Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
August1991

The Windsors (3 lines)

Recommended Posts

I was thinking of dropping Netflix because it was so leftist American/predictable/politically correct - and then I discovered The Windsors (Channel 4 - available now in Canada on Netflix.)

I admire most the Prince Charles actor (Harry Enfield) because he in fact speaks that way. His make-up person too.

Justin Trudeau and an Australian PM and Trump have roles. Nailed, from the British left perspective.

 

 

 

Edited by August1991

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Netflix offers a slate of content that is generally as broad as the usual Hollywood fare.  I don't know how you can characterize the entire service in any way, let alone as being different from any other service or channel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Netflix offers a slate of content that is generally as broad as the usual Hollywood fare.  I don't know how you can characterize the entire service in any way, let alone as being different from any other service or channel.  

Michael, I disagree. Netflix has an "agenda".

As do typical American "leftists/progressives" such as Spielberg, Hanks, Streep - it's now obvious.

======

I'm tired of this "progressive" crap.

I prefer "art".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Michael, I disagree. Netflix has an "agenda".

As do typical American "leftists/progressives" such as Spielberg, Hanks, Streep - it's now obvious.

Is it different from the agenda for HBO, CBS, Fox, Hulu ?  Why would it be ?

I think their agenda is to make money.  The values they project are those of the people who make entertainment.  So yes they have an agenda, and values.  If you don't want to be witness to a film or tv-maker's values then don't watch.... anything.

 

12 minutes ago, August1991 said:

 

I'm tired of this "progressive" crap.

I prefer "art".

False choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, August1991 said:

Michael, I disagree. Netflix has an "agenda".

As do typical American "leftists/progressives" such as Spielberg, Hanks, Streep - it's now obvious.

Yes, everything is a grand leftist conspiracy. You might want to skip brushing you teeth in the morning, you never know what they put in that toothpaste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Yes, everything is a grand leftist conspiracy. You might want to skip brushing you teeth in the morning, you never know what they put in that toothpaste.

Aaron Sorkin has an agenda. Spielberg too. Even Hanks.

(I once believed that Tom Hanks was a modern-day Jimmy Stewart until I learned that Jimmy Stewart flew about 25 combat missions over Germany; killing God knows how many Germans.)

Hanks?

Skip to the 5:00 point:

Tom Hanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, August1991 said:

I was thinking of dropping Netflix because it was so leftist American/predictable/politically correct

 

Netflix is American by definition....Google is American too...and leftist ?   ("Canadian Netflix" really isn't Canadian at all.)

Maybe try Baidu/iQiyi from China for a different experience.

Netflix is adding more Chinese content, so it will be even more "leftist".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Netflix is American by definition....

b_c, I have no objection - in general - to "American". I like jazz. Years ago, I recall sitting beside a German tourist who was flying into JFK for the first time, and I gave her an mp3 of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, trying to explain in French/German what it meant.

I object to the "progressive/leftist American". IME, it's a pose - a signal to fellow Americans, no more.

Edited by August1991

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Maybe try Baidu/iQiyi from China for a different experience.

As they say, "Don't wish too much for something because you may just get it."

=====

A Buddhist/Confucius world is a world without Mozart - without desire.  It is a world without Newton - without query of elders. It is a world without Leonardo da Vinci - without change in perspective.

A Buddhist/Confucius world is a world of imitation; one copies from the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, August1991 said:

I object to the "progressive/leftist American". IME, it's a pose - a signal to fellow Americans, no more.

 

Perhaps, but it is still part of a complete, proper American experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, August1991 said:

A Buddhist/Confucius world is a world without Mozart - without desire.  It is a world without Newton - without query of elders. It is a world without Leonardo da Vinci - without change in perspective.

A Buddhist/Confucius world is a world of imitation; one copies from the past. 

 

True, but that is part of the appeal.   I have sampled the Chinese content presently offered on Netflix and found it to be appealingly different, but with many of the same "human condition" themes found in western fare.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Windsors" seems to continue the current trend and franchising of the British monarchy theme, even as a parody.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, August1991 said:

1. Aaron Sorkin has an agenda. Spielberg too. Even Hanks.

2. (I once believed that Tom Hanks was a modern-day Jimmy Stewart until I learned that Jimmy Stewart flew about 25 combat missions over Germany; killing God knows how many Germans.)

1. And Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, David Lynch.   As for the others, you are talking about multimillionaire Americans who own and work with major corporations.  Any 'leftism' they bear is social-liberalism at best.  Hardly a threat to capitalism in any sense.

2. Ok.  So until you read that you thought that Tom Hanks was a WW2 veteran ?  Bizarre.

 

8 hours ago, August1991 said:

I object to the "progressive/leftist American". IME, it's a pose - a signal to fellow Americans, no more.

3.  If you watch Hollywood, you WILL be spoonfed.  Whether it's "be kind to poor people" "be kind to your neighbour" "be patriotic".  So what do you object to - the signalling or the content of the signal ?  When I sit down to watch a Tom Hanks vehicle, I am not expecting trenchant observations about existence.  At your stage in life I am surprised you wouldn't know what to expect.  Spielberg is not making art, he's making craft - cultural furniture to reassure watchers, not challenge them.  Did you not know that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

"On March 22, 1944, Stewart flew his 12th combat mission, leading the 2nd Bomb Wing in an attack on Berlin."

12th combat mission? I know someone (Canadian) of someone who didn't survive his 1st combat mission over St-Nazaire in August 1944. 

Tom Hanks never did that to anyone.

Edited by August1991

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, August1991 said:

 

"On March 22, 1944, Stewart flew his 12th combat mission, leading the 2nd Bomb Wing in an attack on Berlin."

12th combat mission? I know someone (Canadian) of someone who didn't survive his 1st combat mission over St-Nazaire in August 1944. 

Tom Hanks never did that to anyone.

Stewart was actually a GENERAL in the air force.  A much-loved patriot, artist and Republican.  Auguste, this man stood at the focal point of a broad national identify .  Such is the unifying force of having a 'common enemy'.  That nation was never so united as after such conflicts. 

The tribal psyche almost seems to implode without the common enemy, don't you agree ?

Edited by Michael Hardner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 7:04 AM, Michael Hardner said:

The tribal psyche almost seems to implode without the common enemy, don't you agree ?

Tribal psyche?

Hardner - you're wrong. All wrong.

=====

Montreal is a neat place ; une ville formidable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2018 at 5:22 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

I thought The Crown was excellent. You don't see the Fifties and Suez portrayed too often. 

The Crown? This thread is about "The Windsors".

Fifties? This thread is about a TV series about an old woman and her family; but we never see her. Her husband (we never see him either) sends letters.

Is this woman real?  I suspect that the TV writers chose to exclude her from the script since she may die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-03-03 at 5:56 AM, August1991 said:

The Crown? This thread is about "The Windsors".

Fifties? This thread is about a TV series about an old woman and her family; but we never see her. Her husband (we never see him either) sends letters.

Is this woman real?  I suspect that the TV writers chose to exclude her from the script since she may die.

Just replying to a post which asked about that series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2018 at 10:45 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

Just replying to a post which asked about that series. 

Fair enough. You were asking about "The Crown" in a thread about "The Windsors".

Your error is understandable; but Spanky, check out your error....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-03-08 at 1:13 AM, August1991 said:

Fair enough. You were asking about "The Crown" in a thread about "The Windsors".

Your error is understandable; but Spanky, check out your error....

Another poster asked about The Crown and I replied. I did not make any error. Usually, my enthusiasm for any information about these people or any parody of them is limited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 10:09 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

Another poster asked about The Crown and I replied. I did not make any error. Usually, my enthusiasm for any information about these people or any parody of them is limited. 

Looking backing through this thread, it appears that I hijacked it. Sorry.

======

IMHO, The Windsors (TV show) is simply a good, well-played satire about the British royal family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real thing is even more interesting, as in the courtship and purposeful manipulation of Elizabeth for marriage beginning at only 13 years of age.   Greece's Prince Philip maneuvered into position with help from his uncle Louis Mountbatten, and a battle ensued to keep the House of Tudor name.

 

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×