Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
turningrite

Ford eviscerates local GTA politics

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

Toronto Council voted 24-17 to try to find ways to contest Ford's edict to cut Councilors from 47 to 25. I'm pleasantly surprised that 17 councilors were in favour of just accepting the decision and moving on. The Star, in an editorial entitled "The Man who Would be King" had this to say:

In response, Toronto council voted overwhelmingly to dispatch the city legal department to try and find some constitutional or legal grounds to challenge Ford's legislation. 

And this: Giorgio Mammoliti, one of a handful of Toronto councilors on Ford's side.......

I regret I do not have free access to the editorial section so I can't provide a link.

Here's an amusing side story - The Star - in the same edition - published YES/NO columns in answer to the question "Should Doug Ford Cut City Council". The "NO" column implied that it MIGHT be OK but the timing is wrong and consultation is needed. The "Yes" column fully supported the move with some interesting reasoning.

Link: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/thebigdebate/2018/07/31/should-doug-ford-cut-city-council-in-half-right-now-no.html

Link: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/thebigdebate/2018/07/31/should-doug-ford-cut-city-council-in-half-right-now-yes.html

As far as I am concerned The Star is just another leftist liberal/socialist/communist rag and should be avoided at all costs. It is quite obvious that The Star will be attacking and mocking Ford forever and a day now that Ford is the premier of Ontario. Anything Ford does now will be made to appear negative for Ontario. These leftists liberals and the socialist NDP SJW's will be saying for years to come now that Ford is preparing Ontario for Armageddon. Personally, I think that finally Ontario has dodged the Armageddon bullet and thanks to Ford Ontario will finally come to it's senses once again and Ford will make Ontario great again. Hopefully Ford will. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, taxme said:

I am an "earthling" conservative and not an "earthling" liberal and therefore I cannot be stupid but only very smart. :D  You still refuse to acknowledge as to whether Canadians or foreigners come first with you. It is very sad indeed when the rest of the world is more important to you than Canada or Canadians. Deplorable. :unsure:

I've made it patently clear that Earthlings come first, that said Canadians are human beings too so...

BTW is it fair to say you'd give up being a Canadian before you'd give up conservatism? How about your precious money? It seems more than a few of your ilk are forever threatening to take their money and leave rather than pay their taxes.  Deplorable.

Edited by eyeball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I've made it patently clear that Earthlings come first, that said Canadians are human beings too so...

So... alien hater, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are certainly getting silly at Queen's Park. Based on today's debacle at Queen's Park, it seems that Ford picked up a lot of tips on pointless political bickering during his years at Toronto city hall. It was bedlam down at the Park today. Let's hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Edited by turningrite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

So... alien hater, eh?

Wow, that's two of you now who've implied human beings are somehow alien to Earth.  WTF is with that anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, eyeball said:

I've made it patently clear that Earthlings come first, that said Canadians are human beings too so...

BTW is it fair to say you'd give up being a Canadian before you'd give up conservatism? How about your precious money? It seems more than a few of your ilk are forever threatening to take their money and leave rather than pay their taxes.  Deplorable.

That's nice to hear but why do you believe that Foreigners come first over Canadians? A simple bloody question. You have to be a socialist, right? Socialists like to spend other people's money on their pet projects, programs and agendas. Canadians are constantly being forced to go to work every day to try and make their own ends meet and needs taken care of first and then are also being forced to look after the rest of the world's refugees and their problems no matter what the cost will be. Whenever their is some kind of a natural disaster in some third world country Trudeau will in many cases send money to them. Why? Why should the Canadian taxpayer's be forced to come to their rescue just because some natural disaster happens in some third world country? For several decades now Billions of our Canadian tax dollars have been blown on liberal/socialists work projects for the third world at Canada and Canadians expense. This must stop now. Enough already. I am sick of watching my tax dollars go down the drain every year in Canada. 

I do not know what ilk you are talking about but? Canadians are paying way more than what they should be paying in taxes. We are overburdened with having to pay the numerous kinds of taxes. As pointed out above Billions blown on the rest of the world. You know the ones you prefer to show loyalty too, those people that I like to call foreigner earthlings. :D What precious money? I barely have enough money left with the way all levels of governments keep stealing from me and keep spending my tax dollars like their is no tomorrow. Now that is deplorable and pretty much thievery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, turningrite said:

Things are certainly getting silly at Queen's Park. Based on today's debacle at Queen's Park, it seems that Ford picked up a lot of tips on pointless political bickering during his years at Toronto city hall. It was bedlam down at the Park today. Let's hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

The liberals and socialists and communists and even the left wing liberal media in Ontario are on the warpath now. Doug Ford will be their target and all that they will talk about and all of them will be pretending to be fighting for the little guy/gal which we all should know by now is far from the truth and what it will be all about is that all their big spending plans and ideas and pet projects for trying to turn Ontario and Canada into another third world hell hole is now in jeopardy from happening. Those misfits will be fighting for their lives now. Maybe many should just go try out and go live in some socialist or communist country for a year or so. Then they may be happy to get back to Canada as fast as a plane will get them back too Canada. 

If you have been watching as to what the democrats and the left wing liberal media have been doing to Trump for the past two years we all will now be able to watch it at home now and be not so entertained by them here in Canada where Ford will now get the same treatment happening to him as Trump from those idiots mentioned above. Never mind that a huge majority of Ontario taxpayer's put Ford in as Premier. That will not be good enough for the crybaby losers who will be crying and whining for the next four years. Aw, too bad, so sad for them. LOL. 

The losers at Queens Park have only just begun their yelping. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, eyeball said:

Wow, that's two of you now who've implied human beings are somehow alien to Earth.  WTF is with that anyway?

Maybe you are an alien and you have not yet learned as to what is the difference between a Canadian and a foreigner, hmmmm? :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, taxme said:

That's nice to hear but why do you believe that Foreigners come first over Canadians? A simple bloody question.

Where did I say I believe that?  It's not clear to you yet that I don't differentiate between human beings and Earthlings the way you do?  Everyone are just plain folks to me.  

BTW you didn't answer my question, is it fair to say you'd give up being a Canadian before you'd give up conservatism?

Edited by eyeball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, eyeball said:

Where did I say I believe that?  It's not clear to you yet that I don't differentiate between human beings and Earthlings the way you do?  Everyone are just plain folks to me.  

BTW you didn't answer my question, is it fair to say you'd give up being a Canadian before you'd give up conservatism?

Just like you who keeps telling me that you are an earthling and all earthlings are just plain folks to you, well, I am a Canadian earthling and a conservative earthling and I would not give up on either one of them. There would be no picking or choosing for me between the two.  They both go together like ice cream on an ice cream cone. 

We have gone off topic. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, taxme said:

Just like you who keeps telling me that you are an earthling and all earthlings are just plain folks to you, well, I am a Canadian earthling and a conservative earthling and I would not give up on either one of them. There would be no picking or choosing for me between the two.  They both go together like ice cream on an ice cream cone. 

We have gone off topic. 

You've simply avoided it you mean.

And it's Earthling not earthling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eyeball said:

You've simply avoided it you mean.

And it's Earthling not earthling.

You appear to also enjoy avoiding any questions asked of you. So, what's your point? Oh my, that is just awful. Did I hurt your liberal feelings by spelling earthlings w/o a capital "e"? That kind of reminds me of when trudeau was at some liberal meeting and a girl said the word "mankind" and trudeau rudely interrupted her and said that she should have said human kind. What a joke liberals are and have become. Canada has become a place where idiot fools can get elected to run and rule a country. Deplorable earthling that trudeau is. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, taxme said:

You appear to also enjoy avoiding any questions asked of you.

What question was that exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 10:57 AM, turningrite said:

Well, now we're seeing the Doug Ford many of thought would emerge. He's taking the axe to Toronto city council, reducing the number of wards from 47 to 25, and cancelling the regional chair elections in Peel and York. There will be a lot of unhappy campers at city hall, for sure. I'm wondering if this is also intended as a warning shot to Tory not to undermine Ford's position on the illegal/irregular migrant crisis? Tory has been negotiating separately with the federal government to resolve the refugee claimant housing crisis, with the result that many of the migrants will soon be housed in hotels. Meanwhile, our growing horde of homeless get sleeping bags and maybe a cot in a church basement on cold nights, if they're lucky. It's quite a contrast. A friend who didn't support Ford's Conservatives in the election is now saying he's quickly warming to him. I believe Ford's "I'm in charge here" move will have broader repercussions.

Ford is exercising his legal rights.  The Toronto City Council has been a watchword for dysfunctional airheads for many many decades and Fords changes are long overdue.

His refusal to do much more than make a few nice speeches on housing for immigrants from the USA who by Canadian, American, & UN law are all illlegal (!) makes sense since immigration is a Federal matter.

Ditto for guns.  The Province has no legal say in the matter, and of course neither does the city of Toronto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2018 at 1:15 PM, Leon said:

 

His refusal to do much more than make a few nice speeches on housing for immigrants from the USA who by Canadian, American, & UN law are all illlegal (!) makes sense since immigration is a Federal matter.

 

Wrong! Under the Canadian Constitution, immigration is a shared federal/provincial responsibility. You need not take my word for it, just read the federal government web page linked below, which states: "Under Canada’s Constitution, responsibility for immigration is shared between the federal and provincial/territorial governments."

Clearly, Ford has every right to take a stand on immigration and refugee issues. It is his government's legal right to do so.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/agreements/federal-provincial-territorial.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 9:33 PM, eyeball said:

What question was that exactly?

Too many questions to quote right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 8:56 PM, turningrite said:

Things are certainly getting silly at Queen's Park. Based on today's debacle at Queen's Park, it seems that Ford picked up a lot of tips on pointless political bickering during his years at Toronto city hall. It was bedlam down at the Park today. Let's hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Things have always been done silly, ridiculous and stupid at Queen's Park. The liberals and socialists are now on the run with nowhere to hide. It is going to be sweet to watch Ford clean out the swamp of Queen's Park of the pro gay pro sick pathetic sex agenda of Toronto and Ontario sick liberal and socialist communist politics. it's time to get back to making Ontario great again. Go, Ford, Go. The moral and decent and patriotic people are with you.  :) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Ford lost his bid to reduce the size of Toronto city council. Based primarily on the timing of Ford's act, in the midst of an election period that was already underway, a judge today restored the 47 seat council format for the upcoming municipal election. Personally, I favored a reduced council but was opposed to the fashion in which the change was made. I think democracy won today although taxpayers might not have.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-judge-rules-against-fords-move-to-cut-toronto-council/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turningrite said:

Well, Ford lost his bid to reduce the size of Toronto city council. Based primarily on the timing of Ford's act, in the midst of an election period that was already underway, a judge today restored the 47 seat council format for the upcoming municipal election. Personally, I favored a reduced council but was opposed to the fashion in which the change was made. I think democracy won today although taxpayers might not have.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-judge-rules-against-fords-move-to-cut-toronto-council/

 

Just saw him on tv.   He's got a good answer for everything - he even got a journalist flustered when that moronic reporter asked him if he's behaving like a dictator.

Ford just countered that.  he's got a good point, too.   The judge is an appointee - Ford is an elected Premier.  Ford is simply following the mandate that got him elected.  And it's true, I never heard anyone interviewed on tv who said it can be challenged.   Everyone says he can do it!

 

Lol.  reporters say, you didn't campaign for this!  He did!  It's under streamlining government and running on efficiency!

 

 

 

Edited by betsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doug Ford, like Agent Orange, another politician who has no use for constitutions or the safeguards they provide against political excess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Doug Ford, like Agent Orange, another politician who has no use for constitutions or the safeguards they provide against political excess.

Good. I have no use for Trudeau's Charter anyway. All it has done is made massive amounts of money for lawyers and slowed down every single thing we do in this country. It's also enabled legions of lawyers to push their own agendas and then find some fig-leaf of justification with the Charter. Our law schools are all heavily politicized and indoctrinate students with the view that their job, as lawyers, is to push for a progressive agenda. Hell, the Ontario bar association is now requiring all lawyers to put down, in writing, how devoted and dedicated they are to progressive ideals! 

Political excess can be remedied by voting the bums out of office. What do we do about judicial excess? 

Cities, all municipalities, are the creations of the provinces. They have no constitutional protections. The provinces can create or change them, can change their borders, merge them, get rid of them, and change how they operate however they damn well want under the BNA act. This judge coming up with the novel excuse that reducing the Toronto council goes against the "freedom of expression" of the candidates is ludicrous. Personally, I don't give a damn how many council seats there is in Toronto - or for that matter, where I live. I do care about judicial political activism, though, and am happy someone outside Quebec finally had the balls to push back.

Now cue all the squealing progressive talking about the end of democracy...

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Argus said:

Good. I have no use for Trudeau's Charter anyway. All it has done is made massive amounts of money for lawyers and slowed down every single thing we do in this country. It's also enabled legions of lawyers to push their own agendas and then find some fig-leaf of justification with the Charter. Our law schools are all heavily politicized and indoctrinate students with the view that their job, as lawyers, is to push for a progressive agenda. Hell, the Ontario bar association is now requiring all lawyers to put down, in writing, how devoted and dedicated they are to progressive ideals! 

Political excess can be remedied by voting the bums out of office. What do we do about judicial excess? 

Cities, all municipalities, are the creations of the provinces. They have no constitutional protections. The provinces can create or change them, can change their borders, merge them, get rid of them, and change how they operate however they damn well want under the BNA act. This judge coming up with the novel excuse that reducing the Toronto council goes against the "freedom of expression" of the candidates is ludicrous. Personally, I don't give a damn how many council seats there is in Toronto - or for that matter, where I live. I do care about judicial political activism, though, and am happy someone outside Quebec finally had the balls to push back.

Now cue all the squealing progressive talking about the end of democracy...

 

 If there is no constitution with institutions and people willing to defend it, what makes you think there will be elections in the future? What is to stop a populist from making themselves ruler for life? Certainly no law that they themselves can't change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wilber said:

 If there is no constitution with institutions and people willing to defend it, what makes you think there will be elections in the future? What is to stop a populist from making themselves ruler for life? Certainly no law that they themselves can't change.

The BNA act requires elections every five years at minimum. And realistically, a populist with sufficient public support can change the Charter easier than he can the BNA act.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Argus said:

The BNA act requires elections every five years at minimum. And realistically, a populist with sufficient public support can change the Charter easier than he can the BNA act.

There is no longer a BNA Act,  it was replaced  by the Canadian Constitution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Argus said:

Good. I have no use for Trudeau's Charter anyway. All it has done is made massive amounts of money for lawyers and slowed down every single thing we do in this country. It's also enabled legions of lawyers to push their own agendas and then find some fig-leaf of justification with the Charter. Our law schools are all heavily politicized and indoctrinate students with the view that their job, as lawyers, is to push for a progressive agenda. Hell, the Ontario bar association is now requiring all lawyers to put down, in writing, how devoted and dedicated they are to progressive ideals! 

Political excess can be remedied by voting the bums out of office. What do we do about judicial excess? 

Cities, all municipalities, are the creations of the provinces. They have no constitutional protections. The provinces can create or change them, can change their borders, merge them, get rid of them, and change how they operate however they damn well want under the BNA act. This judge coming up with the novel excuse that reducing the Toronto council goes against the "freedom of expression" of the candidates is ludicrous. Personally, I don't give a damn how many council seats there is in Toronto - or for that matter, where I live. I do care about judicial political activism, though, and am happy someone outside Quebec finally had the balls to push back.

Now cue all the squealing progressive talking about the end of democracy...

 

While it's my understanding that the ruling cites the Charter rationale but also addresses the more salient issue of subversion of democratic process. It's simply improper in a democracy to change an election process after that process is underway. Some candidates had made professional decisions and sunk considerable sums into campaigning when Ford pulled the plug on them. At least with the election now (presumably) reverting to 47 wards we'll get a chance for real debate. Ford can reintroduce his legislation to apply to the next municipal election, scheduled for 2022. He could even reduce council terms to 3 years from 4, which in my opinion wouldn't be a bad thing. But changing the rules in the middle of an election simply wasn't/isn't democratic, nor was/is it fair.

Edited by turningrite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...