrorist activity inside US soil...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kactus said:

You can turn and twist it all you want. No Iranian national has committed terrorist activity inside US soil...

 

I disagree....Iranians have conspired for murder/terrorism on U.S. soil and embassies, either directly, or by proxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

I disagree....Iranians have conspired for murder/terrorism on U.S. soil and embassies, either directly, or by proxy.

Perfect....We agree to disagree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...