Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JamesHackerMP

Astronomy

Recommended Posts

Landing the Arrow Freighter on Mars using Orbiter 2016. Not my video.

Fairly complex craft...all the steps are shown.

AR1-01.jpg

Edited by DogOnPorch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 12:06 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

Anyone own a telescope? I've owned one for a few years now and enjoy looking at stuff in outer space. Any other astronomy  junkies out there?

A telescope is something that I have always wanted to own but never bothered to buy one. What the hell am i waiting for is beyond me. How stupid is that, eh? No nasty reply, please. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 12:46 AM, taxme said:

A telescope is something that I have always wanted to own but never bothered to buy one. What the hell am i waiting for is beyond me. How stupid is that, eh? No nasty reply, please. :D 

Make sure you do research before you buy one. Do you want an old fashioned one (that you have to aim yourself) or a "go-to" that does it for you? Take into account that there is some legerdemain involved in the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Make sure you do research before you buy one. Do you want an old fashioned one (that you have to aim yourself) or a "go-to" that does it for you? Take into account that there is some legerdemain involved in the latter.

I just want a real good telescope to be able to go and see way out there in space. The prices for some of the good ones are quite expensive. I am going to ask Santa next Christmas to bring me one. Santa has not brought me much since I said that Santa does not exist. I think that he heard me. Sometimes my big mouth does get me in trouble. LOL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 2:07 PM, taxme said:

I just want a real good telescope to be able to go and see way out there in space. The prices for some of the good ones are quite expensive. I am going to ask Santa next Christmas to bring me one. Santa has not brought me much since I said that Santa does not exist. I think that he heard me. Sometimes my big mouth does get me in trouble. LOL. 

If you're looking to get the most aperature for the cheapest price for deep sky observing, a Newtonian reflector is the ticket.  You can get a decent size 6-10" dobsonian for pretty reasonable price compared to similar sized SCT's, or Maksutov-cassegrains, etc. and they basically do the same thing, minus the mount.  Personally I think it's better to start out with a basic mount without goto, as it encourages you to learn the sky better, and finding some of those elusive deep sky objects is half the fun IMHO.  There are some limitations to going this route, such as photography, etc.  but that's a whole other ballgame ...and the scope is usually the cheapest part of a good astro-photography rig.  The other disadvantage of reflectors is their size...if you're looking for anything larger than a 10" objective, dobsonians are big and cumbersome unless you go with a truss tube, which are a bit more work to set up but easier to store and transport.

I started out with a 10" dobsonion and a few good quality eyepieces and filters.  I added a push-to object locator/ finder (Orion intelliscope) later on, which definitely helped find those dim fuzzy galaxies and nebulae.  My rig is easy to use, and everything I need to resolve most of the deep sky objects that I'm interested in observing (although it's hard to resist wanting more aperture once you get into it).

Having said all that, there's lots you can observe with a good pair of binoculars or a spotting scope if you're interested in planetary viewing or open clusters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...