Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
betsy

The Terminator Comes To Life

How many remember the drones and killer robots from The Terminator?   James Cameron's vision comes true.

We've got drones now.  And we heavily rely on computers.  People are getting replaced by them.    Coming up:  killer robots

Killer robots: Experts warn of 'third revolution in warfare'

More than 100 leading robotics experts are urging the United Nations to take action in order to prevent the development of "killer robots".

There is an urgent tone to the message from the technology leaders, who warn that "we do not have long to act".

A killer robot is a fully autonomous weapon that can select and engage targets without human intervention. They do not currently exist but advances in technology are bringing them closer to reality.

Those in favour of killer robots believe the current laws of war may be sufficient to address any problems that might emerge if they are ever deployed, arguing that a moratorium, not an outright ban, should be called if this is not the case.

However, those who oppose their use believe they are a threat to humanity and any autonomous "kill functions" should be banned.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40995835

I've been warning about this a lot longer than the likes of Musk or Hawking.  You will need to take the military and the contractors up to task to push back on this notion. But we are already going forward with it, and I doubt there is anything that is going to stop it.

11 hours ago, GostHacked said:

I've been warning about this a lot longer than the likes of Musk or Hawking.  You will need to take the military and the contractors up to task to push back on this notion. But we are already going forward with it, and I doubt there is anything that is going to stop it.

You can't stop technology.  A killer robot will be is far, far easier to produce than a nuclear weapon, and we haven't been able to stop countries developing those.

Our best hope is for us and our allies to remain at the leading edge of technology as we've always been in order to create defensive counter-measures to stop them when bad people get a hold of them, and for us to use deploy them in ethical ways.

So far we've used drones in illegal ways in acts of war against other sovereign nations, so I'm not hopeful about the last point.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Any bets that Google has a significant hand in building the first one that "accidentally goes rogue"?  Not into conspiracy theories (because I just can't help but ignore the science...), but with the amount of data that Google (Skynet) collects and their research into AI, I think it's only a matter of time before we end up with "War Games" of some type.  Now put that kind of tech into something that is mobile and able to think for itself.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarGames

16 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You can't stop technology.  A killer robot will be is far, far easier to produce than a nuclear weapon, and we haven't been able to stop countries developing those.

Our best hope is for us and our allies to remain at the leading edge of technology as we've always been in order to create defensive counter-measures to stop them when bad people get a hold of them, and for us to use deploy them in ethical ways.

So far we've used drones in illegal ways in acts of war against other sovereign nations, so I'm not hopeful about the last point.

You are not wrong, that's for sure.

24 minutes ago, Hydraboss said:

Any bets that Google has a significant hand in building the first one that "accidentally goes rogue"?  Not into conspiracy theories (because I just can't help but ignore the science...), but with the amount of data that Google (Skynet) collects and their research into AI, I think it's only a matter of time before we end up with "War Games" of some type.  Now put that kind of tech into something that is mobile and able to think for itself.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarGames

The one thing they have (Google and Facebook)  is one of those first D-Wave quantum computers. With that alone and having the possibility of hosting a true AI and with what Google/Facebook has already archived and indexed and what they have access to..  creates a very scare scenario as if it is not scary already.

Also does not need to be mobile. With the connectivity Google has, it can be semi-decentralized. And because computer tech and connectivity is ubiquitous these days, it is already 'mobile'.  It will work as a hive mind essentially.

Edited by GostHacked