Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scribblet

Home Smart Hubs

Just wondering what everyone thinks about them and what they recommend.  I've actually ordered the  https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/amazon-echo-plus-with-alexa-english-black/11983812.aspx?   as it was cheaper than at Amazon.  Also I can return it directly if I needed to, it's a pain to return mail order stuff from Amazon, plus there's a charge.

We don't have a smart home yet and probably won't go full tilt as we are not in a big city, if I were in Toronto I would.    Also reading up on security after watching market place the other night on hacking security cameras.   

56 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Just wondering what everyone thinks about them and what they recommend.  I've actually ordered the  https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/amazon-echo-plus-with-alexa-english-black/11983812.aspx?   as it was cheaper than at Amazon.  Also I can return it directly if I needed to, it's a pain to return mail order stuff from Amazon, plus there's a charge.

We don't have a smart home yet and probably won't go full tilt as we are not in a big city, if I were in Toronto I would.    Also reading up on security after watching market place the other night on hacking security cameras.   

Don't do it.  Hideous things.  You'll end up like those poor bastards on Wall-E, a horror film from a few years back.

I think you are right...  My son just talked me out of for security reasons.   He says they all gather information and can send it out, can be hacked yadda yadda..  he was just adamant, don't buy one.    Am going to cancel it now.    He also mentioned Bixby on the smart phone but he doesn't recommend using that either. 

Do not allow these devices in your home. They are always on and always listening. They pose a huge security and privacy risk.  Even the smart TVs that have mic's build in pose the same risk.

'The Internet of Things' needs to be slowed down and every risk needs to be considered. 

It also puts the control of things out of your hands, and into tech that is flawed and into 3rd party entities that are subject to hacking attempts. Your home actually becomes LESS safe with these devices in your home.  IF you can access it remotely,y so can someone else. 

• Like 1

meh... I use several smart devices and they are fantastic.  Smart speakers are fine for news, music and weather but you'll want a smart display for recipes and such. I've had a Nest thermostat for a while now and it is fantastic in conjunction with Google Home. I can set it to turn on ahead of my morning alarm (which now includes my personal news feed and sports scores) or when I get close to home, etc. I can also ask Google to change the temperature verbally. I can turn on and off lights while on vacation, I can turn on and off devices and appliances manually remotely or via various schedules.

The ability to have music follow me through the house or stream to multiple speakers at once is also a nice touch.  The fact that all of this is achieved cheaply and wirelessly without effort is outstanding.

Those afraid of the man should probably stop leaking little personal details on online forums.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, Slick said:

meh... I use several smart devices and they are fantastic.  Smart speakers are fine for news, music and weather but you'll want a smart display for recipes and such. I've had a Nest thermostat for a while now and it is fantastic in conjunction with Google Home. I can set it to turn on ahead of my morning alarm (which now includes my personal news feed and sports scores) or when I get close to home, etc. I can also ask Google to change the temperature verbally. I can turn on and off lights while on vacation, I can turn on and off devices and appliances manually remotely or via various schedules.

The ability to have music follow me through the house or stream to multiple speakers at once is also a nice touch.  The fact that all of this is achieved cheaply and wirelessly without effort is outstanding.

Those afraid of the man should probably stop leaking little personal details on online forums.

I'm not afraid of the man.  I'm afraid of atrophy.

11 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I'm not afraid of the man.  I'm afraid of atrophy.

I think you mean apathy.

11 hours ago, Slick said:

Facebook had a hack that exposed 50 million accounts.  And devices that are always on, collect all your personal details whenever you speak.

11 hours ago, GostHacked said:

I think you mean apathy.

No, I actually mean atrophy.  If you don't use it, you lose it.