Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
blackbird

Is hockey a gladiator sport?

Recommended Posts

First I must declare my personal non-interest.   I am not a sports fan of any kind

I noticed from time to time, as recently, a hockey player is what would appear, to receive serious brain injury. This occurred the other day and was caused by a hit by another player.

As a kind of outside observer, my question is should this really be an acceptable part of the "sport" in Canada?  It seems kind of like the ancient gladiators who went into the Roman coliseum to fight lions with a sword or the bull fights that take place today in Spain or the bare-fist boxing that is done possibly illegally, with bets taken.  Although the consequences of the injuries in hockey might not be as serious as in the coliseum or bare-fist boxing match.  There seems to be a macho mentality that supports this industry and pays to watch it.  Should it be considered as barbaric rather than a legitimate "sport"?  Is it possible to even play without these kinds of injuries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes hockey can open one up to serious injury. Certainly years ago fighting was a big part of the spectator attraction to the sport, but that has changed considerably over the decades. Yes, we would all be safer from injury playing non-contact sports, but life would be so much more boring that way. I am not much into watching professional sport of any kind, as they are only an excuse to sell widgets, but love to play the game or watch the occasional amateur team. I never kept up playing team sports as an adult, preferring individual ones, but when I was young all loved them all including hockey. Life is for living, and sport including hockey is part of living.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada's official sport is Lacrosse. That's also a violent sport. 

MMA, the ultimate modern gladiator sport, is very popular in Canada. 

Canada has a Football League. 

Canada is pretty good at Rugby internationally. 

It's unfair to single out hockey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if I'm wrong, but female hockey isn't as violent or violent and  my view, this not the game its the guys that play it and their anger management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Topaz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but female hockey isn't as violent or violent and  my view, this not the game its the guys that play it and their anger management.

You can play hockey without body checking, it's just not nearly as interesting. It'd be like making the NFL a flag football league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Boges said:

You can play hockey without body checking, it's just not nearly as interesting. It'd be like making the NFL a flag football league. 

Maybe on TV, but we who actually play the game for sport an enjoyment do not play with any contact. "We all have to go to work tomorrow."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the roughest sport I can remember is back in 60/70's Thunderbirds and roller skating teams going at each other, do they still have them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been googling about history of the NHL and I was surprised how relatively undeveloped the league was until the 70's. The same six teams played against each other for 70 rounds. That means that all teams met each other for 14 times and on top of that the play-off games. Only in the 70's the league started to expand.

Furthermore, as these days all North-American ball game-leagues have artificial east vs west-finals, that was not the case in the NHL until the 80's. There were finals between NY Islanders and Philadelphia or Philadelphia and Buffalo.

Only later on this silly artificial obsession that the final must be east vs west thing has caught the NHL too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 1:47 PM, -TSS- said:

I have been googling about history of the NHL and I was surprised how relatively undeveloped the league was until the 70's. The same six teams played against each other for 70 rounds. That means that all teams met each other for 14 times and on top of that the play-off games. Only in the 70's the league started to expand.

Furthermore, as these days all North-American ball game-leagues have artificial east vs west-finals, that was not the case in the NHL until the 80's. There were finals between NY Islanders and Philadelphia or Philadelphia and Buffalo.

Only later on this silly artificial obsession that the final must be east vs west thing has caught the NHL too.

 

 

Not quite.  In major league baseball there could be two teams from New York playing one another.  The divisional struct exists only for regular season play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...