Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
angrypenguin

U.S. imposing steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada, Mexico and Europe

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Effing right-wingers have been peddling this socialists are traitors shit for years, its like talking about the weather but never doing anything about it.  Either put up or shut-up, borrow a page from Pinochet's handbook or something.

I don't get your seemingly weak attempt at a shot at me. I did shut up, by pulling out of Canada. Basically the left wingers have been telling me to shut up and pay my taxes, or get out. So I got out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, angrypenguin said:

I don't get your seemingly weak attempt at a shot at me. I did shut up, by pulling out of Canada. Basically the left wingers have been telling me to shut up and pay my taxes, or get out. So I got out.

Right-wingers never ever shut up about the left - like you threatening to leave but you're still here.  You're all talk and no action - a poser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Right-wingers never ever shut up about the left - like you threatening to leave but you're still here.  You're all talk and no action - a poser.

Not sure why you're so pissy, but I'm not threatening to leave, I've left. Just finishing up the last of my move. You lefties don't get any more of my tax money, and actually about 13 or 14 of us have left Canada in the last year, all 1%ers. Enjoy your sanctuary province.

Edited by angrypenguin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, angrypenguin said:

Not sure why you're so pissy,

Twenty years of listening to right whiners...lefty this socialist that...blah blah blah.

but I'm not threatening to leave, I've left. Just finishing up the last of my move. You lefties don't get any more of my tax money, and actually about 13 or 14 of us have left Canada in the last year, all 1%ers. Enjoy your sanctuary province.

I see zero reason to believe you've left or make anything close to 250k, 20 is probably more like it and I bet your Mom still does your laundry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I see zero reason to believe you've left or make anything close to 250k, 20 is probably more like it and I bet your Mom still does your laundry.

 

Wow. You're entitled to your own opinion but not the facts. But yeah, sure, if that helps you sleep at night. Seems like you need a bottle of high priced wine from Ontario thanks to your support of all things tax! I guess this is how it works eh? Just go for a personal attack just so you can feel better about yourself. *golfclap*

Edited by angrypenguin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada is only hurting itself by imposing tariffs in retaliation to the USA. These tariffs appear to be more of a facade than anything else, reactionary Liberal smoke.

Trudeau et al simply don't get it: Donald Trump loves retaliatory tariffs- they only help fuel his primary mission, to bring manufacturing back to America.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OftenWrong said:

Canada is only hurting itself by imposing tariffs in retaliation to the USA. These tariffs appear to be more of a facade than anything else, reactionary Liberal smoke.

Trudeau et al simply don't get it: Donald Trump loves retaliatory tariffs- they only help fuel his primary mission, to bring manufacturing back to America.

 

Agreed....Trudeau and Freeland's hot dog show was mostly for domestic consumption, standing tough against evil Trump and those Americans.

This appeals to basic anti-American DNA found in some Canadians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, angrypenguin said:

 

Just go for a personal attack just so you can feel better about yourself. *golfclap*

Look, your betters have been insulting people like me while fruitlessly spending trillions to fight lefties around the world and here you are  bragging about cutting and running. You couldn't put up or shut up if you tried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Look, your betters have been insulting people like me while fruitlessly spending trillions to fight lefties around the world and here you are  bragging about cutting and running. You couldn't put up or shut up if you tried. 

It's not bragging when ti's a statement of fact. You're the one throwing invectives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, angrypenguin said:

It's not bragging when ti's a statement of fact. You're the one throwing invectives.

Throwing them back in your face you mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Canada is only hurting itself by imposing tariffs in retaliation to the USA. 

So cave in to Trump is your suggestion? This probably explains why right wingers can't do anything about lefties except cry - all show and no go, except for running away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Throwing them back in your face you mean.

 

Hope you sleep better tonight. Maybe the happiness fairy will drop by and give you a kiss on the cheek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 12:43 PM, angrypenguin said:

Let's see if you have any knowledge about the pros of these free trade agreements. Do you have any idea how Canada benefited, and if so, I encourage you to list them, because otherwise you're just ranting about one side of the fallout of said agreement.

I am neither a liberal nor a conservative, so I see NO benefits to open trade for us!  What we get by the way of cheap slave-produced GMO produce from Florida etc. and $10.00 shirts from the worst sweatshops in the world is the tradeoff of losing our own productive capacity (did you know we used have textile industries here and a lot, lot more fruit farms before "free trade!" 

And the specialization of economies does not make them more efficient! It stretches supply chains and adds to both economic and environmental costs, but BIg BIz doesn't care, because it produces either monopolies or near monopolies for the operations they own or hold majority shares in.

So, what are the benefits? And I mean except for Wall Street, London and the leading transnational capitalist class who've been the only segment of societies around the world to get richer under 'free trade?' Just count up the number of billionaires in the world for proof....every country in the world...even the most destitute...now have their own billionaire class who make sure this toxic capitalist system that's out of control keeps on running!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eyeball said:

Effing right-wingers have been peddling this socialists are traitors shit for years, its like talking about the weather but never doing anything about it.  Either put up or shut-up, borrow a page from Pinochet's handbook or something.

That's what I've been thinking too! For years, we've had rightwing radio and crap like Sun Media running their Republican playbooks, and they could have gotten away with it except for the fact that when their primary loyalties are to the US and not Canada...or the part of Canada that we should owe our allegiances to, they reveal themselves to be the real traitors...as Andrew Scheer and Stephen Harper have done in their desperate game of trying to find wiggle room around condemning US policy and trying to tell us that JT must have done something wrong...like being insufficiently obsequious to our American overlords!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Canada is only hurting itself by imposing tariffs in retaliation to the USA. These tariffs appear to be more of a facade than anything else, reactionary Liberal smoke.

Trudeau et al simply don't get it: Donald Trump loves retaliatory tariffs- they only help fuel his primary mission, to bring manufacturing back to America.

The Canadian economy used to be run for the benefit of Canada/not begging for better terms from the US! Once again, conservatives show they are the real traitors of this country!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WIP said:

The Canadian economy used to be run for the benefit of Canada/not begging for better terms from the US! Once again, conservatives show they are the real traitors of this country!

 

Canada was warned many times not to go down the FTA/NAFTA road....Liberals railed against it for political points back home.

Now Trudeau and the Liberals love NAFTA and refuse to accept a sunset clause.

Bottom Line:   Canada's economy needs the USA far more than the U.S. economy needs Canada.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the Liberals were not paying attention when Trumps was elected POTUS. One of his main platform planks was "making America great again". He railed against the decline of US manufacturing and how other nations were taking advantage of trade deals that weaken that sector. His message was loud and clear. A country like Canada cannot possibly expect to bring the US to its knees on trade just with tough words or retaliation. I'm not a diplomat or a negotiator and I don't know what would work. Obviously the Liberals don't know either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, WIP said:

I am neither a liberal nor a conservative, so I see NO benefits to open trade for us!  What we get by the way of cheap slave-produced GMO produce from Florida etc. and $10.00 shirts from the worst sweatshops in the world is the tradeoff of losing our own productive capacity (did you know we used have textile industries here and a lot, lot more fruit farms before "free trade!" 

And the specialization of economies does not make them more efficient! It stretches supply chains and adds to both economic and environmental costs, but BIg BIz doesn't care, because it produces either monopolies or near monopolies for the operations they own or hold majority shares in.

So, what are the benefits? And I mean except for Wall Street, London and the leading transnational capitalist class who've been the only segment of societies around the world to get richer under 'free trade?' Just count up the number of billionaires in the world for proof....every country in the world...even the most destitute...now have their own billionaire class who make sure this toxic capitalist system that's out of control keeps on running!

 

Right from the get go, free trade has driven down the price of basically everything we buy in life. Protectionism hurts consumers, and while you can make an argument with respect to how trade impacts certain industries, from a consumer standpoint, we're almost basically always going to win from free trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

 

Bottom Line:   Canada's economy needs the USA far more than the U.S. economy needs Canada.

Something Trudeau and most Canadians don't understand. We're a pretty useless country when it comes to the US needing us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Looks like the Liberals were not paying attention when Trumps was elected POTUS. One of his main platform planks was "making America great again". He railed against the decline of US manufacturing and how other nations were taking advantage of trade deals that weaken that sector. His message was loud and clear. A country like Canada cannot possibly expect to bring the US to its knees on trade just with tough words or retaliation. I'm not a diplomat or a negotiator and I don't know what would work. Obviously the Liberals don't know either.

 

I agree 100%...Trump's dark inauguration speech (authored by Bannon ?) spoke of seeing dead manufacturing plants and factories like "tombstones" across the United States because of "free trade".    Last year, Freeland said herself that the USA no longer accepts the post WW2 burden and mantle for western stability...paying the lion's share in blood and treasure.    The U.S. is not responsible for Canada's economy....long before Trump came along.

This Trump action is a promised and welcomed reset of what has transpired with international trade agreements over the past 50 years, and I hope it leads to a better balance after all the screaming and shouting.    Bernie Sanders supporters wanted the same kind of shake up, and the EU is fracturing along the same lines.

Nothing lasts forever, and a "reset button" is long overdue.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Canada is only hurting itself by imposing tariffs in retaliation to the USA. These tariffs appear to be more of a facade than anything else, reactionary Liberal smoke.

Trudeau et al simply don't get it: Donald Trump loves retaliatory tariffs- they only help fuel his primary mission, to bring manufacturing back to America.

Nobody cares what Trump loves. The point of the tariffs is to cause trouble for states and districts that supported Trump, especially the swing states like Pennsylvania and Ohio. Those people might think his big words are great until their factories start losing business. That's why only the most fanatic (and brainless) far right supporters are cheering him on in this. Republican senators, congressmen and governors from Nebraska to Texas are calling this dumb and counter-productive.

Trump is never going to bring manufacturing back to the US. Not manufacturing which is labour intensive, anyway. American labour costs too much compared to China, Mexico and other countries. No matter what he does jobs in old tech, like coal mining and labour intensive manufacturing, will continue to dwindle because they're not cost effective.

Anyway, Trump doesn't give a shit about manufacturing or ordinary people. All he wants to do is wave his dick around and puff out his chest like he's a big man. He's a sociopath and a narcissist. All that matters to Trump is Trump. He'd pimp his daughters out if it brought him applause.

 

Edited by Argus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, angrypenguin said:

Something Trudeau and most Canadians don't understand. We're a pretty useless country when it comes to the US needing us.

Eight million American jobs depend on trade with Canada. We're the top export destination for 35 states. You might consider eight million jobs useless but I doubt the people who work them, or their families do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Looks like the Liberals were not paying attention when Trumps was elected POTUS. One of his main platform planks was "making America great again". He railed against the decline of US manufacturing and how other nations were taking advantage of trade deals that weaken that sector. His message was loud and clear. A country like Canada cannot possibly expect to bring the US to its knees on trade just with tough words or retaliation. I'm not a diplomat or a negotiator and I don't know what would work. Obviously the Liberals don't know either.

The only consistent features of Trump's lack of character (aside from being a narcissist, liar and hedonist)  is that he's both a coward and a bully. If he can pick on someone, he will, and he'll do it repeatedly - though from a distance. He lacks the courage to say anything to people's faces. When he fires people he has someone else do it, preferably while he's hiding under his desk in another state. If you let Trump pick on you and bully you for no justifiable reason and don't hit back he will ALWAYS continue doing it. He will always escalate it. If you cave in and agree on something he'll sense weakness and then push further. 

I'm not a fan of the Liberals, but seeking to punish Trump states and Trump districts in the run-up to an election is a wise move.  Even Republican congressmen and senators are talking again about how to curb his powers and stop him from screwing up the economy and the US' relations with its allies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WIP said:

That's what I've been thinking too! For years, we've had rightwing radio and crap like Sun Media running their Republican playbooks, and they could have gotten away with it except for the fact that when their primary loyalties are to the US and not Canada...or the part of Canada that we should owe our allegiances to, they reveal themselves to be the real traitors...as Andrew Scheer and Stephen Harper have done in their desperate game of trying to find wiggle room around condemning US policy and trying to tell us that JT must have done something wrong...like being insufficiently obsequious to our American overlords!

This is little more than delusional babbling without any trace of truth, fact or evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...