Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Is Trump a threat to democracy?


Recommended Posts

Quote

Former U.S. secretary of state Madeleine Albright is worried about the future of democracy in her own country. In her new book, Fascism: A Warning, she tracks the decline of democracy around the world. The CBC’s Wendy Mesley speaks with Albright about the forces behind authoritarianism in today’s world. Albright understands fascism well, she was a refugee herself whose family escaped Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia and settled in the U.S.     

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1221940803758

Personally, I think Trump is too stupid to pull the sort of coup that might lead to a direct dictatorship.  That said I think its his hard-core supporters who are are the real threat - the leading edge of an ideology that is increasingly willing to forgo freedom, especially other people's, in the name of empowering the state.   This forum alone is enough to reveal how lax some people have become in the importance they assign to democracy.  

I honestly think what's most un-motivating the right-wing and its increasingly poor appreciation for democracy is simply it's hatred of anything that smacks of progressivism, liberals and an apparently all powerful unstoppable left. Conservatives have allowed their better natures to become deeply distracted to what's actually happening.  I expect the response to this sort of thread, the story behind it and any suggestion the American right-wing is who's "plucking the chicken" these days will conjure up the usual whataboutisms and ghosts of Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot...and of course the Trudeaus.

Interestingly Albright concludes the interview by saying she thinks Canada is the world's best citizen with regards to protecting, empowering and spreading democratic values around the planet.  Perhaps she's unaware of Justin Trudeau's declared admiration for the ability of China's government to get things done.

Quote

 

The Liberal leader was asked which nation he admired most. He responded: "There's a level of admiration I actually have for China. Their basic dictatorship is actually allowing them to turn their economy around on a dime."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/justin-trudeau-s-foolish-china-remarks-spark-anger-1.2421351

 

Ah...there it is...China's economy.   Nothing sucks a right-winger in faster these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Madeleine Albright says a lot of things....and prefers bombing people with American power when it suited her own agenda.

If Canada was a major player in democracy around the world, Canadians wouldn't have so much anxiety about American foreign policy, regardless of who is U.S. president.

 

Quote

- Iraq is a long way from the U.S., but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face.

- While democracy in the long run is the most stable form of government, in the short run, it is among the most fragile.

- If we have to use force, it is because we are America. We are the indispensable nation. We stand tall. We see further into the future.

- For me, America is really, truly the indispensable nation.

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/madeleine_albright
 

-What's the point of having this superb military that you're always talking about if we can't use it?

Madeleine's War (Kosovo)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Madeleine Albright says a lot of things....and prefers bombing people with American power when it suited her own agenda.

That needed to be said alright. Thanks.

So you're saying Albright is a lefty? Whatabout that ism eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That needed to be said alright. Thanks.

So you're saying Albright is a lefty? Whatabout that ism eh?

 

Doesn't matter either way....the progressives and lefties will drop bombs when it suits them as well.

The bombs don't care.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The name-tag fascist has suffered inflation as it is hurled at anyone who dares to question the globalist-agenda. Another similar name-tag is Putinist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

The real threat to democracy is those who cannot accept the outcome of a fair democratic election.

No kidding, Trump and his fan club really need to get over the fact Hillary lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2018 at 8:06 PM, eyeball said:

Personally, I think Trump is too stupid to pull the sort of coup that might lead to a direct dictatorship.  That said I think its his hard-core supporters who are are the real threat - the leading edge of an ideology that is increasingly willing to forgo freedom, especially other people's, in the name of empowering the state.   This forum alone is enough to reveal how lax some people have become in the importance they assign to democracy.  

I honestly think what's most un-motivating the right-wing and its increasingly poor appreciation for democracy is simply it's hatred of anything that smacks of progressivism, liberals and an apparently all powerful unstoppable left. Conservatives have allowed their better natures to become deeply distracted to what's actually happening.  I expect the response to this sort of thread, the story behind it and any suggestion the American right-wing is who's "plucking the chicken" these days will conjure up the usual whataboutisms and ghosts of Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot...and of course the Trudeaus.

Interestingly Albright concludes the interview by saying she thinks Canada is the world's best citizen with regards to protecting, empowering and spreading democratic values around the planet.  Perhaps she's unaware of Justin Trudeau's declared admiration for the ability of China's government to get things done.

Ah...there it is...China's economy.   Nothing sucks a right-winger in faster these days.

It's the liberal-minded that are the biggest threat to democracy.   Especially those who lean towards socialism.

Edited by betsy
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, betsy said:

It's the liberal-minded that are the biggest threat to democracy.  Especially those who lean towards socialism.

No, what's actually happening is that liberal-mindedness has triggered an irrational right-wing reaction that threatens to skew towards fascism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eyeball said:

No, what's actually happening is that liberal-mindedness has triggered an irrational right-wing reaction that threatens to skew towards fascism.

Fascism has been on the rise in the USA since 9/11.  PATRIOT ACT under Bush Jr,  and NDAA under Obama. Wonder what Trump will put forth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eyeball said:

No, what's actually happening is that liberal-mindedness has triggered an irrational right-wing reaction that threatens to skew towards fascism.

 

No, what's actually happening is that Trump's victory has triggered the lunatic melt-down of liberals - and they're  now blatantly wearing fascism on their sleeves!  The latest example would be the MeToo movement!  Who would've thought that people's lives would be ruined - judged guilty -  by mere accusations of alleged sex assault that happened decades ago?    We're seeing democracy spiralling down the drain!

 

 

Edited by betsy
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eyeball said:

No kidding, Trump and his fan club really need to get over the fact Hillary lost.

It is the MSM and the democrats and Hillary that constantly keep attacking and trying to get Trump impeached. They lost the election and all they do every day when they wake up is whine and cry about losing to Trump. Every day on the MSM the attacks against Trump goes on and on and on. Such childish behaviour.  Every night On American TV there are these two so called night show host idiots called  Colbert and Kimmel cannot open up their show for one night without saying something nasty about Trump. Crybaby snowflake liberal  losers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, betsy said:

 

No, what's actually happening is that Trump's victory has triggered the lunatic melt-down of liberals - and they're  now blatantly wearing fascism on their sleeves!  The latest example would be the MeToo movement!  Who would've thought that people's lives would be ruined - judged guilty -  by mere accusations of alleged sex assault that happened decades ago?    We're seeing democracy spiralling down the drain!

 

 

The swampers and their supporters keep hoping and keep trying to get Trump on anything they can but everything that they try to pull out of thin air to try and nail Trump eventually blows up in their stupid and stunned liberal faces. Why and how some here keep thinking that Trump is the bad guy here is beyond me. I guess that they fall under the same category. Pathetic liberal losers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements



×
×
  • Create New...