Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Michael Hardner

Moderation Question - Is cutting/pasting from other sites now ok ?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

  Since I haven't been a mod I am reading far fewer posts and seem to have lost the sense, as it took me a long time to realize I was responding to a bot.

 

 

See what I mean?  You responded to it.

Had you not made a search about it - the OP had started what could've turned out to be a discussion between you and others. 

That's my point: any topics might generate some discussions.  That topic did - you were its first customer. You responded to it!

 

Don't be petty.

Edited by betsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moderation in moderation

---

Betsy, nice to see you still kicking around although I miss you from your usual haunts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

Moderation in moderation

---

Betsy, nice to see you still kicking around although I miss you from your usual haunts.

I've been doing the usual haunts in other forums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Since I haven't been a mod I am reading far fewer posts and seem to have lost the sense

Your posts are creating trouble for you lately which demonstrates the fact that moderation is one thing, while posting is another. We posters have had to learn how to live with the rules, and accept the decision of the moderator whether we agree or not. And now that you are on "the other side" it seems you must do likewise.

I understand your frustration with the "shit-trolls" here at MLW as you once called us, but you need to realize that beating people over the head is not going to improve that. All forums have these problems, even your recent most sacred refuge, the "other site". The moderator there has had to do some of the same things as our moderator has to do, warn users and shut down threads. Question is, can you and the others who left this site in search of shangri-la draw any conclusion from this? The problem lies not in the name of the site, or its moderator.

You asked for a suggestion- As a forum member who has been given warning points by you I can make one that is foundational to your success as a poster here: Report, Ignore, and Move on.

Signed respectfully,
A Shit-Troll.

 

Edited by OftenWrong
added signature
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2018 at 10:48 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Your "Please do not feed what you want censored" is a subtle dig at me wanting censorship. 

Censorship is what moderators do.  All observable moderator actions are each acts of censorship regardless of reason or desire. 

The only moderator actions that are not acts of censorship are doing nothing and perhaps issuing warnings.  If we want to be pedantic, issuing warnings are subtle acts of censorship too. 

 

 

On 1/7/2018 at 10:08 PM, jbg said:

I do not understand the rule or the verbiage above. I do understand that the rule, as applied, has caused me to be suspended a few times. Which is why you don't see me here that often.

1st time offenses get a warning that usually contain the word "please" somewhere.  (We may even say "sorry" if you bump into us.)

2nd time offenses get a warning that do not contain the word "please" anywhere.  

3rd time offenses get censorship = post taken down or post edited or posting privileges suspended or permanent banning. 

1 + 2 + 3 = ? 

 

SHORTER VERSION:

On 1/10/2018 at 8:20 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Even if a member is docked for cross-posting, the penalty is not death (banishment from the forum).

Yup.  That pretty much sums it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2018 at 9:44 AM, Charles Anthony said:

No.  Cross-posting is against the forum rules and guidelines.

Is there a way to know if your cross-posting report has been accepted or not ?

 

I report cross-posts, which means that I am not supposed to post on the thread.  But if the report is rejected, how am I to know that I can now post on this 'legal' thread again ?

 

It's a conundrum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 10:23 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Is there a way to know if your cross-posting report has been accepted or not ?

I will make a point of sending you a response to all of your reports. 

 

Quote

I report cross-posts, which means that I am not supposed to post on the thread. 

No.  You are not supposed to post your report in the thread. 

If you think the topic is worthy of discussion, feel free to respond. 

 

 

Quote

But if the report is rejected, how am I to know that I can now post on this 'legal' thread again ?

It's a conundrum. 

What is the worst that can happen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

 What is the worst that can happen? 

I'm confused but I will await your notices.  That will help me understand if I am supposed to post or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I'm confused but I will await your notices.  That will help me understand if I am supposed to post or not.

:rolleyes:  Awaiting those notices with bated breath too, by the sound of it. :D

 

If you find the topic so interesting that you feel like you want to respond..........why bother reporting it? 

I mean, look at you.  You reported....and yet you're gnawing at the bit to know whether you can now respond, or not.  Oh boy!      Your reaction to it is just so.........weird.

 

Surely, just like you, others might find it interesting too.

   I suggest to just leave it be, and respond to the post to your heart's content.   What's so bad about a cross-post anyway?  It's true what Charles asked.  What's the worst that can happen?   It's not like as if you'll be struck down by lightning if you make the mistake of responding.....just go ahead and enjoy the topic.   If this is an example how you go about , it seems you're making your life too absurdly complicated.   You're making such a ruckus out of something so trivial.   For nothing.

 

Why be a party-pooper...........even to your own enjoyment?   Really, Michael.......

Edited by betsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are people who spend their time Googling others' posts for similar posts on other forums. I am no longer a regular here for that reason. I must totally rewrite a subject to have it pass  muster. Do I have to rewrite my opinion posts on Donald Trump or Justin Trudeau?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jbg said:

There are people who spend their time Googling others' posts for similar posts on other forums. I am no longer a regular here for that reason. I must totally rewrite a subject to have it pass  muster. Do I have to rewrite my opinion posts on Donald Trump or Justin Trudeau?

You are probably too old to know what a spambot is.  They post the same article over and over again all over the web and low-intellect types LIKE their posts and engage with them.  I saw an old lady talking to a lamppost the other day.  The lamppost is the spam poster that so many here love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

You are probably too old to know what a spambot is.  They post the same article over and over again all over the web and low-intellect types LIKE their posts and engage with them.  I saw an old lady talking to a lamppost the other day.  The lamppost is the spam poster that so many here love.

Here's a great example. I posted the Pepperoni Pizza and Seagulls mixup on a few places because it's funny. http://thepoliticsforums.com/threads/101930-Pepperoni-Pizza-and-Seagulls-Don-t-Mix-  and 

On this version, the line, " When Nick Burchill left a suitcase full of pepperoni by an open window, the room filled with seagulls." The last line was inadvertently, on the other forum, not part of the hyperlink title of the article. I added The seagulls of course did what seagulls do. The results will amaze. " So I had to rewrite the rest of the post so as not to violate.

On "thepoliticsforum dot com" I wrote " Personally I believe in the right of free defecation " Here I wrote " A bit off my usual posting tack. But serious animal rights question; do seagulls have the right to freedom of defecation? " I don't think that should have been necessary to avoid a 30 day suspension, as happened last time.

Edited by jbg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbg said:

So I had to rewrite the rest of the post so as not to violate.

I don't the mods here are that anal-retentive that they would care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't the mods here are that anal-retentive that they would care.

That cost me a seven- or thirty- day suspension when someone ratted me out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess some people have nothing better to do than troll the net looking for something similar so they can get you booted... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jbg said:

I don't think that should have been necessary to avoid a 30 day suspension, as happened last time.

We don't discuss suspensions (the reasons for, or the particulars) publicly.

The no cross-posting rule is extremely clear and well justified.

No one said you have to completely rewrite a post to abide by that specific rule - you just have to make an attempt to stimulate original discussion.

You could just as easily posted a brief summary of your original posting (on an external site), along with a link, and then ask for everyone's option.  That's well within the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greg said:

You could just as easily posted a brief summary of your original posting (on an external site), along with a link, and then ask for everyone's option.  That's well within the rules.

I'm glad to know about  that shortcut.   I've got numerous topics in other forums which I'd wanted to discuss here too.....but just the thought of having to rewrite the OP is reason enough to not go ahead with it.

Edited by betsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't want to stifle debate, that isn't the intent of the rule.

We just don't want the forums to be cluttered with cross-posts thrown up with little regard to original discussion.  Make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 11:34 AM, Greg said:

We don't discuss suspensions (the reasons for, or the particulars) publicly.

The no cross-posting rule is extremely clear and well justified.

No one said you have to completely rewrite a post to abide by that specific rule - you just have to make an attempt to stimulate original discussion.

You could just as easily posted a brief summary of your original posting (on an external site), along with a link, and then ask for everyone's option.  That's well within the rules.

I'm not sure I understand and I don't want to be wrong. Are you suggesting a link to the original post, or to the artcile starting the original post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 1:02 PM, Greg said:

We don't want to stifle debate, that isn't the intent of the rule.

We just don't want the forums to be cluttered with cross-posts thrown up with little regard to original discussion.  Make sense?

That's going to be hard to avoid with people being part of multiple sites. You will get cross posting.  It's not like we cannot discuss it here.  Quoting a news site is akin to cross posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2018 at 12:36 PM, GostHacked said:

That's going to be hard to avoid with people being part of multiple sites.

Not really, this rule is targeted at people who are blindly posting to multiple forums with little regard to starting discussion - they're usually promoting themselves or something else.

It was a standard rule used back in the Usenet days: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting

This rule is rarely cited, so I'm not sure why it's being brought up no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Greg said:

Not really, this rule is targeted at people who are blindly posting to multiple forums with little regard to starting discussion - they're usually promoting themselves or something else.

It was a standard rule used back in the Usenet days: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting

This rule is rarely cited, so I'm not sure why it's being brought up no.

I would suspect a couple members here are doing that. Dropping a post then not participating in it.  I've tried to engage on other political forums, but as much as I bitch, this place has been one of my daily go to sites for like a decade now.

 But as your notion as to why it is being brought up. I would defer to post 1 and post 2 of this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2018 at 6:20 PM, GostHacked said:

I would suspect a couple members here are doing that. Dropping a post then not participating in it. 

I agree, it happens. We often won't remove a blatant cross-post if it garners a lot of postings and attention before we have time to ask the original poster to repost - no point in killing good discussion.  However, that's fairly rare, in most cases members who register only to post one unoriginal posting often don't put much effort into the actual posting, which means that the thread doesn't attract much discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Greg.  Maybe you can explain to me or ask Charles why my apology post to Mike H was removed from the Zuckerburg thread claiming 'thread drift' ?  I thought it would be appropriate to apologize to mike for not reading his one post right,  but it's perplexing as to why that would be removed, while blatant insults towards posters remain?

Thanks for any reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×