Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JamesHackerMP

Astronomy

Just now, JamesHackerMP said:

Aren't our space probes made in a "clean room" so that that sort of thing doesn't happen?

As clean as possible...let's call it.

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

As clean as possible...let's call it.

So there's always the possibility of contamination? Sux. But I'm sure there are ways a probe could see through the ice at its thinnest portions, so we would not have to drill through.

One of the better threads I have started! (Probably more interesting than a discussion on parliamentary democracy I'll admit lol)

Edited by JamesHackerMP

2 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

So there's always the possibility of contamination? Sux. But I'm sure there are ways a probe could see through the ice at its thinnest portions, so we would not have to drill through.

One of the better threads I have started! (Probably more interesting than a discussion on parliamentary democracy I'll admit lol)

Don't discount this upcoming Mars landing...it's designed to hunt for signs of life. Four more days...

https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/

Just now, JamesHackerMP said:

Thats going awfully fast! Do they use some sort of technique like the "aerobraking" in 2010?

Yes...similar to Curiosity & Opportunity. 

Amazing! One wonders how far away we are from a colony. I think the people who have so far reserved "seats" on a potential Martian mission are jumping the gun, though.

6 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Amazing! One wonders how far away we are from a colony. I think the people who have so far reserved "seats" on a potential Martian mission are jumping the gun, though.

Due to the approx 2 year wait for opposition, Mars missions with humans aboard will have to be WELL thought-out.

http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/mars-oppositions.htm

Jupiter...including Jovian Trojan asteroids at -60 and +60  

jupiter1.thumb.jpg.ab5793025020dc4cbf6ba1f6be7b5dd1.jpgjupiter2.thumb.jpg.ae95604a4d1efad326ca77c422f86fd4.jpgjupiter3.thumb.jpg.928fb8cdad431e29dea409cb8c829c87.jpgjupiter4.thumb.jpg.8daba70a58325f16faa01ef3d8c790d7.jpgjupiter6.thumb.jpg.ea4ce2043562ef5536534046e44bea05.jpgjupiter7.thumb.jpg.3c548d5da6a4c4ec4a8d9c8a92591122.jpgjupiter8.thumb.jpg.849885847e277d385a86ec5baeb23cd5.jpgjupiter9.thumb.jpg.6ec7fc71aafd7f055a796ef8f1e56f9b.jpg

jupiter9a.thumb.jpg.b53674057155e2e56765aeb22477adb6.jpg

jupiter5.thumb.jpg.db38a583eee0deedafaa2bb66d342392.jpg

Edited by DogOnPorch

Kickass!

I've only seen Mars a couple of times through my telescope. Even under 150-ish magnification it's very very small. Rather disappointing. I think you have to get used to viewing it to really get what it looks like.

4 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Welcome to the topic, James. Do you own a telescope? (doesn't matter if you don't; we're just talking astronomy here.)

When I saw that in the summary I thought you'd lost it.  I thought you were talking to yourself...

• Haha 1

Jupiter somewhat overexposed to show the ring structure.

Jupiter1162029.thumb.jpg.fc39e9c47a59bbba62e1dc15ace92af6.jpg

Image from the recent New Horizons flyby of Ultima Thule, the most remote object ever visited by a human spacecraft:

Ultima-Thule-cover-09ce458.jpg?quality=4

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Thule is a KBO, isn't it?

Possibly...but it is definitely a TNO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Neptunian_object

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(486958)_2014_MU69

Edited by DogOnPorch

On 11/24/2018 at 5:10 PM, bcsapper said:

Electron rocket launches DARPA R3D2 satellite from Launch Complex 1 on Mahia Peninsula, New Zealand, on 28 March 2019.