Political Discussion Forums

Classics in Literature (Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance...old stuff, iow)

I had posted a thread on the Tale of Genji asking if anyone else had read the thing.  I should have started this thread, on classical literature, instead since it will probably garner more discussion.

Genji is long and boring but has its fascinations.  But there are others I've enjoyed, some I have not yet finished.

The Prince, The Arabian Nights, Livy's History of Rome, Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars, The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer,

Anyone into old/classical literature like that?

11 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

I had posted a thread on the Tale of Genji asking if anyone else had read the thing.  I should have started this thread, on classical literature, instead since it will probably garner more discussion.

Genji is long and boring but has its fascinations.  But there are others I've enjoyed, some I have not yet finished.

The Prince, The Arabian Nights, Livy's History of Rome, Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars, The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer,

Anyone into old/classical literature like that?

I've read all those. 

I have a rather old copy of Canterbury Tales in Old English.

I have a copy of Canterbury Tales in Middle English.  It's actually a recent publication by Penguin (paperback).  Real huge like a thousand pages I think. 

Old English by the way is Anglo-Saxon that sounds incomprehensible.  Not to be a smartass but Chaucer is in Middle English.  Interestingly enough,Shakespeare is considered, believe it or not, Modern English.

When I was in high school--and this was a public high school, not a private school--in Maryland, I took a course on British Literature.  We had to memorize the first part of the Prologue...in the original Middle English.  All the way from Wan that Aprill with his shores sote....to and at a knight than wal I first beginne.  Needless to say I botched that one, but I nailed all the other stuff we had to memorize.

You said "all of those"...including Genji? Did you read the unabridged version?