Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Justin Trudeau, another Kardashian


Message added by Charles Anthony

 

merged into this thread

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, taxme said:

And so will the rest of us also pay. No one wants to pay for anything themselves. They want other people's money to  also help finance those expensive programs and agendas. 

Yes. vote- hungry conservatives can always count on gaining the support of the tax averse.  Mel Lastman was elected repeatedly in Toronto by promising lower taxation.  As a result, building a proper subway system was ignored, and many billions will have to be spent to make up for inaction under his leadership.  The execrable Rob Ford won overwhelming support from resentful losers, including those for whom a reduction in taxes was a holy grail.

This applies at the federal and provincial levels also where you will not find such voters turning their backs on any tax-funded benefits for which they qualify.

A distressing number of Canadians want to benefit from generous  government programs.  At the same time, they resent having to support these programs by paying higher taxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True, he may not have been drunk. Inebriated is another story. Lately he does seem to be losing the thread, even more so than his usual state of confusion.

On the other hand it could be great for the country. If he goes too far down that particular rabbit hole he could be removed. That would be a win win for Canada.

I didn't expect him to be this bad; he is far worse than expected.

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, ScarboroSr. said:

Yes. vote- hungry conservatives can always count on gaining the support of the tax averse.  Mel Lastman was elected repeatedly in Toronto by promising lower taxation.  As a result, building a proper subway system was ignored, and many billions will have to be spent to make up for inaction under his leadership.

Most local government is left of centre and they all play the same game. Ottawa has been ruled by liberal mayors for decades. Its roads are in terrible condition, and its sewer system is falling apart. It often goes hours on end with ZERO ambulances available for emergencies, and has the lowest police per population ratio of any major city in Canada - while gang violence doubles. 

But our mayor focuses on keeping tax increases under 2%. No matter what. And prefers to spend money on things which make him look good, like opening bike paths and foot bridges and giving grants to arts and cultural groups.

A real conservative would make sure what had to be done was done well. That means roads, highways, bridges, and other infrastructure is maintained in top working order, no matter what the cost. Because it's necessary for the efficient and effective functioning of the city. Other things, being secondary, would only be funded if necessary and money was left over. That includes arts and cultural funding, and things like bike paths.

29 minutes ago, ScarboroSr. said:

A distressing number of Canadians want to benefit from generous  government programs.  At the same time, they resent having to support these programs by paying higher taxes.

If you divide Canadian taxpayers in half, you will find that the top half pays 97% of income taxes, and the bottom half mostly gets a free ride. Those who resent their taxes are in the upper half, and they resent, not paying for their generous services, but paying for other people's generous services, and for all sorts of unnecessary things, like arts and cultural funding, bike paths and foot bridges and giant rubber duckies, like boondoggle air ambulances, and power plants closed in the midst of construction so as to not cost votes, and people making a jaunt in India to get lots of pictures of them in quaint local ethnic costumes so they can use them in their next election campaign. The last federal budget mentioned gender 350 some times and had all sorts of probably useless programs to help women and LGBT and 'racialized' groups in various ways. That's my money. Why do I have to pay for that when I can't possibly benefit from it in any way, shape or form?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PIK said:

Chretien gutted the military like no other.

It really depends on what metric you are using:

Progressive Conservatives reduced military spending to 6.9% of government revenue.

Liberals (Cretien/Martin) reduced military spending from 6.9% to 6.6%

Conservatives (Harper) reduced military spending from 6.6% to 5.7%

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

the largest beneficiaries of government largess

If you're not paying income tax yet you benefit from all  government services provided, including health care and education, it seems to me you're the largest beneficiary of government largess.

If, on the other hand, you have to pay income tax for your services, and also pay for the services of someone else, you can't be honestly claimed to be the largest beneficiary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Argus said:

If you're not paying income tax yet you benefit from all  government services provided, including health care and education, it seems to me you're the largest beneficiary of government largess.

If, on the other hand, you have to pay income tax for your services, and also pay for the services of someone else, you can't be honestly claimed to be the largest beneficiary.

The economy works for the richest, is does not work for the poorest. The richest are the largest beneficiaries of the economy, and a big part of the economy is the government services. They bring market stability for the rich to get rich.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ?Impact said:

It really depends on what metric you are using:

Progressive Conservatives reduced military spending to 6.9% of government revenue.

Liberals (Cretien/Martin) reduced military spending from 6.9% to 6.6%

Conservatives (Harper) reduced military spending from 6.6% to 5.7%

Harper bought C-17's, chinooks, tanks, APC's and equipment for our soldiers that were sent to afghanistan by chretien with very little combat gear. He built up camp petawawa and got the ball rolling for the navy that trudeau put off for many yrs. Chretein??? 

Edited by PIK
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ?Impact said:

The economy works for the richest, is does not work for the poorest. The richest are the largest beneficiaries of the economy, and a big part of the economy is the government services. They bring market stability for the rich to get rich.

The great majority of government funding goes to individuals either in the form of direct payments like welfare, pensions, child benefits, etc., or in services like health care and education. To say the economy does not 'work' for the poorest ignores the fact the economy works for whomever takes advantage of it. If the poor do not choose to do so that blame is on them, not the economy. Get your free education, go to university or college on government grants and loans, and get a job. How hard is that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PIK said:

Harper bought C-17's, chinooks, tanks, APC's and equipment for our soldiers that were sent to afghanistan by chretien with very little combat gear. He built up camp petawawa and got the ball rolling for the navy that trudeau put off for many yrs. Chretein??? 

Yes, he spent a few dollars to get hero points and then cut them off at the knees. Here, let me buy you a DQ Blizzard and I expect you to praise me for the rest of eternity even if I take away more from you in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Yes, he spent a few dollars to get hero points and then cut them off at the knees.

 

No, the CC-177 Globemaster III purchases by PM Harper addressed a very longstanding deficiency for Canadian Forces....heavy airlift.   This matters for many Canadian military and humanitarian missions that would otherwise not happen without more expensive leases and/or dependency on the evil Americans (e.g. Rwanda massacre and 2004 tsunami DART deployment).

Where was Canada ?    Hitching a ride....hitchin' a ride.

 

Edited by bush_cheney2004
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even Warren Kinsella understands my point:

Quote

 

Dear Justin:

You don’t mind if we call you Justin, do you? In other circumstances, we’d call you “Prime Minister,” but – to be perfectly candid – your Indian family vacation wasn’t terribly Prime Ministerial.

....

 

http://warrenkinsella.com/2018/03/column-justin-enough-already/

http://warrenkinsella.com/2018/03/column-justin-enough-already/

===

Gawd, I hate this current forum's software....It was far better before.

Greg: Keep it simple, stupid....

Edited by August1991
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was some sort of joke but it's real. Since the PMO had nothing to do with it, is there any conclusion other than Trudeau himself thought it would be a good idea? Certainly feeds the narcissistic narrative. Reading the article, even The Star has outdone itself in shilling for the Liberals. 

Quote

The Prime Minister’s Office declined to comment on the calendar. Earlier, a PMO official said it had no involvement in the calendar’s creation.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/03/16/our-prime-minister-as-a-pinup-model-justin-trudeau-calendar-rewards-his-fans-every-month-of-the-year.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

I thought it was some sort of joke but it's real. Since the PMO had nothing to do with it, is there any conclusion other than Trudeau himself thought it would be a good idea? Certainly feeds the narcissistic narrative. Reading the article, even The Star has outdone itself in shilling for the Liberals. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/03/16/our-prime-minister-as-a-pinup-model-justin-trudeau-calendar-rewards-his-fans-every-month-of-the-year.html

Interestingly, if you vote, you get to see that 70% of respondents didn't like it because it trivializes the office of prime minister.

That's 70% of TORONTO STAR readers, which is the most Liberal loyal newspaper in Canada...

I think the boyish cutesy pie Mr. Selfy thing has gotten old for almost everyone now.

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites

He is not the young leader anymore, he is the oldest one. Time for the old guy to resign.......................when he gets home from florida.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Argus said:

Interestingly, if you vote, you get to see that 70% of respondents didn't like it because it trivializes the office of prime minister.

That's 70% of TORONTO STAR readers, which is the most Liberal loyal newspaper in Canada...

I think the boyish cutesy pie Mr. Selfy thing has gotten old for almost everyone now.

Options for the vote are rather interesting-

 

Would you buy a Justin Trudeau pinup calendar?
Sure, it's just a bit of fun.
No, it trivializes the office of the prime minister.
No, but only because I'm holding out for the Jagmeet Singh version.
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, ScarboroSr. said:

Yes. vote- hungry conservatives can always count on gaining the support of the tax averse.  Mel Lastman was elected repeatedly in Toronto by promising lower taxation.  As a result, building a proper subway system was ignored, and many billions will have to be spent to make up for inaction under his leadership.  The execrable Rob Ford won overwhelming support from resentful losers, including those for whom a reduction in taxes was a holy grail.

This applies at the federal and provincial levels also where you will not find such voters turning their backs on any tax-funded benefits for which they qualify.

A distressing number of Canadians want to benefit from generous  government programs.  At the same time, they resent having to support these programs by paying higher taxes.

It's amazing how much you sound like SirEric. Completely identical, in fact, right down to complaints about the Toronto subway and your hatred for Conservatives. One might almost wonder if you were posting from the same location...

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 1:06 AM, August1991 said:

I'm about to meet her again. 

Hardly a scientific sample but I'll report on her opinion.

======

In a "modern" democracy, each citizen has one single ballot.

(I reckon that in the future, the right to vote will be restricted to a person who has paid taxes. That's how Condo associations operate.)

I asked her about this question. I even added that he's now a joke.

Her answer?

"He's the most beautiful leader in the world."

Then she added:

"Putin is the strongest."

Edited by August1991
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...

With the right people behind him.....and some lessons in humility, he might have established an acceptable brand. Instead, he's devolved into being a phony front man for a dangerous ideologue (Butts) and a promise breaker (AKA liar). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements




×
×
  • Create New...