Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Who's seen Get Out?


Recommended Posts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/

Quote

A young African-American man visits his Caucasian girlfriend's mysterious family estate.

A Comedy, a Horror and Social Commentary. 

Jordan Peele's (of Key and Peele fame) first movie is all the talk of the Interwebs. 

On the surface, it's a mildly amusing film that's filled with a lot of suspenseful moments. But the reason it's become so popular because of the racial elements that are imbedded in the movie. The movie is clearly a slavery analogy as well how White Liberals can be as racist as anyone. It's one of those movies that certainly make you think. 

Any thoughts. I'd like to get into spoiler territory at some point but I'll steer clear for now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have.

 

I thought it was very entertaining and did not get too wound up about the racial elements, slavery, White Liberalism or any other purported analogies.  The theater was packed, though admittedly mostly with white people and some may have been Liberals/liberals.  I did not read any major significance into any of it.  It certainly was not slave porn like 12 Years a Slave.  If I had run into a black person after the movie, I would have had no diffculty making eye contact.

It was like Shaun of the Dead, but with a diffident black guy instead of a ginger muppet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2017 at 11:35 AM, dialamah said:

I will have to check this movie out.  Don't usually go for horrors, so hadn't really considered it at all.

It is not really a horror flick.  Suspenseful and funny.....and the premise is woefully short of science, but... not an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Boges said:

he reason it's become so popular because of the racial elements that are imbedded in the movie. 

Nah.  White Canadians are not flocking to the movie because of the racial elements.  This is no epic/classic  'Schindlers List' where people lined up to be made uncomfortable about their ethnicity or race.  They (the white horde) go because the movie is first and foremost entertaining.

 

Your reviewer on IMDB must have his flicks mixed up, the current movie with lots of racial elements, and a movie that makes Whitey uncomfortable is Moonlight.  Guess which one is going to make a lot more money?  Hint: not the Oscar winner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, overthere said:

and a movie that makes Whitey uncomfortable is Moonlight.  

I saw Moonlight, and wasn't at all uncomfortable even though I'm a whitey, so now I'm curious why you think it would?  

Edited by dialamah
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, overthere said:

Nah.  White Canadians are not flocking to the movie because of the racial elements.  This is no epic/classic  'Schindlers List' where people lined up to be made uncomfortable about their ethnicity or race.  They (the white horde) go because the movie is first and foremost entertaining.

 

Your reviewer on IMDB must have his flicks mixed up, the current movie with lots of racial elements, and a movie that makes Whitey uncomfortable is Moonlight.  Guess which one is going to make a lot more money?  Hint: not the Oscar winner.

Part of the reason Moonlight didn't make any money is because it wasn't in any theatres. Same could be said for Manchester by the Sea. 

Many people know of Key and Peele so that also has some cache. But the reason this movie is popular isn't because some pre-release hype, it's because of word-of-mouth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Boges said:

Part of the reason Moonlight didn't make any money is because it wasn't in any theatres. Same could be said for Manchester by the Sea. 

Many people know of Key and Peele so that also has some cache. But the reason this movie is popular isn't because some pre-release hype, it's because of word-of-mouth. 

The reality is that  low budget flicks with unknown casts(like both movies) all open in minimal theaters, distributors are driven by profit.  Moonlight got some traction from being an Oscar winner, but the subject is harsh and profoundly sad for the most part.  Fact: it is the exception for most people to go to a movie that makes them uncomfortable.  Get Out does not make people uncomfortable, it is far more entertaining which is why it is doing so well.  Most people don't want to pay $50/couple plus a babysitter to be lectured or  instructed, they want a fun night out.

 

I recall going to a mostly empty  arthouse theater to watch a quirky, funny movie with an unknown cast.  We went and saw it again a couple weeks later to a packed house in the same small arthouse thater.  2 months after that it was on hundreds of screens.  Napoleon Dynamite.  If Moonlight was more to the taste of the average moviegoer, it too would be doing gangbusters- like Get Out is doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, overthere said:

and you did not answer the question either.  3 for 3.

Seems to me that you were the one made uncomfortable by the movie.  

Yes there are poor and disadvantaged people in the world and I think we could do more to help them.   But that doesn't mean I spend my life being made uncomfortable if they are depicted onscreen.   If you do that is your problem to deal with, and not by projecting it on to others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Tell a friend

    Love Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...