Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

The Canadian Football League.


Recommended Posts

Is it time for the CFL to introduce a new set of downs, so to speak. I would like to see the CFL change from it's current set of three downs and go to four downs as it is done in the NFL? Watching the NFL play with four downs makes the game a lot more interesting, and gives an NFL team an extra down to try and get a touch down. It seems like in the CFL by the time a team gets a turn to play it's downs with the football it is quickly over and they have to give the ball back to the other team unless that team can keep getting first downs. And it would make sense to have four downs because in Canadian football our fields are 10 yards longer. There is just to much punting going on in the CFL.

Any comments on this idea of having four downs in the CFL? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the 3 downs, even though our field is 10 yards longer.  Our game is more of a "running" game, than a "passing" game for this reason.  And that, to me, makes for a much more exciting football game.

Love the CFL! 

 

GO, RIDERS!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a different game and like the Canadian game better. When you include the end zones the field is actually 30 yards longer and ten yards wider. With fewer downs, no fair catch and single points the kicking game is also more important. A 14 point lead with a minute to go isn't safe in the CFL. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't have 4 downs with the size of that field. 

3 Downs "sorta" works because the field is so large you can run laterally for much longer, the end zones are twice as large and the Defence has to line up a yard off the ball. 

With an extra down, you'd never have defensive stands. 

Edited by Boges
Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the NFL to be much slower in pace than the CFL.  Lots of grinding defensive battles, which is boring.

 

In the CFL three downs forces teams to open up and take chances.  The players aren't as good as the NFL, and the gambling plus mistakes make for some wild times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, overthere said:

I find the NFL to be much slower in pace than the CFL.  Lots of grinding defensive battles, which is boring.

 

In the CFL three downs forces teams to open up and take chances.  The players aren't as good as the NFL, and the gambling plus mistakes make for some wild times.

Yeah because the defences in the CFL are largely bad. 

The NFL is far more strategic. It's like severals games of rock, paper, scissors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that is what I said. The players aren't as good.  But without a doubt the three downs forces teams to gamble, which is far  less common in the NFL.

 

The NFL is far more plodding.  And man oh man does it take itself seriously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 14/07/2017 at 10:32 AM, Boges said:

Yeah because the defences in the CFL are largely bad. 

The NFL is far more strategic. It's like severals games of rock, paper, scissors. 

The defense in CFL is at a disadvantage compared to NFL. The Canadian fieldis about 50% bigger than the American field- 9810 sq.yds. versus 6360 sq.yds. That's a huge amount of ground and it gives a big advantage to the offense. That's why CFL games are higher-scoring than NFL despite the fewer downs.

George Hallas, one of the founders of the NHL, said the Canadians had a better game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Grand Mal said:

The defense in CFL is at a disadvantage compared to NFL. The Canadian fieldis about 50% bigger than the American field- 9810 sq.yds. versus 6360 sq.yds. That's a huge amount of ground and it gives a big advantage to the offense. That's why CFL games are higher-scoring than NFL despite the fewer downs.

George Hallas, one of the founders of the NHL, said the Canadians had a better game.

But they only have 2 to 3 plays to prevent the Offence from getting 10 yards instead of 3 or 4. 

In the news this week, the CFL is thinking of moving to a Universal football. The CFL ball is bigger, they want to make it the same as the NFL/NCAA ball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements



  • Tell a friend

    Love Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...