Political Discussion Forums
Argus

Surveillance technology

I never type anything...anything into a computer that I don't want to see on the front page of the Globe and Mail. That is my privacy setting. 

That being said, some years ago, Danny Finkelman  noted that people desire security over privacy. The legal system in red China is harsh, but efficient. You are accused of a crime, you appear before a judge and then they take you outside and blow your brains out. I wonder what the deterrent effect is?

On 3/31/2018 at 12:36 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

I never type anything...anything into a computer that I don't want to see on the front page of the Globe and Mail. That is my privacy setting. 

That being said, some years ago, Danny Finkelman  noted that people desire security over privacy. The legal system in red China is harsh, but efficient. You are accused of a crime, you appear before a judge and then they take you outside and blow your brains out. I wonder what the deterrent effect is?

If you use any kind of wifi technology in your home and where your devices have mics, you won't need to type anything on the Internet in order to be under surveillance.

Siri, Cortana, Google and Alexa ....These devices are listening all the time.

https://techcrunch.com/2015/09/11/apple-addresses-privacy-questions-about-hey-siri-and-live-photo-features/

Then ....

https://globalnews.ca/news/3330143/how-to-stop-gadgets-from-spying/

This is why I say that most people are ignorant to how the tech is being used. Most think it is restricted to just what you type which is not the case.

Now consider this scenario. Even if you do not have the Internet or any listening devices and such, your friends do and they use them all the time. How do you avoid that when in most cases you have no idea if some device is listening.

My point is that I always presume someone is listening. I used the computer as an example. I don't have a cell phone, not because I am paranoid, but because I don't need one, so Siri and her friends are not my concern. 

If I've learned anything from watching 30 years of Coronation Street:

a) Nobody can keep a secret

b.) If someone says "You have to tell him," don't tell him.

Edited by Queenmandy85