Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
turningrite

Ford government not off to good start

Several issues have emerged to suggest that the Ford government is less prudent than many might have expected would be the case: 1.) The fiasco over French language services indicates that Ford isn't one to ponder the implications of impetuously made decisions. 2.) His government's pot implementation plan has been clumsy and has done little other than keep the illegal market humming along. 3.) Yesterday, Toronto's city council proposed a massive raise to office budgets to compensate for the reduction in council's size mandated by Ford's government, thus wiping out most if not all the savings Ford touted. This was as predicable as cold winter weather in the Arctic. 4.) Criticism of the process for choosing a new OPP head honcho suggests that Ford doesn't understand the reasonable limits applicable to running a provincial government in a jurisdiction with 14 million people. Did the risk of an appearance of a conflict of interest never occur to him? 5.) And then, this morning, I read that Hydro One's attempted purchase of an American utility has been rejected by a state regulator on grounds of political interference in the corporation's affairs. Among other concerns, Ford got rid of the 6 million dollar man but now, reportedly, Hydro One and presumably its ratepayers are on the hook for a penalty amounting to well over 100 million. Was such an outcome never considered?

Come on Doug, you're going to have to realize that you're not running a fiefdom here. Gut decisions can have very real and sometimes negative consequences.

Edited by turningrite

None of these things bother me. 

Trying to fix mistakes of previous governments costs money. Should Ford do nothing because there are costs to making changes by the wrong-headed Wynne government? 

As if Wynne's CCBO plan would have done any better. 

1 hour ago, Boges said:

None of these things bother me. 

Trying to fix mistakes of previous governments costs money. Should Ford do nothing because there are costs to making changes by the wrong-headed Wynne government? 

As if Wynne's CCBO plan would have done any better. 

So, you believe in the proposition that two wrongs make a right? Hmmm...

I'm skeptical of all governments, left, right and centre. If we don't hold all politicians accountable in real time we get bad government, whatever the ideological preferences of our leaders.

Edited by turningrite