Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Kerfuffle

The second amendment is failing the USA : Another school shooting!

Recommended Posts

The Second Amendment has merely created a means through which violent people can obtain lethal ordnance and act on their dark intentions. 

 The Second Amendment is a failed amendment – a hopelessly entrenched piece of legislation that has continually fallen short of its expectations and has contributed more to depriving Americans of the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness than to protecting those same rights.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of with BC on this. Why do we care if Americans keep shooting themselves?

We have gun control and mass shootings are exceedingly rare in Canada but they have their own country.  

The politically motivated value relatively unrestricted gun ownership to the death of dozens of innocent people in a public space every few months. At least they're consistent. They don't want to restrict gun ownership even when a Muslim is the one doing the shooting. 

I get more worked up about the criminal they elected president than this. 

Edited by Boges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boges said:

Kind of with BC on this. Why do we care if Americans keep shooting themselves?

We have gun control and mass shootings are exceedingly rare in Canada but they have their own country. 

 

Indeed....the victim's bodies weren't even cold yet but the usual suspects were immediately screaming their smug criticisms from across the border.

Canada had a mass shooting in a Mosque last year, killing 6 and injuring 19 others despite "gun control".

 

Quote

The politically motivated value relatively unrestricted gun ownership to the death of dozens of innocent people in a public space every few months. At least they're consistent. They don't want to restrict gun ownership even when a Muslim is the one doing the shooting. 

I get more worked up about the criminal they elected president than this. 

 

Why, given the above ?    Trump is not the president of Canada, and has no criminal record.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Indeed....the victim's bodies weren't even cold yet but the usual suspects were immediately screaming their smug criticisms from across the border.

Canada had a mass shooting in a Mosque last year, killing 6 and injuring 19 others despite "gun control".

And the US has already had dozens this year alone. It's not comparable. As I said, mass shootings in Canada happen but are very rare. 

Quote

Why, given the above ?    Trump is not the president of Canada, and has no criminal record.

Because it's astonishing that someone so dishonest and stupid can reach the pinnacle of US politics. At the same time he forces everyone around him to completely compromise his principals. I feel the same about our PM BTW. But that's thread drift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US has had the 2nd amendment since the beginning, they've also had violent movies for a long time.  Video games and music have been around for some time.  Kids were always bullied and always had mental issues.  I think it's time to look at what has changed in the USA over the last recent years.

Edited by Hal 9000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Boges said:

And the US has already had dozens this year alone. It's not comparable. As I said, mass shootings in Canada happen but are very rare.

 

Ergo, Canada's "gun laws" did not prevent mass shootings.

U.S. gun homicides are at a 30 year low, despite far more guns being owned.

 

Quote

Because it's astonishing that someone so dishonest and stupid can reach the pinnacle of US politics. At the same time he forces everyone around him to completely compromise his principals. I feel the same about our PM BTW. But that's thread drift. 

 

So what's the big deal...if Canada can elect a majority party led by a zealot, so can any other country.

Why does Trump matter so much to other nationals ?   He didn't invent gun rights.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canadians care because I keep hearing that our culture is heavily influenced by American culture, and now we have one mass shooting every few years we will soon have many mass shooting every year in trying to keep with the superior Americans. We already see the NRA lite groups forming in Canada (Farmers With Weapons) being only the most recent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't blame Trump.

I do think the politically motivated are skeewing the political will of the people regarding reasonable gun control because they fear the NRA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

The US has had the 2nd amendment since the beginning, they've also had violent movies for a long time.  Video games and music have been around for some time.  Kids were always bullied and always had mental issues.  I think it's time to look at what has changed in the USA over the last recent years.

More mental illness, especially depression, is what has happened in recent times.  New research and insights into depression is indicating its is caused by unhealthy social environments as opposed to chemical imbalances.  That presents a real problem because I suspect treating society will be viewed as being too much like engineering society.

Watching the US tackle mental illness will be like watching a dog that catches a car...what does it do next?

Some 1 in 5 North Americans suffer mental illness, most of them depression.  Will  going after 75 million people really be easier than going after 300 million guns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ?Impact said:

Canadians care because I keep hearing that our culture is heavily influenced by American culture, and now we have one mass shooting every few years we will soon have many mass shooting every year in trying to keep with the superior Americans. We already see the NRA lite groups forming in Canada (Farmers With Weapons) being only the most recent.

 

Canadians choose to gorge themselves on American culture.    As demonstrated in another thread, Canadians spent more time/effort searching for information about Dylan Roof in the U.S. than on Alexandre Bissonnette (Quebec mosque shooter).  

The U.S. will continue to have gun homicides no matter how much Canadians worry about it.

Americans don't worry so much about gun (or knife) homicides in Canada, or change the justice system for political gain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Boges said:

I don't blame Trump.

I do think the politically motivated are skeewing the political will of the people regarding reasonable gun control because they fear the NRA. 

 

The NRA has millions of American members, who pay dues to keep the gun lobby strong, same as any other (more powerful) lobbies.

Law abiding American citizens should not have to give up gun rights because of criminals and the mentally ill.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Law abiding American citizens should not have to give up gun rights because of criminals and the mentally ill.

What about laws to keep guns from criminals and the mentally ill. 

Apparently this Parkland Shooter was on the FBI's radar. Why could he still get a gun? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boges said:

What about laws to keep guns from criminals and the mentally ill. 

Apparently this Parkland Shooter was on the FBI's radar. Why could he still get a gun? 

 

Because being on "radar" does not equate to a felony conviction or (legal) mental defect.

Criminals do not care about gun laws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

The NRA has millions of American members, who pay dues to keep the gun lobby strong, same as any other (more powerful) lobbies.

Law abiding American citizens should not have to give up gun rights because of criminals and the mentally ill.

 

You've upset Omni. Oh no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Criminals do not care about gun laws.

But what if a known criminal wants to legally buy a gun? Should he be allowed to? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a terrorist commits a mass murder, society bends over backward to explain how western/US policy contributed, how we need to reach out and see that these people are being marginalized by society and how we need to change our policy and belief systems to prevent sch attacks.  We don't blame bombs, guns, cars or knives, we look at US policy toward these people.  Maybe we should look at US/western Policy in regards to young men.  I'll bet anything this kid was told from day one that he was a good for nothing piece of sh1t.   

I know I'll get the "boo-hoo, young men get everything" rhetoric, but (in part due to that thinking) in today's society, I can't think of anything that would make me want to be a young white man in this day and age.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boges said:

But what if a known criminal wants to legally buy a gun? Should he be allowed to? 

 

Convicted felons cannot own firearms...that's been the case for decades.

But anybody can easily buy a gun from a private party....allowed or not.

Many guns are also stolen in burglaries...popular with the druggies who need to finance their illegal habit.  (See what I did there ?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

But anybody can easily buy a gun from a private party....allowed or not.

Should there be responsibilities of gun ownership? Proper storage & handling? Not looking the other way? etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ?Impact said:

Should there be responsibilities of gun ownership? Proper storage & handling? Not looking the other way? etc.

 

Again, you are speaking from a framework that requires laws and compliance....doesn't matter to criminals.

I can buy a gun on the street in less than an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Again, you are speaking from a framework that requires laws and compliance....doesn't matter to criminals.

No, I am talking about all those upstanding NRA gun owners. There are very few home made firearms on the street, they all started out as legal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

No, I am talking about all those upstanding NRA gun owners. There are very few home made firearms on the street, they all started out as legal.

 

That's not true...a subset of firearms are smuggled in illegally, same as in Canada.

Lawful gun owners are not responsible for the illegal acts of criminals.

My guns haven't killed anybody...yet

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

I can't think of anything that would make me want to be a young white man in this day and age.

Well, thankfully you live in a day and an age where you can change yourself into a girl.

Edited by eyeball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...