Political Discussion Forums
turningrite

GM packing its bags in Oshawa

I think GM and Ford's business move are un-patriotic and short sighted. They've basically moved all their sedan production to China while making nothing but Large SUV and Trucks for exuberant prices. This is silly because gas is a limited commodity and will eventually bounce back up. Once oil prices goes back to 150 a barrel no one will be buying these large vehicles. But I'm sure the business analyst at GM and Ford knows this. They're just banking on having their core business in China and not America. 

37 minutes ago, paxamericana said:

I think GM and Ford's business move are un-patriotic and short sighted. They've basically moved all their sedan production to China while making nothing but Large SUV and Trucks for exuberant prices. This is silly because gas is a limited commodity and will eventually bounce back up. Once oil prices goes back to 150 a barrel no one will be buying these large vehicles. But I'm sure the business analyst at GM and Ford knows this. They're just banking on having their core business in China and not America. 

I think once governments in North America started abandoning anti-climate change policies, that signalled government support of low tech guzzlers and the old economy. Those aren’t the products advanced economies will be demanding. Why not be ready with the government policies and products when the emission cutting starts?  Because it will.  The longer we wait the more drastic the cuts. 

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think once governments in North America started abandoning anti-climate change policies, that signalled government support of low tech guzzlers and the old economy. Those aren’t the products advanced economies will be demanding. Why not be ready with the government policies and products when the emission cutting starts?  Because it will.  The longer we wait the more drastic the cuts. 

because france? ....https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46460445

• Like 1

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

Yes but your gas prices are less than half of France’s. 

Slow down there ted kaczynski, GM's short sightedness is one thing, tying it to trump's deregulation which helps the economy is another. 

3 minutes ago, paxamericana said:

Slow down there ted kaczynski, GM's short sightedness is one thing, tying it to trump's deregulation which helps the economy is another. 

No they’re they’re closely connected. Greenhouse gas regulations shape production. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

13 minutes ago, paxamericana said:

Agreed...the climate change alarmists are desperate to link the two, when there are many factors in play. 

GM already lost its ass once on the EV1...made more money with Hummers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, eyeball said:

1.  My recent renovation and conversion of a portion of my home to an AirBnb rental is not just mere speculation. Its a game-changing investment that will make a huge difference in my retirement.  It remains to be seen how far the local powers that be will be lobbied into tilting the internet-based vacation rental playing field towards the big resorts hereabouts but they're trying.  It reminds me of the battle Uber is up against.  It may appear on the face of it that these internet based economic sectors have little local constituency but homeowners do vote and a lot of us are moving in the same direction. Hopefully that'll help.

2. It seems whenever the little guy around here finds a way to make decent money it triggers some sort of automatic spasm oriented towards control and greed amongst governments and vested interests alike, I thought innovation was supposed to be the ticket?  

3. I guess it remains to be seen what will happen when the pool of potential paying customers shrinks due to everyone being laid off. Fortunately I seem to live in a busy attractive tourist destination in what might be a climate change sweet spot that's benefiting from the changes, at least in the relative short-term of the rest of my life.  Hopefully my stack will be okay but I'm nervous about how property values are rising so much, especially in light of the way rising fortunes trigger vested interests and governments to become overly and often mutually concerned/interested.

1.  Hmm.  Well good for you.  Message me some shots of the location I'm interested.

2. :D 

3. Sounds good.

7 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Agreed...the climate change alarmists are desperate to link the two, when there are many factors in play. 

GM already lost its ass once on the EV1...made more money with Hummers.

And yet Hummers have almost completely disappeared.  Monster gas-guzzlers are out.  Even GM seems to realize that going electric is the future. 

1 minute ago, Iznogoud said:

And yet Hummers have almost completely disappeared.  Monster gas-guzzlers are out.  Even GM seems to realize that going electric is the future. 

Not really....derivatives of the GMT800 light truck platform soldier on in the form of Suburbans, Escalades, Yukons, etc.

GM is under no obligation to produce low margin, low sales volume models, especially in high cost areas like Ontario.

8 minutes ago, Iznogoud said:

Umm I think you failed to realize why hummer when out, it was for economic reasons and not environmental. If I could afford to drive a hummer everyday I would. 

Capitalism giveth and taketh. On the bright side, any older GM worker who owns a home in Oshawa has some fairly valuable real estate to sell and could move somewhere much cheaper in Canada. 

19 hours ago, paxamericana said:

Umm I think you failed to realize why hummer when out, it was for economic reasons and not environmental. If I could afford to drive a hummer everyday I would. 

And what were the economic reasons?  I suspect that one of them may have been that the demand for the Hummer declined, possibly due to the fact that they were expensive to run, hard to park, and not particularly traffic friendly.