Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Carbon882

China or Trump? And weak Canadian identity.

Recommended Posts

We’ve had this conversation.  Brain drain was a 90’s phenomenon when we had a bad recession.  Net migration is low.  Yes your size makes certain jobs available that we don’t have, but it’s a very minor flow.  If you want to do a tech start-up, something in genetics, AI, biomedical, astrophysics, it’s all here.  We were the third country to put a satellite in space.  The telephone, smart phone, insulin, IMAX, hockey, and basketball all came out of Canada. There’s no shortage of opportunities. You just like to think we’re an extension of the US.  I’ve said it before: The US could learn a few things about policy from us, on immigration, gun control, and dealing with inner city problems, but you won’t listen unless we flatter you and let you think it was your idea.  It’s like Kanye asking Trump to end Stop and Frisk. You’ve become quite fearful, and it’s playing out in anti immigrant sentiment and more public policy that allows the rich to wall themselves off from the neglected and throw the trouble makers in jail.  That’s the spectacle we see from up here and it really detracts from all the great things about America.  I won’t even get into your prez’s climate change denial.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

We’ve had this conversation.  Brain drain was a 90’s phenomenon when we had a bad recession.  Net migration is low.  Yes your size makes certain jobs available that we don’t have, but it’s a very minor flow.  If you want to do a tech start-up, something in genetics, AI, biomedical, astrophysics, it’s all here.  We were the third country to put a satellite in space.  The telephone, smart phone, insulin, IMAX, hockey, and basketball all came out of Canada.

 

Perfect example of the net migration reality you refuse to acknowledge....basketball was invented by a Canadian (James Naismith), the son of Scottish immigrants to Canada, who emigrated to the United States.  He developed the game of basketball in Springfield, Mass. and went on to earn his medical degree in Colorado, and coached at the University of Kansas.  He lived his last years in Kansas, where he was buried as an American, having become a naturalized citizen in 1925.

More Canadians have emigrated to the United States than Americans emigrating to Canada, despite the much larger U.S. population.   There must be reasons why so many Canadians and their families would uproot themselves and cross an international border...for life in a foreign country.

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, it's an old conversation.  Early on in your history and it was your warmer climate and greater freedoms that drew Canadians (after the Loyalists fled the U.S. to settle places like Ontario and New Brunswick).  Now we're freer.  You still have the warmer climate and the economy of scale derived from your larger population, but you've also got your violence, inner city blights, and all the goodies we've talked about.  There are still many great things about America, but they come at a price.  Your exaggerations about net migration fly in the face of the data.  It's a very small outflow, again, as we discussed.  We need new topics.  Nationalism is boring.

Edited by Zeitgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Again, it's an old conversation.  Early on in your history and it was your warmer climate and greater freedoms that drew Canadians (after the Loyalists fled the U.S. to settle places like Ontario and New Brunswick).  Now we're freer.  You still have the warmer climate and the economy of scale derived from your larger population, but you've also got your violence, inner city blights, and all the goodies we've talked about.  There are still many great things about America, but they come at a price.  Your exaggerations about net migration fly in the face of the data.  It's a very small outflow, again, as we discussed.  We need new topics.  Nationalism is boring.

 

Nope....the conversation will continue to repeat because Canadian net migration losses will continue to repeat.

The America haters never have a good answer for this fact....except to blame it on better weather.

Canada's best and brightest know they can be better and brighter by leaving Canada for the "evil" USA.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Nope....the conversation will continue to repeat because Canadian net migration losses will continue to repeat.

The America haters never have a good answer for this fact....except to blame it on better weather.

Canada's best and brightest know they can be better and brighter by leaving Canada for the "evil" USA.

Pure fiction, though we did get some Yanks up here after the travel ban.  I know many progressives down there like it up here.  Maybe you should consider a Canamerican States of America where the Dem states join us.  Bet they'd love Trudeau presiding over Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, California, Oregon, Washington, Maine, and many others.  I know, Republicans' worst nightmare.  Hey, you keep courting western Canada.  The door swings both ways.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zeitgeist said:

Pure fiction, though we did get some Yanks up here after the travel ban.  I know many progressives down there like it up here.  Maybe you should consider a Canamerican States of America where the Dem states join us.  Bet they'd love Trudeau presiding over Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, California, Oregon, Washington, Maine, and many others.  I know, Republicans' worst nightmare.  Hey, you keep courting western Canada.  The door swings both ways.

 

The door swings and has swung far more one way than the other...far more Canadians voting with their feet regardless of politics.

Going to the USA is a..."Canadian value"....whether it be emigration, snowbird tourism, cross border shopping, American media, faster access to abortions, etc., etc.

Access to the U.S. border is being debated yet again in Canada because of all the stoners who want their criminal records pardoned now that weed is legal.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

The door swings and has swung far more one way than the other...far more Canadians voting with their feet regardless of politics.

Going to the USA is a..."Canadian value"....whether it be emigration, snowbird tourism, cross border shopping, American media, faster access to abortions, etc., etc.

Access to the U.S. border is being debated yet again in Canada because of all the stoners who want their criminal records pardoned now that weed is legal.

 

You just keep telling yourself that.  It's 'What me worry?' while Rome burns.  My guess is Florida will be under water and the Republicans will be saying humans haven't impacted climate change and rising tides are just part of the natural cycle.  Yes weed, another example of our greater freedom.  I'll give you the snowbird tourism.  You guys should ban anyone who has ever tried weed from entering the U.S..  That way Canadians and Europeans won't spend any more hard-earned money down there.  I'm sure you don't mind Disney folding.  We have all the same cheap outlet mall crap you do, cheaper now here due to your tariffs on China.  All the high flyer decadence too: Saks, Nordstrom, Simons.  No need to shop south.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zeitgeist said:

You just keep telling yourself that.  It's 'What me worry?' while Rome burns.  My guess is Florida will be under water and the Republicans will be saying humans haven't impacted climate change and rising tides are just part of the natural cycle.

 

Florida is suppose to be under water....ever heard of the Everglades ?   My guess is that many thousands of Canadians who go there to escape from their own nation's weather will have to just go to another red state like Texas or Arizona.    U.S. is still doing better on emissions reductions that Canada.

 

Quote

Yes weed, another example of our greater freedom.  I'll give you the snowbird tourism.  You guys should ban anyone who has ever tried weed from entering the U.S..  That way Canadians and Europeans won't spend any more hard-earned money down there.  I'm sure you don't mind Disney folding.  We have all the same cheap outlet mall crap you do, cheaper now here due to your tariffs on China.  All the high flyer decadence too: Saks, Nordstrom, Simons.  No need to shop south.

 

Yawn...several states legalized weed years ago, without any worries or concern about what Canadian border guards would think about it.   That is the BIG DIFFERENCE.

I agree that all convicted criminals from Canada should be denied entry into the USA....pardon or no pardon. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Florida is suppose to be under water....ever heard of the Everglades ?   My guess is that many thousands of Canadians who go there to escape from their own nation's weather will have to just go to another red state like Texas or Arizona.    U.S. is still doing better on emissions reductions that Canada.

 

 

Yawn...several states legalized weed years ago, without any worries or concern about what Canadian border guards would think about it.   That is the BIG DIFFERENCE.

I agree that all convicted criminals from Canada should be denied entry into the USA....pardon or no pardon. 

Go further.  Don't let any foreigners who have tried weed enter America.  It's illegal according to your Feds, no matter what individual states decide.  Sessions would love it.  You might lose many billions in tourism dollars, but who cares?  You can make your billions selling more arms to the Saudis.  Journalists critical of the regime are just SJW's anyway.  Who needs them? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Go further.  Don't let any foreigners who have tried weed enter America.

 

Won't make any difference for Canadian stoners....the U.S. border beckons them as the gateway to what Canada is lacking.  

Mexicans and Canadians want in...it's hard to keep them out !

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Won't make any difference for Canadian stoners....the U.S. border beckons them as the gateway to what Canada is lacking.  

Mexicans and Canadians want in...it's hard to keep them out !

Really?  I was going to ask for your help stemming the tide of migrants from the U.S..  We're running out of hotel space.  Appreciate the impact on our tax base.  I'm sure your prez gets that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Really?  I was going to ask for your help stemming the tide of migrants from the U.S..  We're running out of hotel space.  Appreciate the impact on our tax base.  I'm sure your prez gets that.

 

Yes...really.    The stoners are worried about weed convictions and pardons, including U.S. border entry.   I don't know why they care so much about getting into the United States, but I am not a Canadian stoner.    Build more hotels...Trump isn't done yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Yes...really.    The stoners are worried about weed convictions and pardons, including U.S. border entry.   I don't know why they care so much about getting into the United States, but I am not a Canadian stoner.    Build more hotels...Trump isn't done yet.

We're all paying the price for your prez's xenophobia.  We should get tariff money for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like basketball, invented by a Canadian, football is another Canadian sport Americans like to take credit for.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it with some Canadian weed:

How Canada created American football, (May 14 1874)
By Marc Montgomery | [email protected]
Wednesday 14 May, 2014 , 16 Comments ↓
FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestWeChatEmailPrint
Though American websites seldom, if ever, mention it, the origins of another of their greatest professional sports actually came from Canada.
 A William Notman composite of the May 13-14 matches between Harvard and McGill Universities which changed the American sport of “foot-ball” forever. © William Notman-McGill ARchives
While Canadian James Naismith invented basketball, American “football” developed as a result of a rugby game against a squad from Canada’s McGill University
On May 13 and 14, two games were played in the US between Harvard University and McGill. The first was played using Harvard’s rules, which was a game more like soccer and using a round ball, the second was played using McGill rules, with an oval ball.
The Harvard game was a soccer variation known as the “Boston Game.” This allowed a player to pick up the ball and run with it if he were chased, but if the chaser stopped, the person being chased had to throw or kick the ball. The Canadian variation allowed players to carry the ball, introduced the idea of “downs”, and also tackling.
As it turned out the Americans won the first game 3-0, while the second game was a scoreless tie. However, the Harvard squad so enjoyed the Canadian innovations to the game that they introduced them into a match against Yale University the following year. Observers from Princeton also like the game and introduced it to their university
American sources tend to cite this all US game as the start of American football, ignoring the fact that Canada was the source of the Harvard game.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 11:15 AM, Zeitgeist said:

Really?  I was going to ask for your help stemming the tide of migrants from the U.S..  We're running out of hotel space.  Appreciate the impact on our tax base.  I'm sure your prez gets that.

Not really accurate. Immigrant from south america that your pm invited. We should charge canada a toll cost for inviting them to pass through. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 9:06 AM, Carbon882 said:

I'm not really sure on the details but it seems like Trump is gonna make Canada choose between China or the United States.

.I wanna say China right off the bat even thought it would be the less profitable option. Trump or who ever is working threw Trump has certainly trashed the United States diplomatic reputation. Our Relations with the United States have deteriorated to the lowest point since World war 2. China is far away and wont try to annex our land like

In what way do you imagine China will be more accommodating or more fair in their trade relationship than the US?

The US will never annex Canada so long as its a democracy since that would mean tens of millions more "left wing" voters into their electoral system.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Argus said:

In what way do you imagine China will be more accommodating or more fair in their trade relationship than the US?

The US will never annex Canada so long as its a democracy since that would mean tens of millions more "left wing" voters into their electoral system.

 

Ya got us there, but i believe.... one day we will make canada great again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 4:04 AM, Zeitgeist said:

Like basketball, invented by a Canadian, football is another Canadian sport Americans like to take credit for.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it with some Canadian weed:

How Canada created American football, (May 14 1874)
By Marc Montgomery | [email protected]
Wednesday 14 May, 2014 , 16 Comments ↓
FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestWeChatEmailPrint
Though American websites seldom, if ever, mention it, the origins of another of their greatest professional sports actually came from Canada.
 A William Notman composite of the May 13-14 matches between Harvard and McGill Universities which changed the American sport of “foot-ball” forever. © William Notman-McGill ARchives
While Canadian James Naismith invented basketball, American “football” developed as a result of a rugby game against a squad from Canada’s McGill University
On May 13 and 14, two games were played in the US between Harvard University and McGill. The first was played using Harvard’s rules, which was a game more like soccer and using a round ball, the second was played using McGill rules, with an oval ball.
The Harvard game was a soccer variation known as the “Boston Game.” This allowed a player to pick up the ball and run with it if he were chased, but if the chaser stopped, the person being chased had to throw or kick the ball. The Canadian variation allowed players to carry the ball, introduced the idea of “downs”, and also tackling.
As it turned out the Americans won the first game 3-0, while the second game was a scoreless tie. However, the Harvard squad so enjoyed the Canadian innovations to the game that they introduced them into a match against Yale University the following year. Observers from Princeton also like the game and introduced it to their university
American sources tend to cite this all US game as the start of American football, ignoring the fact that Canada was the source of the Harvard game.
 

 

 

Nobody cares about that!

 

The issue here is how we're going to make Carbon882's hopes come true!

Edited by romeoromeo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Trump administration is tightening the screws on Chinese steel, and Canada/Mexico may get caught up in the investigation for DUMPING (again):

 

Quote

Fabricated Structural Steel From Canada, China, and Mexico; Institution of Anti-Dumping and Countervailing Duty Investigations and Scheduling of Preliminary Phase Investigations

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/02/11/2019-01730/fabricated-structural-steel-from-canada-china-and-mexico-institution-of-anti-dumping-and

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Daddy Trump President of Canada, saving us from the Chinese Communists and their Canadian leftist cronies.   Down with the Cultural Protectorate, let it burn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Big Daddy Trump President of Canada, saving us from the Chinese Communists and their Canadian leftist cronies.   Down with the Cultural Protectorate, let it burn.

So what you’re saying is down with Quebec’s and Acadia’s French cultures, down with Canada’s Indigenous cultures, down with the multiculturalism that promotes expression of immigrant cultures, and down with anything distinctly Canadian in French, Indigenous, and English Canada.   You’re certainly against a lot.  Might have a hard time winning the support of voters in democratic Canada.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

So what you’re saying is down with Quebec’s and Acadia’s French cultures, down with Canada’s Indigenous cultures, down with the multiculturalism that promotes expression of immigrant cultures, and down with anything distinctly Canadian in French, Indigenous, and English Canada.   You’re certainly against a lot.  Might have a hard time winning the support of voters in democratic Canada.  

It will bring itself down under its own weight, as the Americans decline to prop it up anymore, Trump simply being the first shot across the bow, more to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It will bring itself down under its own weight, as the Americans decline to prop it up anymore, Trump simply being the first shot across the bow, more to follow.

Trump has enough on his plate keeping himself propped up these days.  Sure if he wants to write an executive order to invade Canada, that would be the most ridiculous true life comedy.  See if you can lead the charge, expressing your loyalty to Queen Liz.  WTF?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Trump has enough on his plate keeping himself propped up these days.  Sure if he wants to write an executive order to invade Canada, that would be the most ridiculous true life comedy.  See if you can lead the charge, expressing your loyalty to Queen Liz.  WTF?!

The Americans will simply transfer their corporate welfare make work back to the CONUS and/or Mexico.

America will simply stop allowing Canada to have American first world pharmaceuticals at third world prices.

America will simply raise protectionist barriers to harden and thicken the border.

Canadians will continue to clamber for American products and services, particularly healthcare, media, and equity at Manhattan.

This will bring the Cultural Protectorate down, nary a shot fired, by sheer market forces.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

The Americans will simply transfer their corporate welfare make work back to the CONUS and/or Mexico.

America will simply stop allowing Canada to have American first world pharmaceuticals at third world prices.

America will simply raise protectionist barriers to harden and thicken the border.

Canadians will continue to clamber for American products and services, particularly healthcare, media, and equity at Manhattan.

This will bring the Cultural Protectorate down, nary a shot fired, by sheer market forces.

 

Let me know how it goes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...